Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Three weeks south- and mid- Norway

So you weren't tempted to drive across?:D

So you weren't tempted to drive across?:D

Nope, that is gonne be a sequel....
Start and drive to Nordkapp and return slowly downwarts until where we turned on this trip.

We spent the night downthere last sunday in Aurland, by the water and drove up here the next morning , planning to cross the fjord but the road was closed due the snow...

image.jpg

Been editing some earlyer posts with pics ....wifi seem to work bit faster now everyone else is a sleep!
Think i call it a day , alltough it's still pretty light up here:D

Lovely pictures. Cold during the day or mainly at night?
Seems to be plenty of snow around.

Lovely pictures. Cold during the day or mainly at night?
Seems to be plenty of snow around.

We are now about 300km NW of Oslo and today forecast is clouded/sunny up to 18gr cel.
Snow we seen is ofcours above on hills and mountains . Below snow is gone.
At night here about 10gr cel. but when we stayed up high on snow tops ,it was less ....
Woke up and sunny , thinking of staying at this site another day so no driving and some relaxing.

Amazing how much tunnels and bridges we have taken!
Even had a tunnel witch at half point had a roundaboud junction!
Also a 24km long tunnel , could it be the longest in europe , try and search it later
Then ferry's most are 15 min to cross the fjord cost about 100 kronen.
Also the tollways witch i did not registerd for in advance , they send it to your homeadres scanning licenceplate so wait and see what comes up....
Wrote them all down , dates - locations and price.

Here's the other amazing tunnel we took

http://www.bergen-guide.com/2495.htm

The blue lights are magnificent , we did not new what was coming , driving in a long tunnel suddenly a blue glow ahead as we came close even more surprised seeing a roundabout , the misses quickly took the action cam and we did an extra tour....
Maybe wil try to post that when back home.

Very interesting. Never seen anything like that. Keep the pictures coming.:thumb:thumb

Today done 240km and headed back to a free camperspot wicth we already used on 6/6 but it's a point we cross going down south and after two days on a campsite it's more than ok !
When we where here last week the weater was bad , now it's sunny but still arround 10 degr. cel.
Better then a few hours before when crossing the mountains....check out at 12pm!
image.jpg

Last edited:
Tomorrow allong the road ahead more of these
image.jpg
These wooden churches go back til the years 1000 and 1300
Just a few of them left .
All have a sprinkler system installed just in case it catches fire or get struck by lightning

Some of todays scenes...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It was here the 3,5gr. Cel. on the dash

image.jpg

image.jpg

Get me back in the Cali , my feet are freezing....!

Parked at the tourist information now , never got better wifi the last two weeks. Ten times better than on the campsites!
Busy here , a ski- station , pubs , resto , shops, not what we came for but free wifi . Later gonna head off to the parkg lot near the ( closed) ski lifts where we will be spending the night beside some big white campervans.
Sunday so the Norwegians are with many on the road doing there own weekend trips on top of the tourists.
Would not like to travel here in july or august.

sorry maybe off topic:

I just saw on some of your Norway pics that you use wheels of steel. Is this because of the stiffness, easy2repair and handling? Do you have some other lightweight wheels?
Anyway your pics are great and I think more important than the rims are the tires (any suggestions, I'm looking for new ones like the Conti VanContact 200)

Have a safe trip and enjoy it!
sapto

sorry maybe off topic:

I just saw on some of your Norway pics that you use wheels of steel. Is this because of the stiffness, easy2repair and handling? Do you have some other lightweight wheels?
Anyway your pics are great and I think more important than the rims are the tires (any suggestions, I'm looking for new ones like the Conti VanContact 200)

Have a safe trip and enjoy it!
sapto

These are a set of wintertyres purchased later at local tyrecenter , left them on as i wonderd what the themps. gonne be on the trip ....and in my opinion made the right choise .
It has never been hotter dan 20gr cel ( most under 15 actualy)and we got a lot of rain so the wintertyers did some km and the summertyres will be put on when back home.
ps.: they are also on steels ....don't feel the need to pimp my Cali , standaard will do just fine!

Today , exellent wheater but temp. not more than 16 deg.cel.

image.jpg
As announced , wooden churches
image.jpg
And some other views allong the road

image.jpg

image.jpg

Today woke up and again sunny in Rjukan , nice spot parked up at parkinglot of the cable bus , and had a good sleep . At 9am we took the cable bus up from 400m where we sleep to 900m and did some hiking in the Hangaravida national park , trail was not even snowfree at 1100m!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg

Now back on the road !

