Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting into top bunk

I would bet not many of us hasn't gone through the above procedures,got all nice and cosy under the covers only to realize a light has been left on or some thing!
:headbang :headbang and have to start from scratch all over again :mute

Alan

I know the question of "how do you climb upto the top bed" is a perennial question but I make no apology for this post.
So far me and The Leader of the Opposition, or should I say The Leader of the Opposition and I have not had the need to invest in any ladders etc for climbing upstairs but.......I hurt my back, lifting bikes onto the rear carrier, while in France back in July and could have done with a little assistance. On returning to UK I did some digging and came upon this idea from my brother in law (he is a "boat person"). I can't be sure but I think I have seen this on the forum before because when he showed me I had a deja-vue moment. Anyway, I bought one for £12.99. Works a treat and is very light and compact. Be sure to make two knots (as delivered there is only one) when fixing to the head restraint, as you can see in the photo, to prevent the steps from swivelling and dumping you in a heap between the two front seats!

http://www.marinescene.co.uk/produc...CSIWmLT4Wibr8x04xk7BI9z0OInvlUsBoC6boQAvD_BwE
Steps.JPG

Hi, have found the perfect ladder. Purpose made in timber. We bought one and is so easy to get to the top bunk without any damage to seats or arm rests. Have given link below.

I modified a 2m collapsible ladder by narrowing and shortening it

View attachment 57856

View attachment 57861

View attachment 57862

View attachment 57863

Paul, love this.
I thought about doing this myself many times.
I used one of these to get my surfboards on the roof but have replaced for a collapsible stool. Which could do with being taller....
I find it would store in the van easier if it were narrowed.

How easy was it to do...?
Did you cut the bars by hand or with a chop saw...?
Any advice or tips would be well received.

Paul, love this.
I thought about doing this myself many times.
I used one of these to get my surfboards on the roof but have replaced for a collapsible stool. Which could do with being taller....
I find it would store in the van easier if it were narrowed.

How easy was it to do...?
Did you cut the bars by hand or with a chop saw...?
Any advice or tips would be well received.
Narrowing was really easy - shortening was harder. All done by hand as even though I have a metal handsaw it is at my parents house

I'll find the photos and post them up in a new thread

Narrowing was really easy - shortening was harder. All done by hand as even though I have a metal handsaw it is at my parents house

I'll find the photos and post them up in a new thread

Brilliant.
Might have a go myself.
I will probably just narrow mine . Be great to have the steps back, as it makes getting to the roof so much easier. If I can slim them down enough to still be useable, they might store to the side of the rear chair...

We sleep up top, and our lab downstairs. We also have a wee ladder that certainly helps get you up there but the second person up( usually moi) still has to do the ‘swing legs over’ the body of numero uno !
I find it easier to push myself back from the edge a wee bit then do the ‘swing action’. Yes my back is touching the pop top material as I do this but heh ho who cares it’s only for a nano second. We find it easier for me to be second up as hubby is 6’1” and I’m 5’5”... shorter legs to swing

I haven’t read every reply, so apologies if this has been covered already.

After a couple of years, I had a ‘moment’ when I cracked the issue....which is point 1 below. My other half is more of an early bird, whilst I’m a night owl, so when my partner is in bed already, I do the following...

1) Stand on the seat on the same side as her, normally passenger side. I will therefore be on drivers side.
2) Face 90 degrees to the bed, so I’m facing the drivers side window
3) Place hands either side of me, one on the narrow strip at the front of the van, the other under her pillow
4) Swing my legs up, so they are near my pillow area, or above the drivers door
5) Walk my feet down the bed as I move myself into bed.

I can do all this without waking her now. The biggest revelation was to start on the same side as her, previously I’d stand on the drivers seat and normally end up (gently) kicking her in the head as I swung my legs in. As you may imagine, this didn‘t go down that well with my partner.

Hi, have found the perfect ladder. Purpose made in timber. We bought one and is so easy to get to the top bunk without any damage to seats or arm rests. Have given link below.

Liked the look of this so got in touch with the seller and opted to have one made in hardwood. Really pleased with result, very nice to use and far better than our previous aluminium one.
Easily stowed in the boot (NB don’t have the small drawer fitted )

5D0946D3-1943-4C68-90BB-F655E890B27E.jpeg40C1A241-71EF-4ED5-8C16-2E8CBE559455.jpeg

I can't find the original post that I made about the roof ladder, to which I got a response asking if I stored it behind the seat.
I promised to update after use.
After my first use in earnest last week holidaying in Wales I have found the ladder to be first class.
I store it on top off all the stuff that goes in the boot on top of the parcel shelf, wrapped in a rug so as to not cause damage.
This gives easy access from inside without having to disturb everything.
I also find that it works particularly well by tilting the drivers seat fully forward, and erecting the ladder to the one side. This leaves the passenger seat for setting things on, and means the adder sits more securely in the recess the hooks attach in. It also means that the portapotti can be left in situ just in front of the sink, for night-time excursions!
All in all I am delighted with the ladder, as is my formerly sceptical better half!!

Lend it to one of their parents Borris then you'll need it.
Lending stuff to their parents? There is often three issues with doing that:
1. If I want it back I usually have to go and get it.
2. It will probably turn out to be bent, blunt or broken.
3. They probably won't know where it is as the grand kids will probably have run off with it.

These days I find it easier just to write it off go and buy a new one.

Last edited: