Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Gates Coupling

Hi, this is the first I have seen on the issue. What would you like to know?

cheers

Hi Alex,
I have read somewhere that these flexible coupling on alternator and A/C compressor/pump are a service item and need replacing at a certain mileage. If this is true can you please advise me. The engine is an AXD, 2.5, 130bhp
John

Yes, you are quite correct. Yours are due for replacement at 100,000 miles. Quite a big service as more labour time needed to remove the front and strip everything down to replace them. Always worth remembering that if you have alternator or compressor problems and they are in there replacing something or everything is apart then get them done then rather than on a service.

cheers

Hello,

I have just come across this old string concerning Gates Couplings (A/C and Alternator power take-offs) and replacement thereof.

We have just acquired a 2009 2.5 Litre T5 130 with 36,000 on the clock. Mu question is, if VW recommend replacement of the Gates couplings etc., at '80/100K or 4 years, whichever comes first' would I be safe in assuming that the 4 years option may be discounted, as being work creation for VW, or should I take it seriously?

I ask, as we did not get any chapter and verse on servicing, only the dealer stamped service book, I'd have to contact the respective dealers and ask them if they could supply servicing particulars...

Many thanks in advance

Mike

Hello,

I have just come across this old string concerning Gates Couplings (A/C and Alternator power take-offs) and replacement thereof.

We have just acquired a 2009 2.5 Litre T5 130 with 36,000 on the clock. Mu question is, if VW recommend replacement of the Gates couplings etc., at '80/100K or 4 years, whichever comes first' would I be safe in assuming that the 4 years option may be discounted, as being work creation for VW, or should I take it seriously?

I ask, as we did not get any chapter and verse on servicing, only the dealer stamped service book, I'd have to contact the respective dealers and ask them if they could supply servicing particulars...

Many thanks in advance

Mike
From what i remember the couplings are a plastic material. I would expect them to deteriorate over the 8 yrs. especially with only averaging 94 miles per week, so i would assume they need changing. See other forums for more info, as earlier posts.

Hello,

Many thanks in advance

Mike
Rubber composite belts and such items as the Gates Coupling do deteriorate with time. At least with this coupling you won't be destroying the engine if it fails.

Thanks JohnTowers46 and WelshGas,

The vehicle Service schedule table makes no mention of an expiry date for these components, only the 150K Kilometre/100K miles, but I do take on board your comments. I imagine sa yours is a 2006 van John, that yours were done twice by now!

After a visual inspection, I'll leave this for the next annual service in May 2018, I wouldn't think that total deterioration would occur over 8 years; I had a Harley with a Gates toothed belt final drive which was fairly old, and that was OK, just take it easy.

Cheers

Mike

Thanks JohnTowers46 and WelshGas,

The vehicle Service schedule table makes no mention of an expiry date for these components, only the 150K Kilometre/100K miles, but I do take on board your comments. I imagine sa yours is a 2006 van John, that yours were done twice by now!
Mike

NO only once, but belts do deteriate if not used. sorry about spelling

Back