Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Glass top help and idea

K

keacal2705

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXTRA-LARGE-S ... _648wt_689

Hi,

Real long shot this one but here goes. I am in touch with the company that make silicone heat resistant mats/accessories. They are willing to cut the mat to fit EXACTLY on the two sections of glass covering fridge, cooker and sink. The piece over the fridge is easy to measure but the piece over cooker and sink difficult because of the curve and the silver disc thingy on the right.

So, does anyone know how I can get very accurate measurements for the cutter to follow or does anyone have large paper and the skills to cut the shape so it fits the glass perfectly, including curve and silver thingy?

Also, would anyone be interested in such a mat? My view is that my glass is protected and I can put hot saucepans on it, etc. When I tried a sample material he sent me, it fitted perfectly against the ridge/raised lip surrounding the glass. When I lifted the lid the material stayed in place.

My wife is getting some scrap paper from her arts department so i cn have a go at cutting the shape but my art skills are rather lacking. Failing no response on the above and expected failure on my own cutting skills, my only other option is a drive to his office near Bordon (unless another cali driver is close and willing to let him measure the glass on their camper).

Good find Lee, like you say the only way to get a perfect fit like this is with a paper template, I remember Kev had to do something similar to this for our mats. This could be a really popular product as the glass also scratches very easily aswell so some kind of protection would be very useful, especially if it is made to measure, maybe we can get them onboard as a partner as once they have the correct template people can just order directly from them knowing it will fit, they will then just need to choose a colour. I will send them an email and see what they can do us. :thumb

Hi Martin,

I have already mentioned the club and he seemed interested. He can also print on the mats. The ones I like have a bobble finish but I think there are other finishes available.

I will pm you his name and email later.

Would there be a (CAD) drawing from VW?

I've seen Calis with the non slip mats you get from pound world.
Guess warm pan bases would melt these tho.

You could pop your van up there Martin, let them do the template themselves -

Unit 4 & 5 Broxhead Trd Est, Lindford
Lindford
Bordon
Hampshire
GU35 0NY

If I was closer I would pop in there ... The mat's would be a good addition to my onboard protection program :) lol

unfortunately it is a 2 hour round trip for me, I will send them a paper template as soon as I hear back from them and will confirm the price with everyone.

Martin said:
unfortunately it is a 2 hour round trip for me, I will send them a paper template as soon as I hear back from them and will confirm the price with everyone.

Similar for me but if they thought it would be more suitable to do it that way I could arrange to visit.

Hi chaps,

I had already teed it up with Nick who would make the mats that I would go over but I only wanted to do that as a last resort.

Given I started this off, I wouldnt expect others to do my dirty work so if we reach a stage where visiting Nick would be beneficial then I will go.

I might need to go that way soon anyway but I remain hopeful that there is an expert measurer or cutter on here!!

Fantastic idea! I'd be very interested in a set when you get them sorted. Sorry I can't help with the pattern.

Hi all

This looks like a great idea. I'm expecting delivery of my new California in the next week or so and as luck would have it I'm only 3 miles down the road from Silex in Lindford, Hampshire.

I'll get in touch with them and arrange to take the van in to be measured up as soon as it arrives - watch this space!

Ed

Hi edhardy,

I am expecting to take my kiddy to grandparents next thursday and we sometimes handover at birdworld. If that happens and is before your delivery then I will pop in to see them. Please let me know if I arrives before then an I will let you know if I meet my parents for a handover.

Regards

Lee

A bonus would be if the mats could be fixed to the glass tops, without damaging them, as they do get opened a lot. ;)

John

If they don't stay in place on their own which I think they might I plan to use artists spray fixing adhesive. It should fix it nicely and clean of the glass easily.

When I tried the example Nick supplied, I lifted the lid no problems without them falling off. And this was with a size that only fitted against one edge as it was too big.

I think that is for two reasons. The backing just lends itself to being non slippery but possibly the main reason was the thickness/thiness/depth of the material abutted perfectly the edges of the surround. If you look at the glass where it meets the surround, there is a height difference and when cut to size, it will press against that perfectly. Plus the right one will have the benefit of the hole fitting round the silver disc.

Nick also send pressing down on the material will help although I didnt bother when I tried the test piece.

Really looking forward to getting this made up as if it works it will be a win win with heat resistance when cooking and protection of the glass :thumb

Hi edhardy,

My parents are back from hayling as they were getting flooded out at their caravan. As a result the handover of my lad is going to be where the live in nr Windsor.

So if your Cali does come this week, please let me know as it would save a trip to bordon, ta

Bordon isn't far from me so I'd be happy to go but..... I am in France at the moment (34 degrees on the Ardeche!) . We get back at the end of July if that's not too late?

Hi,

No funnily enough I was only thinking about this the other day. I haven't managed to get over during a weekday. I still intend to but not sure when.

Will try and push it up the list of jobs to do.

Did anything come of this? Having just discover a scratch on our fridge lid I'm keen to get some protection sorted.

Well spooky that you should post today of all days. :eek:

Nick sent me the mats and they arrived this morning. Unfortunately the fit wasn't brilliant so I am meeting him Monday morning for him to see it for himself.

Hopefully we will crack it soon.

Just an update for those interested.

The company making the mats unscrewed my glass hob shelf today and are keeping it for a few days so they can work on getting a spot on fit.

Once they have cracked it then they can take orders. The mat is different to the one I originally enquired on is different but better in my opinion. They have used a Matt finish Mat :crazy
I have mine in a grey that works well with my interior. I would imagine they will make it available in a range of colours.

Would imagine they will have it sorted very quickly now they can keep testing against the glass shelf.

Yeh great work Lee, this could be really popular, mine is already covered in scratches.

Back