Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting Bikes onto VW Rack

Just got back from latest trip to Switzerland & found lifting our bikes on & off quite difficult. This may be because I am now 76 or it could be the rack is higher than on my previous Hymer. We are considering purchasing Ebikes which are even heavier than our existing Thorn bikes. Has anyone used something like another piece of rail or guttering as a ramp?
Any other suggestions welcome, I do have a tow bar , but do use it for towing on occasion.
I am 67 and himself is 70. We lift our e-bikes up on the bike rack and mine weighs 30 kilos. And it's at the limit of our combined strengths. Believe you me, if we had a tow bar, the bikes would be on it!!!!!

VW bike racks are a pita and my bikes are under 7kg, I’d go tow bar in a heartbeat if i was lifting up ebikes, the only advantage of the VW rack is that it’s always there, so reduced faff, but it also sucks with multiple bikes too, add the MTB with the roadies or CX and it’s an uncomfortable puzzle to solve, especially after a race or hard training trip.

I have a 3 bike Atera tilting rack that carries three 20kg (without batteries) EMTB’s quite happily. The all up maximum weight limit is 62Kg for the rack so I need to take the batteries out to ensure it’s all within limits Of the rack and the tow bar.

It’s a doddle to load up and the bikes just clear the tailgate when opened. I’d never go back to a situation whereby I need to take the bikes of the tailgate rack just so I can enter the boot. The only downsides are that the bikes obscure the reversing camera and the steering goes a bit light with 3 bikes loaded, but its all well worth it, especially when you’re riding up that mountain track!

This is quite a useful thread as I'm thinking about a tow bar rack too. Building on the discussion about Atera racks, can anyone outline why the Evo is approx £100 more than the DL? Is it just looks? Looks as though the EVO can take a bit more weight but weighs quite a bit more (19.8 v 14.5kg). Does anyone have experience of both or the DL?

The SG2 on a removable factory towbar. Bought just over a year ago. Looks like the SG2+ is new with more gap between rack and tailgate. The SG2 just clears, about 10mm to spare on a T6.
I have a removable westfalia factory towbar and went to buy a SG2 today. Before payment I tested it and unfortunately the rear door caught, it wasn’t even close to being able to open. Unfortunately I left empty handed and disappointed.

Last edited:
I have a removable westfalia factory towbar and went to buy a SG2 today. Before payment I tested it and unfortunately the rear door caught, it wasn’t even close to being able to open. Unfortunately I left empty handed and disappointed.

Just get the Strada DL3.
Mines about 8 years old and still works perfectly.
Best rack out there...

Just get the Strada DL3.
Mines about 8 years old and still works perfectly.
Best rack out there...
I think I’ve read every thread about bike racks on this forum. SWMBO thinks I’m becoming a right bore about it :oops:.The DL3 does get the best reviews but I don’t have a garage or anywhere to store it when not in use and therefore I liked the folding aspect of the SG2.
Im a little annoyed as it was advertised as being the SG2 plus unused and new on EBay. It was a four hour round trip wasted. At least the van got a good run out.

Don’t know if this helps.
But here’s mine in storage in the shed, hanging up at the back.
Folds fairly flat, would fit under most staircases...

D39AC427-5779-49F9-9C4C-677113DDD2E0.jpeg

You need the SG2 Plus.

You need the SG2 Plus.
Thanks. I think I’m going to go for the SG2 Plus. I was just posting as a slight warning to others as earlier in the thread it mentioned that the SG2 would work but it’s a tight squeeze. With my set up there is no way the tailgate would get past the SG2.
Thanks @soulstyledevon for your help as well

Just got back from latest trip to Switzerland & found lifting our bikes on & off quite difficult. This may be because I am now 76 or it could be the rack is higher than on my previous Hymer. We are considering purchasing Ebikes which are even heavier than our existing Thorn bikes. Has anyone used something like another piece of rail or guttering as a ramp?
Any other suggestions welcome, I do have a tow bar , but do use it for towing on occasion.
I sold my high mounted bike rack as it was impossible to lift the E bike on there. I have purchased a towbar bike rack and it is so easy I wish I had done it before. You can wheel the bike onto it pretty much if you just lift the front of the bike to put the front wheel in the guide. The only snag is you can’t open the tailgate without taking the bike rack off

I sold my high mounted bike rack as it was impossible to lift the E bike on there. I have purchased a towbar bike rack and it is so easy I wish I had done it before. You can wheel the bike onto it pretty much if you just lift the front of the bike to put the front wheel in the guide. The only snag is you can’t open the tailgate without taking the bike rack off
The Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus tilts far enough to open the tail gate. 2 or 4 bike versions. We have the 2 bike version on a detachable Westfailer bar.

Other threads suggest other users have found issues with the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus and switched to Atera Genio Pro. I personally have no experience of the Diamant, just going on what others in this forum say:-

Other threads suggest other users have found issues with the Pro-User Diamant SG2 Plus and switched to Atera Genio Pro. I personally have no experience of the Diamant, just going on what others in this forum say:-
I think the issue is SG2 v SG2 Plus. You must use the SG2 Plus, the SG does not work. The thread you reference, although titled SG2 Plus, refers to the SG in the thread and not the SG2 Plus. We have the SG2 Plus and it works fine, tailgate fully opens when rack is fully tilted.

Campervan bits web site shows photographs of an SG2 Plus on a Cali with the tailgate open. However, it is poorly described as an SG2. The SG2 does not work, you must go for the SG2 Plus. Also photos on Holland Bike Shop but out of stock

OK thank you, that helpfully clarifies the position.

Back