Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand Cali 680 - hardest thing to buy.

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We have more or less settled on a GC 680 and have been trying to get info from VW in the UK and the Fatherland as to how we might actually see one of these things. The 'mid-19' UK launch date was just a mirage. Emails to German dealers and VW themselves have produced.... nothing. I understand that they are a bit miffed with us over our club membership but really?

If they are not very careful, we'll simply go off and buy the British equivalent.

Anyone have any information out there... please?

Personally I would go and buy something else. Lots of choice from so many manufacturers with better layouts. That’s what I will do once it’s time to sell our cal. Good luck.
Only my view.

We want the extra storage space for looonng trips in retirement. Love that big bed, hot water and a loo/shower.
The build quality seems to be WAY beyond the existing converters and that matters to us. Also, a now-almost-adult female Vizsla will be along for the ride and she has her adored memory-foam bed that she insists on bringing.

Why would VW be miffed about club membership?

We want the extra storage space for looonng trips in retirement. Love that big bed, hot water and a loo/shower.
The build quality seems to be WAY beyond the existing converters and that matters to us. Also, a now-almost-adult female Vizsla will be along for the ride and she has her adored memory-foam bed that she insists on bringing.
Have you looked at westfalia Columbus and also knaus box drive .

The build quality seems to be WAY beyond the existing converters and that matters to us

If you avoid the British marques you'll find that a lot of the continental stuff is high quality. If I was in the market for a van along the lines of the Grand California i'd certainly give them a look as they've been doing it for decades. Hymercar, La Strada, Westfalia, Knaus, Adria, Globecar etc.

When/if that thing arrives in British showrooms VW will be expecting customers like you to continue their product development for them. There will be issues with a brand new design, there always are! Accordingly, if I were you I'd not be in any rush to buy one of the first examples.

Whilst you can't in this instance, it's always far better to buy one of the last of a production run (previous model), as you'll be more likely to be getting a properly sorted vehicle with a lot more standard kit, not present on a brand new design model.

Whilst you can't in this instance, it's always far better to buy one of the last of a production run (previous model), as you'll be more likely to be getting a properly sorted vehicle with a lot more standard kit, not present on a brand new design model.
That was my logic with buying one of the last of the T5s instead of waiting a few months for a T6. So far so good...

Not for me either. I would probably go with an N&B Smove

At CCN in Amersfoort they will have the first delivery one of these weeks , they have send me a invitation for a special introduction on the evening of the 21st june coming ....
Who knows i might sign a deal:Nailbiting

Currently on a campsite in Germany and was taking fun of this thing. Basically saying a man who buys this, is a man who hates camping. Probably needed a special military convoy and road closures to get it here. Walk round the corner and the family are sitting outside it :talktothehand

I just don’t see the point of these things...?

Currently on a campsite in Germany and was taking fun of this thing. Basically saying a man who buys this, is a man who hates camping. Probably needed a special military convoy and road closures to get it here. Walk round the corner and the family are sitting outside it :talktothehand

View attachment 46110
I don’t know money maybe????
but anyway sod that ....where you are camping looks stunning

Thanks folks, for the views.
I innately agree with you, Borris, don't buy the first off the line as a general rule.
Interesting that they are just getting to the dealers in Holland.
We might have to get ourselves into a 3-year old Cali to be going on with. At least it would hold it's value.
I was referring to the B word. I don't think the majority of Germans have a very high respect for we Brits presently.

I gave up on the GC680 and explained why in this post.

I've gone for the Knaus Boxdrive and as luck would have it the first one landed in the UK last week and is available from Premier Motorhome in Doncaster https://www.premiummotorhomes.com.

As I'd ordered one I was invited up to Doncaster to cast an eye over it and have included a few pictures and details on the above thread....

View attachment 46110
I wouldn’t want one, but I bet there are people who properly hike into the wild with a backpack and tent who would say anyone in a Cali “hates camping” as well... it’s all relative. I have a Cali and TBH don’t consider sleeping in a van “proper camping” but I’m not gonna judge anyone. I do it because I have a family.
Maybe this person doesn’t like camping (or flying and hotels for that matter) but loves to travel, the freedom of the open road and luxury and can manage being on the road indefinitely in that thing.

Back