Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Turning on gas for a cuppa!

diny

diny

Vehicle
Looking to buy
When the dealer demonstrated my new Cali at handover he instructed me to turn the gas off and on at the bottle. Being used to a caravan I asked if there wasn't a turn on/off lever nearer the cooker. He said "No". Now I am loading the cupboard for imminent departure I have of course discovered the red lever (and am assuming it's gas!) accessed through the rearmost bottom kitchen cupboard!
My question is (and there may be more to come!) when travelling do you turn gas off at both bottle and red lever, or leave the bottle open and just use the lever?

At the bottle only most times.

I often forget that the lever is there.

When the dealer demonstrated my new Cali at handover he instructed me to turn the gas off and on at the bottle. Being used to a caravan I asked if there wasn't a turn on/off lever nearer the cooker. He said "No". Now I am loading the cupboard for imminent departure I have of course discovered the red lever (and am assuming it's gas!) accessed through the rearmost bottom kitchen cupboard!
My question is (and there may be more to come!) when travelling do you turn gas off at both bottle and red lever, or leave the bottle open and just use the lever?
I think the red lever you are referring to might be the waste drain tap. The gas tap is directly under the hob. I would not drive with gas on in case a collision damages the pipe work.

When you say red lever and bottom it makes me wonder whether you've "found" the waste tank emptier. There is a gas switch at the top of the cupboard under the hob.

I turn off the red one in the cupboard before any journey but the bottle one only for long journeys. I think this a lazy solution based on camping mostly in the rainy season and having a rear cupboard stuffed with stuff.

You should turn off the cupboard one if you are leaving the van for any time but always turn off the bottle before traveling.

This forum had lots existing treads with info on this , in the end each does this his own way using common sense.
Also info in the manual , can't belive yet a again a dealer with lack of knowledge.
The exploding van topic just recent got the whole thing starting all over again.

Use your head accidents can happen at all time even if you follow every rule by the book;)

Always turn mine off at the bottle minimises the chance of leaks and unforeseen occurences.

In the event of an accident there are less potential locations for a leak to occur well there is one instead of several.

The big red lever empties the waste tank.

There's a turn / off knob for the gas in at the top inside of the left hand cupboard (under the left gas ring towards the front)

I started out turning off at the bottle every time, then got irritated with that and did it only for long journeys.

Then I asked my self why I though it more likely to be necessary on a long journey, and couldn;'t find a sensible answer so now i leave it on.

The good thing is, for those who turn off (reasons escape me) at least you don't have far to go to check. Not like turning around and driving back home!

There is a red knob inside the cupboard under the gas rings that turns off the gas to the cooker - it's a good idea to turn this off when the stove isn't in use when you're camping to reduce the risk of a slow gas leak into the van. When driving I also ALWAYS turn off the gas at the cylinder to reduce the chance of a gas leak if we are involved in a collision

Back