Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

GC600 issues

C

Chris Harris

Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hi folks,

Has anyone out there suffered problems with their GC's. I've had major issues with the hot/cold water system. After being on-site for a couple of the days, the water pump wouldn't turn off ultimately needing to be disconnected. The issue would then go away and then return randomly without anyone using the system. Vehicle now in for repair, but VW are struggling to diagnose and repair the issue.

This seems to be a common thing that hasn’t been fixed
The demo van a bus and beyond took to Europe had this issue and I have read about a few more too
Not good

I've had this problem too. No resolution other than to pull the fuse and then it fixes itself...for a while...

We also had problem with the waterpump just suddenly stopped working. Came on like normal the next day. Since then our GC600 has been to VW for a firmware update of the software controllning the camper part of the car. The technician said it would solve the waterpump issues too... Anyway I would also like to know what fuse to pull just in case?

Actually I don’t have a fuse diagram of the fuses under the bed. Its not in our manual. Anyone got this?

/Lars

Hi folks,

Has anyone out there suffered problems with their GC's. I've had major issues with the hot/cold water system. After being on-site for a couple of the days, the water pump wouldn't turn off ultimately needing to be disconnected. The issue would then go away and then return randomly without anyone using the system. Vehicle now in for repair, but VW are struggling to diagnose and repair the issue.
Was a common fault with the water pump and was supposed to be rectified after vans built after March 20, believe the fuse to pull is in the electrical cupboard second fused in from the bottom row.

We also had problem with the waterpump just suddenly stopped working. Came on like normal the next day. Since then our GC600 has been to VW for a firmware update of the software controllning the camper part of the car. The technician said it would solve the waterpump issues too... Anyway I would also like to know what fuse to pull just in case?

Actually I don’t have a fuse diagram of the fuses under the bed. Its not in our manual. Anyone got this?

/Lars
Hi Lars, believe the fuse to pull is in the electrical cupboard second fuse in from the bottom row.

Last edited:
Hi Lars, believe the fuse to pull is in the electrical cupboard second fused in from the bottom row.
We also have no fuse layout.

Thanks for all your comments, very interesting. The VW dealer who supplied my vehicle I partnership with VW themselves tried unsuccessfully for six weeks to understand and confidently fix the fault in my GC600. I have now returned the vehicle so if anyone wants Brandrup black fitted carpets or Brandrup 3 part fitted sheets then please let me know.

Now the question is what to buy next? Loved my Cali, but Covid dictates we need a bathroom. Liked the GC600 but had faults. So where next??

Thanks for all your comments, very interesting. The VW dealer who supplied my vehicle I partnership with VW themselves tried unsuccessfully for six weeks to understand and confidently fix the fault in my GC600. I have now returned the vehicle so if anyone wants Brandrup black fitted carpets or Brandrup 3 part fitted sheets then please let me know.

Now the question is what to buy next? Loved my Cali, but Covid dictates we need a bathroom. Liked the GC600 but had faults. So where next??
Did the dealer confirm this fault had been rectified on later models?

Westfalia

Hi. With a GC600 expected in January yes we too would be interested to hear if this has been corrected in later models. I’d hoped with our change from the Ocean to GC that the perennial problems we faced with roof corrosion, leaks etc were a thing of the past.... I suppose everything has its teething problems & not an issue as long as corrected quickly.

No, they actually didn't know what was causing the problem. They could see the fault, but from my experience VW have no definite fix

Sounds like a software issue and they haven’t got enough staff Back at HQ working on a fix, possibly bc of c19. I hope they appreciate us testing their beta version of the GC.

Hi Simon, I totally agree which is why I was so disappointed and returned the vehicle. These vehicles are a big investment for a number of years, so you have to have confidence in the product. At the end I did not.

Hi folks,

@Chris Harris . Just got back from 4 nights away. First on battery, no issues, last 3 on EHU and guess what, pump continually whirring. Booked into Liverpool VC tomorrow, so will be able to update with their thoughts. Good to have more comments from any other owners.

@Chris Harris . Just got back from 4 nights away. First on battery, no issues, last 3 on EHU and guess what, pump continually whirring. Booked into Liverpool VC tomorrow, so will be able to update with their thoughts. Good to have more comments from any other owners.
Hi all the above GC owners are you able to advise upon your build dates as I was advised this was fixed from March 2020.

When it happened to me, i simply disconnected the water pump. It is located at the top of the fresh water tank which is under the lefthand side of the bed. All you have to do is lift the mattress and the inspection cover and you will see the water tank and then you'll see (hear) the water pump and the wire connecting it. On my GC there was a connector about 40cm before the pump which I simply opened in order to isolate the pump.

Hi all the above GC owners are you able to advise upon your build dates as I was advised this was fixed from March 2020.
Hi if it is fixed then VW must know what the problem was. What was causing it??

They still don’t know but the new vans have a small sign next to the tap saying ‘Don’t use after midnight’, I think they still have a few Gremlin’s in the system.

On the German site they say its the micro switch on the tap which corrodes apparently.

Back