Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gas & water supply in freezing conditions ...?

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Been looking at some lovely pictures of Cali's in snowy conditions here on the forum and I'm wondering how do you hardcore Cali owners manage with the on board gas and water supply's when camping out in freezing conditions ... :?:

I use the principle that the campingaz 907 gas (Butane) will work down to about 3 deg C so if the gas stops working then I would dump the water and revert to a 1 gal container. I also carry a 901 gas bottle which is filled with propane to use in this scenario. to be honest though a recent trip to the apls temperature got down to -5 or 6 with no problem with butane working fine.

Ian

Keeping the interior heated around the clock is the basic rule. During the sunny days you can turn the heating off for a while or using programming if you are around for a trip or skiing.
With this approach you will be fine down to cca -8C during the night.
For lower temperatures I would recommend to drain your both fresh and waste water tanks.

Using propane filled bottles instead of butane is another trick but in that case you have to change both a bottle and a security valve (a standard VW Cali setup for Norwegian market).

There are some options to upgrade the fresh water tank with a special electric heater, but this demands drilling at the bottom of the tank and would probably drain your aux batteries... However I wouldn't take a risk of leaking.
http://www.movera.com/shop/produkte/was ... 285e1.html

You can always use a separate water canister / tank and keep it in the (heated) interior.
For the waste water tank it is the safest way to keep it open all the time if appropriate.

And all kinds of silver thermal screens are essential. I wish that Cali would have an insulation layer installed between the outside wall and cupboards to protect both tanks and prevent a condensation occurring in the cupboards.

Regards, Bostjan

It got down to -2c in deepest Dorset last night but the only thing to freeze up was my arm which I carelessly left dangling out of my sleeping bag :oops:

I have always used propane in the past, this is my first experience with butane in about 40 years I think (we also used paraffin primus stoves in those days, and flints were a luxury item), but I have always understood that down to about -3c it's ok provided it is not exposed to sustained below zero temperatures, which with van heating is unlikely.

Water is another issue. i use bottled anyway for drinking and making cups of tea with so never need to worry about a full water tank, or even half-full. I would advise caution about filling the tank in freezing conditions and as one wise soul said above, perhaps keep the waste drain open.

GrannyJen,
Good tip about using bottle water as a backup, only problem I would have is I drink so much tea that I would need a trailer to store it in :lol:
Hope the weather has been as nice in Dorset the last couple of days as it has been in Essex .

Biggest issue we've ever had with winter camping is getting water from frozen campsite taps in the first place! So take plenty of your own.

Other than that, never experienced a problem, but only winter camped in England. I doubt our antique of a Cali is as well insulated as a modern one. Don't have issues with gas as we cook on alcohol, meths freezes at around -117c I think.

Twentyonethirtyfive
Would that have been the old faithful Trangia stove? Use to use this in my backpacking days.

Yes, just like a trangia, but bigger (about 1L capacity each I think). They are still a popular stove in boats, as you can't have a gas dropout vent on a boat :lol:

Back