Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gates and driveway boundaries, any experience? Gate + Cali = annoyed Matt.

Yes, just got to be careful about the stop catching the wheel/tyre or sill!
Hope it goes well.
That would be a very serious concern of mine, and why I would not recommend a stop. A bolt from the gate into a hole would be preferable, but that has its own problems for the owner of the gate as the gate and the gate hinge will sag over time and the bolt and hole not align.

Last edited:
There is a bolt into a hole but the lady is older and sometimes struggles to get it in as it were. She also fails to put it in the lock position meaning it can jump out in windy conditions.

Looking through YouTube for a simple closer I found this.
or
There are lots more on the depending if it is a wood, tubular metal, square metal bar, etc. Hopefully one of them should be suitable for what you need. Good luck. Simon

What a nightmare having to worry about that.

Could you cut a section of camping sleep mat and bungee it to the side of the van at the critical area? Attach elastic straps to awning rail thingie and the flange on the sills.

Matter of fact, could do with using something like that down at Tesco's car park!

Accept a removable post placed as and when you need it, in a position you can never forget it's presence! Yes, it places a cost and responsibility on you but provides peace of mind?

My neighbour and I have adjoining driveways. A while back she had a single large gate that opened away from my drive. The other neighbours with their fencing company that had supplied it noticed it was getting a bit tatty and offered to replace it. Unfortunately they didnt consider my drive or vehicles and replaced it with 2 gates one of which now opens towards my drive.

It's always worried me and I had a few sleepless windy nights when the cali was brand new. When its windy and you hear it rattling inches away from my van. It's not helped that she doesnt put the stay into the lock position (I literally do it every day).

This morning as I was about to drive away, I noticed the gate actually resting against my cali, but thankfully no damage as it was a very calm night (and I didnt pull away). I will be having discussions with the neighbour tonight thankfully she is nice.

So two questions:

1) Is it acceptable to have a gate opening onto my driveway, especially as I park a vehicle there.

2) Anyone know of any decent stops/stays I could drill into the concrete to prevent the gate opening onto my drive even if its loose?

I've dropped citizens advice a mail to ask their view but thought some of you may have experience?
Talk to your neighbour come to an agreement "sorted"