Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Getting into top bunk

We don't turn the driver's seat, only the passenger's. Then: step onto the passenger seat, then onto the shoulder of the driver's seat, turning your back to the front corner passenger's side. Put your hands in the 'shelf' that the lowered roof would sit on, put one foot up and lift yourself into the bed feet first. Works fine for first or second entrant!
I tried this the other day without turning the passenger seat, and it's a lot more difficult - hard to squeeze in between the seats while stepping up, and easy to step onto the seat belt slot (painful). And the shoulder of the seat is not in the best place.

We sleep upstairs and although getting up there isn't very elegant (esp. after a couple of glasses) we're luckily still at the age where it's not yet a problem (I rely on ejmoore's manoeuvre as we also tend to keep the driver's set turned forward). But I really do sympathise for Keith and anyone else who's struggling.

I know some people have acquired ladder-type contraptions but they did seem to me to be a bit space hungry. So, I wondered if an alternative might be a simple stirrup-style step that could be hung over the headrest at a convenient height. I might try adapting a lightweight plastic children's swing seat. Eg:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NTUPR8I/?tag=eliteelect-21

Just a thought, may not work at all in practice but if not remember RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). :eek:

We sleep upstairs and although getting up there isn't very elegant (esp. after a couple of glasses) we're luckily still at the age where it's not yet a problem (I rely on ejmoore's manoeuvre as we also tend to keep the driver's set turned forward). But I really do sympathise for Keith and anyone else who's struggling.

I know some people have acquired ladder-type contraptions but they did seem to me to be a bit space hungry. So, I wondered if an alternative might be a simple stirrup-style step that could be hung over the headrest at a convenient height. I might try adapting a lightweight plastic children's swing seat. Eg:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00NTUPR8I/?tag=eliteelect-21

Just a thought, may not work at all in practice but if not remember RICE (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation). :eek:
In this thread is the very idea Post 16

From @Italiahorse

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/i-do-think-a-telescopic-ladder-would-be-useful.14094/

Mike

Ah, thanks Mike, I had seen that thread at an earlier stage about the ladders, but hadn't seen the latest posts including the one from @italianhorse who brilliantly pre-empted and indeed executed 'my' idea!

Now, did I tell you my brainwave about stopping 'bellows pinch' by means of a bungee device?? :embarrased

When getting upstairs 2nd I've worked out a simple and quick way. I'm actually getting in legs first. Not head first and then try to turn around in a confined space.
What helps me a lot is a handle on the roof. Of course it can't hold whole body weight but unloading like 10-15kg of your weight and adding a secure stability.
So I put left hand on a bed, step on a seat with right leg, get right hand on the roof handle, sit on the bed and go both legs forward. So handle secures I don't fall back when turning both legs inside.
It is not as much down pressure on that handle as forward.
Same the handle helps a lot on going down.
1st mistake I was making trying to put both hands on the plastic rim on the roof when going down. Looks like you can break it easily.

We sleep upstairs and are no spring chickens but have found a beanbag foot rest/pouffe from Dunelm (£25) wedged on driver's seat to be a vital accessory when clambering in and out of bed. First person to bed though needs to lie close to the side to provide room for partner's swivelling action! Also doubles up as a footrest when sitting in van.

I appreciate there is a funny side to this and I have possibly encouraged this view :) but this was a genuine question. I'm of an age that a generation ago would have been content to sit in front of the fire with a pipe and slippers and dream of owning a bungalow so they didn't have to climb the stairs to bed. Now I'm climbing into a tiny sleeping compartment in a way that would give a nimble mountain goat a challenge!

I much prefer sleeping up in the roof, getting up there is currently no real problem but, as the second person up there, I do find it difficult to go from sitting on the edge of the bed to getting my feet round to the back of the space. I think I need to practice to find a better way of doing it.
I feel your pain! I think the same every time I do it and my wife is an 8 stone racing snake. I'm a competitive athlete and still find it a real chore.
Bum on edge of opening and then swing round 180 degress with legs hovering over her as I go.

I feel your pain! I think the same every time I do it and my wife is an 8 stone racing snake. I'm a competitive athlete and still find it a real chore.
Bum on edge of opening and then swing round 180 degress with legs hovering over her as I go.

Mrs VD dreams of having a professional athlete hovering over her. But she's had 26 years of disappointment so far.

