Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting into top bunk

Keith Smith

Keith Smith

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Im just wondering if I'm missing a trick for getting into the top bunk. It's easy enough for the first person, foot on swivelled passenger seat, foot on back of drivers backrest and your up; swing round and you are ready for the land of Nod. However I follow in the captains wake,and she takes up a fair bit of the space up there, and this makes swinging round a bit of a contortion; does anyone have a better way of aligning themselves once they are sat on the edge of the bed?

Im just wondering if I'm missing a trick for getting into the top bunk. It's easy enough for the first person, foot on swivelled passenger seat, foot on back of drivers backrest and your up; swing round and you are ready for the land of Nod. However I follow in the captains wake,and she takes up a fair bit of the space up there, and this makes swinging round a bit of a contortion; does anyone have a better way of aligning themselves once they are sat on the edge of the bed?
Too funny.
Can't wait to read the replies on this one...
:bananadance:bananadance:bananadance

Oh yes very funny. I would suggest that the second person don't swing and lies with the head in the back of the Cali

What was funny was that there was a banner ad running across the top of the page while I wrote this for..Stanna stair lifts!

Cundf, one of us has the sort of feet you don't want to get your nose too close too but I'm not mentioning names for the sake of inter California harmony.

and GJ downstairs is wolf territory, well Molly is a border collie but has too many recessive genes, sharp teeth and the attitude of a teenager who's gone on holiday but left their phone at home.

What's all this about swinging? Do you need to display pampas grass outside?

We have allready spend over 90 nights in our T5 and now in our T6. We, my wife and my 4 year old daugther, sleep all upstairs when its hot. We had Never a Problem to sleep with our heads looking in Front direction. When it is windy and much Rain is comming down we also sleep downstairs in your Comfortline/Ocean with no problem.

I appreciate there is a funny side to this and I have possibly encouraged this view :) but this was a genuine question. I'm of an age that a generation ago would have been content to sit in front of the fire with a pipe and slippers and dream of owning a bungalow so they didn't have to climb the stairs to bed. Now I'm climbing into a tiny sleeping compartment in a way that would give a nimble mountain goat a challenge!

I much prefer sleeping up in the roof, getting up there is currently no real problem but, as the second person up there, I do find it difficult to go from sitting on the edge of the bed to getting my feet round to the back of the space. I think I need to practice to find a better way of doing it.

I appreciate there is a funny side to this and I have possibly encouraged this view :) but this was a genuine question. I'm of an age that a generation ago would have been content to sit in front of the fire with a pipe and slippers and dream of owning a bungalow so they didn't have to climb the stairs to bed. Now I'm climbing into a tiny sleeping compartment in a way that would give a nimble mountain goat a challenge!

I much prefer sleeping up in the roof, getting up there is currently no real problem but, as the second person up there, I do find it difficult to go from sitting on the edge of the bed to getting my feet round to the back of the space. I think I need to practice to find a better way of doing it.

I have some sympathy.

As a recent convert to elevated living and also to head above the void I have trouble rotating polarity and that's just me on my own.

My big concern is not touching the sides, I do not use a flysheet and years of camping has made me very aware of what happens when tent sides are rubbed in wet weather, but the gymnastics involved with another occupant in situ up there would defeat me.

Could you not persuade Molly to take up residence upstairs?

You pop top guys have got twice the space to execute said manoeuvre vs. the hardtop. And I'm 6'4.

If it's camping season and I don't post for a few days, it's because I've got myself wedged mid-turn and need you to call the fire brigade to come and remove my roof, before I starve to death.

I have some sympathy.

As a recent convert to elevated living and also to head above the void I have trouble rotating polarity and that's just me on my own.

My big concern is not touching the sides, I do not use a flysheet and years of camping has made me very aware of what happens when tent sides are rubbed in wet weather, but the gymnastics involved with another occupant in situ up there would defeat me.

Could you not persuade Molly to take up residence upstairs?

We have the roof topper and so are at least free of worrying about letting moisture track through the fabric. As for Molly, there was a time when she could have easily made it up in the roof but now she is very much older, in her years, than me and finds even climbing into the Cali hard going. We dare not help her in as the pointy end bites and so we may not be able to take her out much any more. Even without Molly though we would rather sleep "up top" it's just nice!

We have the roof topper and so are at least free of worrying about letting moisture track through the fabric. As for Molly, there was a time when she could have easily made it up in the roof but now she is very much older, in her years, than me and finds even climbing into the Cali hard going. We dare not help her in as the pointy end bites and so we may not be able to take her out much any more. Even without Molly though we would rather sleep "up top" it's just nice!

Molly sounds gorgeous ...

Bless her, all our doggies get old, and stiff, and snappy when the old joints hurt....

Everything's forgiven though because they are such friends, even when the pointy end tends to snap. I had one particular old girl, also a collie, that would snap at the slightest touch but I still miss her, even 20 years after she went ...

Give her a chewy from me

We were committed upstairs-sleepers for the first 5 years in our Cali - the Goretex liner helped keep it warm and condensation-free. But as the years passed and the aches and pains increased (along with the number of visits to the loo required each night) we gave in to sleeping downstairs. We love it now; although the pulling out ofthe bed (and re-arranging of all the baggage) is a bit of a drag, it's nowhere near as bad as persuaading all the bedding through the hatch, then the gymnastics everyone on this post has described so graphically!

We don't turn the driver's seat, only the passenger's. Then: step onto the passenger seat, then onto the shoulder of the driver's seat, turning your back to the front corner passenger's side. Put your hands in the 'shelf' that the lowered roof would sit on, put one foot up and lift yourself into the bed feet first. Works fine for first or second entrant!

hi Keith
I'm supposing being up in the roof first isn't an option?

We don't turn the driver's seat, only the passenger's. Then: step onto the passenger seat, then onto the shoulder of the driver's seat, turning your back to the front corner passenger's side. Put your hands in the 'shelf' that the lowered roof would sit on, put one foot up and lift yourself into the bed feet first. Works fine for first or second entrant!
I shall give that a try, thanks.

Tom Daley could learn a thing or two on here.

Mike