Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting into top bunk

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I too get into the roof in exactly the same way, and he does make it look very easy, but I'd like to see him climb up there with my better half in the way:bananadance

GillianC

GillianC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Glad you found it useful. After a less than satisfactory handover with the Motorhome dealer we bought the Cali from I sat for an hour in the van with that video going through everything several times. Way hey I got into the roof too
His long legs make it look so easy though lol.

pjm-84

pjm-84

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
The other half does it that way. I let her go to bed first. I go to the drivers corner, support my 18stone and go feet in first. Not possible for my frame to U turn within the roof area.

Velma's Dad

Velma's Dad

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Yeah, yeah, the video demo method works fine if you're the first one upstairs. In our case though that's always Mrs VD, while I'm doing the last check around the van, making sure the cap's on the gin bottle, reading bedtime story to the dog, etc.

To make things more complicated still, it was apparently a clause in our pre-nup agreement that Mrs VD will always sleep on the right (ie right when looking backwards in the Cali). So using the Scharphof Manoeuvre as demonstrated in the vid will involve me sitting on her head, which isn't considered favourable apparently, esp. after Mrs VD has consumed a bottle of Chateau de Chetterie.

Consequently, I have to balance half an ar$e-cheek on the forward rim of the roof opening while swinging my legs round to enter the sleeping bay feet-first. Tom Hanks managed to make this look elegant when he entered the Lunar Module from the Command Module in Apollo 13. But then again he was weightless at the time.

Still, practice makes perfect. :Grin

Quinnster77

Quinnster77

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I bought the force 4 ladder to hang on the seat. Was a bit sceptical at 1st but it's much easier to climb up!

GillianC

GillianC

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Yeah, yeah, the video demo method works fine if you're the first one upstairs. In our case though that's always Mrs VD, while I'm doing the last check around the van, making sure the cap's on the gin bottle, reading bedtime story to the dog, etc.

To make things more complicated still, it was apparently a clause in our pre-nup agreement that Mrs VD will always sleep on the right (ie right when looking backwards in the Cali). So using the Scharphof Manoeuvre as demonstrated in the vid will involve me sitting on her head, which isn't considered favourable apparently, esp. after Mrs VD has consumed a bottle of Chateau de Chetterie.

Consequently, I have to balance half an ar$e-cheek on the forward rim of the roof opening while swinging my legs round to enter the sleeping bay feet-first. Tom Hanks managed to make this look elegant when he entered the Lunar Module from the Command Module in Apollo 13. But then again he was weightless at the time.

'Scharphof Manouvre' - love it!

Borris

Borris

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150

You could always employ the method ably demonstrated by the crew of the Memphis Belle in the film of that name, to access the aircraft through the hatch under the aircraft's nose.
Simply grasp the edge of the upper bed and the project your feet and legs up into the upper deck with your body following. Simples.

Alan

Alan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
I would bet not many of us hasn't gone through the above procedures,got all nice and cosy under the covers only to realize a light has been left on or some thing!
:headbang :headbang and have to start from scratch all over again :mute

Alan

Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky

Forever young (ish!)
Staff member
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I know the question of "how do you climb upto the top bed" is a perennial question but I make no apology for this post.
So far me and The Leader of the Opposition, or should I say The Leader of the Opposition and I have not had the need to invest in any ladders etc for climbing upstairs but.......I hurt my back, lifting bikes onto the rear carrier, while in France back in July and could have done with a little assistance. On returning to UK I did some digging and came upon this idea from my brother in law (he is a "boat person"). I can't be sure but I think I have seen this on the forum before because when he showed me I had a deja-vue moment. Anyway, I bought one for £12.99. Works a treat and is very light and compact. Be sure to make two knots (as delivered there is only one) when fixing to the head restraint, as you can see in the photo, to prevent the steps from swivelling and dumping you in a heap between the two front seats!

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...CSIWmLT4Wibr8x04xk7BI9z0OInvlUsBoC6boQAvD_BwE
Steps.JPG

Steve and Jane

Steve and Jane

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi, have found the perfect ladder. Purpose made in timber. We bought one and is so easy to get to the top bunk without any damage to seats or arm rests. Have given link below.

VW California Club