Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas Regulator

michaelj70

michaelj70

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Two Gas Questions

1) Our 3 year old Cali is having gas problems ... Gas very low pressure and takes an age to boil or cook anything. I am sure its the regulator. But where can I find a new regulator. We brought the cali in France where we live. I guess best to take back to Vw dealers but we have many campervan centres closer so I was wondering if they sell them

2) One we get the regulator are they easy to fit ?

Thanks in adavance for your replies

You could take it to a repairer of campers and get the gas pressure tested. I think the cali regulator is a special one for the cali, so get the gas pressure tested first.

John

It's a standard regulator you can buy in your local supermarket/hypermarket in France.
There's nothing special about it because it screws onto a Campingaz bottle. The flexible pipe is just pushed onto the regulator and held by a jubilee clip.

18hunts said:
It's a standard regulator you can buy in your local supermarket/hypermarket in France.
There's nothing special about it because it screws onto a Campingaz bottle. The flexible pipe is just pushed onto the regulator and held by a jubilee clip.

I disagree, it is not a standard regulator, see attached picture.
John

gas.JPG

Or, you could do this, put a snap connector in the line and use a standard regulator from any UK camping/caravan shop for a few quid. Just make sure it's the same pressure as the Cali one.
Makes it easier to get the bottle in/out as well.
P1150345small_zps263ac074.jpg

johnyboy said:
I bought my regulator from Germany on Amazon

I do believe they are sold by truma,

We had a dfiscussion on this last year I believe, I went and bought myself a regulator then when Albert came he already had one fitted :eek:

O.K. i bow to greater knowledge, only i was told a normal regulator would not fit in the space with and the cover of the compartment would not fit.

John :headbang

Hi, I would like to use a 2nd 907 cylinder to run a bbq. It would also be used for a boat, but need a slightly dfferent regulator pressure, 50 mbar not 30 mbar. However, want to get a 2nd valve so simple switch over. But, I cannot work out the thread of the valve, to ensure the regulator fits. Does anyone know what the thread is. Thanks.

Hi, helps with the 907 cylinder end, (m16 1.5) the thread on the cali regulator is not the same size. I know its a left hand thread.

Anyone know where's best to get a new regulator? Just back from France, new gas bottle but still rubbish gas pressure and took to cooking on emergency gas burner outside as hardly enough pressure to boil a kettle for one cup! Both burners the same.

Try go outdoors or any caravan or camping shop should sell a 907 regulater.

Correct, BUT the California doesn't use a standard Camping Gaz regulator. Local VW dealership probably the best bet.

Was trying to avoid a dealership.

On the basis that the original part is prob a fiver and a dealership will charge me ÂŁ40.

I think ÂŁ12 -ÂŁ15 is the price. I think the California regulator might be made by Truma?

Might well be usefull cleaning the cookerheads , if grease enters the small hole where gas comes out ... not enough flames to cook.

My gas pressure started to perform inconsistent
Ordered replacement from club shop
Swapped over and now back to normal,nice to be able to run both rings at once!
I'm one of those persons that don't always shut down the system when not in use,now I'm wondering could it be by not doing so it leaves the regulator under constant pressure,therefore shorting the lifespan
I would have expected more than 3 years service from these regulators
Any how problem sorted :)

Alan

My gas pressure started to perform inconsistent
Ordered replacement from club shop
Swapped over and now back to normal,nice to be able to run both rings at once!
I'm one of those persons that don't always shut down the system when not in use,now I'm wondering could it be by not doing so it leaves the regulator under constant pressure,therefore shorting the lifespan
I would have expected more than 3 years service from these regulators
Any how problem sorted :)

Alan
Just ordered a new regulator from Cali shop (mine is 3 years old). Started having gas flow problems and this weekend no gas flow despite good pressure from the bottle without valve on. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Arrived today and fitted in 2 minutes and back to normal. Working well. I also leave bottle connected ie open for long periods. Maybe that caused issue with regulator? Happy to be able to make a cup of tea again.

Arrived today and fitted in 2 minutes and back to normal. Working well. I also leave bottle connected ie open for long periods. Maybe that caused issue with regulator? Happy to be able to make a cup of tea again.
More likely just a faulty regulator.

IMG_4244.JPG I have fitted my bottle today for the first time.
While the brass. Connector to the bottle and the regulator to that connector is straight forward enough (hand tight) the brass nut from the hose was not already fitted to the regulator.
As this is a fitment that needs an 18mm spanner how tight does it need to be?
I tightened it by hand to about 2/3rds to 3/4 over hand tight.
How does that sound?

View attachment 28405 I have fitted my bottle today for the first time.
While the brass. Connector to the bottle and the regulator to that connector is straight forward enough (hand tight) the brass nut from the hose was not already fitted to the regulator.
As this is a fitment that needs an 18mm spanner how tight does it need to be?
I tightened it by hand to about 2/3rds to 3/4 over hand tight.
How does that sound?
Sounds fine. Check with some Soapy Water, with gas line pressurised, for any leaks.
I use a different system now. On my SE the rubber gas tube was already connected to the Regulator, but I did have to use a spanner, with some effort, to disconnect it when changing my system.