Last edited:
Thuseday afther the hike- trip drove just 120 km to Kvitseid and enjoyed the sunny weather
Free camperspot at a motorboat harbour 200m away from the towncenter .
Small private grass just in front of the camperspot!
Amazing view.
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nice town to walk in , a boat leaving to cross the fjord for some seitseeing

image.jpg

As the forecast did suspect the weather turned this night and as we where planning to do the last 200 km down south back to Kristianshals on wednesday and thursday hoping to catch a ferry thursdayevening we changed plans and now the last view of Norway looks like this

image.jpg

image.jpg
image.jpg

Yep we are on the ferry , took a last minute decision and drove to pooring rain the whole 150 last km in Norway .
Arriving in Kristiansand seems many where arriving whitout a booking it was easy to get on board and even cheaper then when we came up and booked in advance home.
Hoping to enjoy a good day in Denmark tomorrow and heading home another 1000km trip normal will cut it in half with a sleepover near Hamburg again.
So drove about 3000km in Norway and 2x1000 up and down home-Hirtshals ( Denmark) to the ferry.
Been great and we will go back one day...
Will give more details ect....when home this weekend!

Last edited:
Left the ferry and drove about 500 m to spend the night on a nice spot near the terminal thogether with some 15 other big white campers, nothing much to see but just for one night before or after ferrytrip just enough.
image.jpg

Woke up this moring and left Hirtshals at 6am to drive a total of 1100km Denmark- Germany-Holland-Belgium to get home at 5.30pm some traffic but nothing unusual .
A day earlyer home than we planned due the weather but still got a good feeling about the trip in general.
Did some gardening work first , gras was grown enormous....
Shower , dinner ,......unload Cali tomorrow
Now relaxing on the sofa!

Last edited:
Been counting some numbers out regarding the trip .
Sorry it are km , euro , liters,....just to give an idea

We where 19days away from home
1 Cali 2 persons 1 dog...
Drove 5100km (distance on ferry's not included)
Used 425 liter diesel
Average of 8,333 / 100km
Almost 800 euro of our budget went just to that diesel!
18 nights witch 5 on a campsite , 13 on camperspots or freestanding
1 camping we stayed 2 nights...
So 4 different campsites , 1 in Demark , 3 in Norway
Spend only 934NK on those 5 nights camping ( Cali+2 pers.+ 1dog)
Never used hook-up in these 18 nights
Lesure batts never came below 80% by morning using fridge (on 2)and heater (on 1 or 2) at night
So just had 1 day without driving
Slept 17 times upstaires 1 time below becose the cold themp. At 1400m height
Most km on a day 375km(heading/retour home trips to Hirtshals not included , thatone was 1100km in one trip)
Lowest km on a day 25km
Slept in 3 diffrent countries
Took a million ;)tunnels and bridges
Longest tunnel was 24km
Took 6 ferry's in Norway crossing fjords( all can be payed with mastercard)
Plus 2x ferry between Denmark&Norway...
This was 102euro and 112euro ( the retour was most expencive we booked at the day itself witch was 16 euro plus extra )
Past 13 automatic toll-gates from witch we get the bill afterwarts
And 1 toll-gate payed by coins
A total of about 406 NK for the toll-roads , plus one i forgot to write down...
These come via a accountbureau in London in 1 bill, so i been told...( hope my licence plate was unreadeble)
Spend about 250 euro on shopping for food in Norway ...
We had food with us for the 1st week so bought food for 2weeks overthere
Always made meals ourself , exept 1 time went for take away pizza
Never had to use the Porta- potti for nr2 , always found a toilet along the way
Coldest seen on the dash while driving 3,5 gr cel.( at midday!)
Hottest seen on dash 20,5gr cel
Spotted reindiers only 1 day of our trip ( but in 3 diffrent locations that day)
On our 3000 km through Norway only 1 time we spotted a police car

Last edited:
Details on driving day by day

30/5 home - Sittesen (Germany) 490km
1/6 Tornby ( near ferry Hirtshals Denmark) 557km
2/6 Kristiansand (Norway) to Lindesness 95km
3/6 Eigersund 200km
4/6 Forsand 130km
5/6 Preikestolen 25km
6/6 Geilio 373km
7/6 Aurland 110km
8/6 Bismo 250km