I've posted this before on the site, but recently went on another trip and have to say this works perfectly for me. We have previously tried nothing but the arm rests (!!), a ladder and a rope ladder. This is definitely the best of the options: it also gives you a very useful storage box. There are two posts: the original great step up; and the enhancements.

https://urbancraftuk.wordpress.com/2016/05/05/great-step-up/

P1100159-001.JPG

I much prefer sleeping up in the roof, getting up there is currently no real problem but, as the second person up there, I do find it difficult to go from sitting on the edge of the bed to getting my feet round to the back of the space. I think I need to practice to find a better way of doing it.

Here's our trick, the second person up stands on one of the seats facing into the sleeping area with one hand placed on the metal edge either on the driver or passenger door side (obviously this depends on which seat you are standing on) then the other hand rests on edge directly above the dashboard, keeping your arms straight support your weight whilst you put one foot on the back of the other seat and swing the other other foot onto the bed and shuffle down.
Failing that, commando roll is always good for a laugh!

Personally diving off the wardrobe works fine, or alternatively simultaneous tumble turns after a few glasses of red can be a hoot... All part of Cali life...

I'm not sure if this link will work but there is a really good you tube video of a nice young man demonstrating the Cali. It is By Scharphof campers BV with English subtitles but he makes getting into the roof bed look very easy.
Tried it and hey presto...I was up!

VW California Instructie (Instructionvideo: English subtitles T5/T6 California)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this link will work but there is a really good you tube video of a nice young man demonstrating the Cali. It is is by Scharphof campers BV with English subtitles but he makes getting into the roof bed look very easy.
Tried it and hey presto...I was up!

VW California Instructie (Instructionvideo: English subtitles T5/T6 California)

Don't think it works but if you search you tube scharphof campers VW California demo with English subtitles it comes up.

Last edited:
Very clear and precise video

Mike

I too get into the roof in exactly the same way, and he does make it look very easy, but I'd like to see him climb up there with my better half in the way:bananadance

Glad you found it useful. After a less than satisfactory handover with the Motorhome dealer we bought the Cali from I sat for an hour in the van with that video going through everything several times. Way hey I got into the roof too
His long legs make it look so easy though lol.

The other half does it that way. I let her go to bed first. I go to the drivers corner, support my 18stone and go feet in first. Not possible for my frame to U turn within the roof area.

Yeah, yeah, the video demo method works fine if you're the first one upstairs. In our case though that's always Mrs VD, while I'm doing the last check around the van, making sure the cap's on the gin bottle, reading bedtime story to the dog, etc.

To make things more complicated still, it was apparently a clause in our pre-nup agreement that Mrs VD will always sleep on the right (ie right when looking backwards in the Cali). So using the Scharphof Manoeuvre as demonstrated in the vid will involve me sitting on her head, which isn't considered favourable apparently, esp. after Mrs VD has consumed a bottle of Chateau de Chetterie.

Consequently, I have to balance half an ar$e-cheek on the forward rim of the roof opening while swinging my legs round to enter the sleeping bay feet-first. Tom Hanks managed to make this look elegant when he entered the Lunar Module from the Command Module in Apollo 13. But then again he was weightless at the time.

Still, practice makes perfect. :Grin

I bought the force 4 ladder to hang on the seat. Was a bit sceptical at 1st but it's much easier to climb up!

Yeah, yeah, the video demo method works fine if you're the first one upstairs. In our case though that's always Mrs VD, while I'm doing the last check around the van, making sure the cap's on the gin bottle, reading bedtime story to the dog, etc.

To make things more complicated still, it was apparently a clause in our pre-nup agreement that Mrs VD will always sleep on the right (ie right when looking backwards in the Cali). So using the Scharphof Manoeuvre as demonstrated in the vid will involve me sitting on her head, which isn't considered favourable apparently, esp. after Mrs VD has consumed a bottle of Chateau de Chetterie.

Consequently, I have to balance half an ar$e-cheek on the forward rim of the roof opening while swinging my legs round to enter the sleeping bay feet-first. Tom Hanks managed to make this look elegant when he entered the Lunar Module from the Command Module in Apollo 13. But then again he was weightless at the time.

'Scharphof Manouvre' - love it!

You could always employ the method ably demonstrated by the crew of the Memphis Belle in the film of that name, to access the aircraft through the hatch under the aircraft's nose.
Simply grasp the edge of the upper bed and the project your feet and legs up into the upper deck with your body following. Simples.