Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gates and driveway boundaries, any experience? Gate + Cali = annoyed Matt.

MattBW

MattBW

Here to help
Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
My neighbour and I have adjoining driveways. A while back she had a single large gate that opened away from my drive. The other neighbours with their fencing company that had supplied it noticed it was getting a bit tatty and offered to replace it. Unfortunately they didnt consider my drive or vehicles and replaced it with 2 gates one of which now opens towards my drive.

It's always worried me and I had a few sleepless windy nights when the cali was brand new. When its windy and you hear it rattling inches away from my van. It's not helped that she doesnt put the stay into the lock position (I literally do it every day).

This morning as I was about to drive away, I noticed the gate actually resting against my cali, but thankfully no damage as it was a very calm night (and I didnt pull away). I will be having discussions with the neighbour tonight thankfully she is nice.

So two questions:

1) Is it acceptable to have a gate opening onto my driveway, especially as I park a vehicle there.

2) Anyone know of any decent stops/stays I could drill into the concrete to prevent the gate opening onto my drive even if its loose?

I've dropped citizens advice a mail to ask their view but thought some of you may have experience?

I'm trying to visualise the setup from your description. I presume the Driveway has a double car-widths entrance and your neighbour has gates and you don't? Is that correct?

? A steel post in the ground to prevent the gate, on your side opening beyond 90 degrees?

? A steel post in the ground to prevent the gate, on your side opening beyond 90 degrees?

That is what I would expect, I would also say should the gate damage your Cali she would be at fault. I would approach it as you are trying to save her from this possible fault and cost.

Where's the boundary in relation to the gate or gatepost?

Their gate post and gate should stay on their side on the boundary. It is clearly unacceptable for the gate to swing into the path of your vehicle or, as you describe, into your vehicle, which is on your land.

I agree with Welshgas - offer to place a sturdy post to prevent the gate encroaching.

When the gate is open, does it open outwards and swing over the road or pavement?
Could you post a photo of it if you could please Matt.

I would invite them around for a brew and drop it into conversation that you are worried about it blowing into your ÂŁ50K vehicle.
If she doesn't propose a solution eg, dropping the lock then suggest it.

If she gets difficult then put in a permanent post right on the boundary.

Without a photo it's hard to be specific but as the gate rests against your Cali I guess that it isn't opening onto a Public area. If the gate forms a boundary fence when open it should have a stop device, a post or a bracket on the gate hinge/post keeping the gate off your property.

1) Is it acceptable to have a gate opening onto my driveway, especially as I park a vehicle there.
If it encroaches on your property, it is unacceptable. If it opens onto shared land, e.g. onto a shared driveway or private road, take a look at the property covenants, but I expect it is acceptable. If it opens onto their land over which you have right of access, it is probably acceptable.

A photo would be handy.

If you do put a post in to stop the gate swinging onto your property don't back into it:Nailbiting

I'm trying to visualise the setup from your description. I presume the Driveway has a double car-widths entrance and your neighbour has gates and you don't? Is that correct?

I do have gates but my gates open inwards. I don't have a picture but half of our drives are fenced alongside the house with gates at the end, the other half is unfenced. They are parallel to one another.

I can't park inside my gates because 80s house and the drive is too narrow for a t5s mirrors

Google has a very very old picture, pre-double glazing and the old fence but it gives you the idea...

The drive is different now but the layout is the same, no gates so that must be at least 10 years ago. We don't share the drive although many in the street do.

driveway.jpg

Where's the boundary in relation to the gate or gatepost?

Their gate post and gate should stay on their side on the boundary. It is clearly unacceptable for the gate to swing into the path of your vehicle or, as you describe, into your vehicle, which is on your land.

I agree with Welshgas - offer to place a sturdy post to prevent the gate encroaching.
It definitely crosses my boundary if allowed to.

I spoke with her last night, she was horrified but I did tell her no damage. It seems she struggled to get it in the stay in the dark. I've asked her to just come and get me in future until we sort a better solution.

Very old pic from google, must be 10 or more years ago. Drives are different (wow I didnt even have double glazing then).

The boundary is the fence and extends upto the pavement.

Sadly 80s house so too narrow for a T5 as the mirrors dont fold away enough to get in.

driveway.jpg

Could you not widen the drive opening slightly ? You would then benefit from off road parking.

From your picture it would appear that the solution is to have a small stop block/dwarf post situated on the boundary. Such a block/post should prevent your neighbours gate swinging over the boundary and into your Cali. The said stop block/post only needs to protrude a few inches above ground level and could encorporate some form of catch to secure the gate in the open position.

However if there is any chance of you accidentally backing into the gate whilst it is secured in the open position then I would suggest installing a bright yellow painted post with multiple reflectors fixed to it. Unlike the gate, such a post should be very visible when reversing into your drive in the dark. Personally, I would make it the same height as the other fence posts.

Could you not widen the drive opening slightly ? You would then benefit from off road parking.

Sadly I don't think it would work because the drive is so narrow and the back of the van sits between the wall and gate with inches to spare each side. The tail sits inches from our gate and the nose just behind the kerb line.

We did ponder paving the lawn but the van would stick out into the road parked length ways and a little sideways too.

Apparently its a massive problem these days that driveways are too small for modern vehicles.

Interesting response from Citizens advice, is that planning permission rules means the gate should not open across boundaries and if it does it can only be opened temporarily. Because they replaced an old existing gate (that opened away from my drive) they didn't need planning permission. It only opens across my boundary when she doesnt lock the bolt properly.

The guy who fitted them lives in the same street, I'm going mention this to him and ask him about adding a stop.

Luckily my neighbours are all nice and easy to talk to. Either way I will get that stop added this week, thanks for the input all.

Yes, just got to be careful about the stop catching the wheel/tyre or sill!
Hope it goes well.

Are you not able to get her gates to open inwards, or at least the left hand one, so it is away from your Cali?
Alternatively a spring on her gate which stretches as you open it, to keep it shut. She would then put the bolt in the stop to lock it open, but it would shut by itself and stay shut when not in use even if the bolt isn't in.