Grand California 680 Mattress

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi All,

Recently received my 680 and went out for a shake down before our trip and discovered that the centre mattress is a little narrow meaning it parts from the side mattress giving a 1.5" gap. never had an issue in the 600.

EBFC0FBB-6E9A-4307-9EDF-0D579E405083.jpeg

Hi
We found the same problem so we bought a king size mattress topper from John Lewis, which easily fits around the corners with elastic straps and pulls it all together. Easy to pull off and across to the right if you need to lift the bed. Gives it a lot more comfort too!

Linda

Hi Linda,

Many thanks for your helpful feedback I can see this is what we will end up doing however I’m still going to write to VW to voice an opinion of what’s not good about the bed mattress. It needs to change and if we don’t say anything it will just carry on as normal they only seem to change thing when enough of us complain, and that takes an eternity.

Thanks again Linda,

will

Hi Linda,

Many thanks for your helpful feedback I can see this is what we will end up doing however I’m still going to write to VW to voice an opinion of what’s not good about the bed mattress. It needs to change and if we don’t say anything it will just carry on as normal they only seem to change thing when enough of us complain, and that takes an eternity.

Thanks again Linda,

will
We should also start a "Make the Table Smaller" thread!

Yep lots of things I would add/change. First time we slept on the bed I could feel the 'gap' sleeping on the right and moaned all night hence bought a topper to pull it all together. Topper loses the 'cut away' section which I am not sure what it is for? We have bought a small step to climb on to the bed which folds away when not needed. Also I like water by my bed at night and would like a larger slot to stand drinks bottle so it doesn't fall over and spill. Agree with Soton Campers the table is far too big and difficult to get round - need a smaller one as well depending on how many you need to seat (should be standard)? Also a very small fold down cup/drinks shelf or two would be welcome around the seating area when you haven't got the table out. Guess I expect too much! Otherwise we are very very happy with our 680 for two!

We should also start a "Make the Table Smaller" thread!
I have already done that Darryl, took it to a joinery firm and had it cut down and rebanded. now much easier access to the front seats. If you go that route do not move the leg.

It would be great if VW adopted the California Ocean approach. I reckon they could either do a slide out table on a rail that tucks into the side of the bench seat, or fit something into the sliding door.

Agreed! Our friend have the Cali Ocean and I love their table tucked away by the bench seat. Such a pain to store the GC table on the bed. Discussing the pros and cons of each Cali we decided the only real solution was to own one of each to cover everything! ha ha ha :))

Hi All,

Recently received my 680 and went out for a shake down before our trip and discovered that the centre mattress is a little narrow meaning it parts from the side mattress giving a 1.5" gap. never had an issue in the 600.

View attachment 76993
When we were looking to change our Cali, we tried the GC680 at the NEC (twice). Having tried the bed, I pointed out to the VW team the problem with the mattress, and falling in the gap left by the poor fitting mattress, and how thin they were - while very polite I wasn’t encouraged by their response. Clearly no meaningful feedback to the factory provided ……

When we were looking to change our Cali, we tried the GC680 at the NEC (twice). Having tried the bed, I pointed out to the VW team the problem with the mattress, and falling in the gap left by the poor fitting mattress, and how thin they were - while very polite I wasn’t encouraged by their response. Clearly no meaningful feedback to the factory provided ……
It’s a real shame as everything else really works well just surprised on how they can get this so wrong

What about this? I've not translated the page but I would hope for that price the mattress and infill is included! https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/514/calibed-grand-california-680?c=101
Hello,

there are 2 options for this 680 mattress one with (like the original) and one without "opening"

And the price is for the mattress plus infill .
People from the German forum who bought these mattresses seems to be very happy with it.
For the GC 600 there is also a mattress :

Bart

Hello,

there are 2 options for this 680 mattress one with (like the original) and one without "opening"

And the price is for the mattress plus infill .
People from the German forum who bought these mattresses seems to be very happy with it.
For the GC 600 there is also a mattress :

Bart
Evening Bart, trust your well.

Thanks for sending this through to us Brits. Well let’s see what VW say first. Let’s try to be optimist.

Thanks again.

Will

Hi All,

View attachment 76993
Hi Will,
I have just picked up a 680 and it is exactly the same. Haven't slept on it yet so not sure if it is going to be a problem.

Hi Will,
I have just picked up a 680 and it is exactly the same. Haven't slept on it yet so not sure if it is going to be a problem.
Well I spoke to VW Customer Care today and registered it as unfit for purpose so let’s see how it goes, the mattresses itself is comfortable but can’t put up with falling between the opening. I feel the outer mattresses are fine it’s the centre one that’s the issue.

Hi All,

View attachment 76993
Hi Will

I replaced the foam in my mattress, is it possible to add a small thin piece of foam down the outside. So it pushes mattresses together.
Local hardware stores sell foam cut to size. I used Clarence hardware store (Shirley soton).

Hi Will

I replaced the foam in my mattress, is it possible to add a small thin piece of foam down the outside. So it pushes mattresses together.
Local hardware stores sell foam cut to size. I used Clarence hardware store (Shirley soton).
Hi how are you haven’t seen you on for a bit, hope all good with you.

Great tip may well have to go that route if VW don’t play fairly. It is actually comfortable until you slip down the gap.

Will

Great tip may well have to go that route if VW don’t play fairly. It is actually comfortable until you slip down the gap.

Will
I’m here a bit, tend to post stuff under dog section (broken collie happy).
Looking forward to seeing some pics of the new van once you’re up and running.
I saw bobcats 680 the other day very nice.

Will
Hey Will
We’ve used memory foam strips that the other half has covered in fabric. The best place we found is to put them between the mattress on the off side, not against the windows as if you do, they ride up against the blinds.

Hey Will
We’ve used memory foam strips that the other half has covered in fabric. The best place we found is to put them between the mattress on the off side, not against the windows as if you do, they ride up against the blinds.
Got it, very good tip Ian thanks for that.

What about this? I've not translated the page but I would hope for that price the mattress and infill is included! https://shop.vwcamper.de/schlafkomfort/514/calibed-grand-california-680?c=101
Good morning. This is the exact mattress we’d like but they don’t ship to UK.
Could anybody (German forum members, perhaps) help with a UK supplier?
FYI (apologies if you already know this) if you need to translate a page into English, hit the button showing the two uppercase “AA” left of the address bar and scroll down to “translate”
Ian

E7F5A3D9-B4D2-4FE6-911D-847078CB36AF.jpeg

Hi Ian,

I live in Germany and bought products from this shop (=calicap.de).
Due to the new custom regulations is it difficult for small companies to ship to the U.K.
So most small EU companies stopped shipping to the u.k.

As far as I know there is no supplier for these products in the U.K.
And unfortunately I have no solution for you on the moment.

Regards
Bart

Hi Ian,

I live in Germany and bought products from this shop (=calicap.de).
Due to the new custom regulations is it difficult for small companies to ship to the U.K.
So most small EU companies stopped shipping to the u.k.

As far as I know there is no supplier for these products in the U.K.
And unfortunately I have no solution for you on the moment.

Regards
Bart
Thank you for the reply, Bart.
I don’t suppose you know who actually manufactures them, do you?
No problem if not.
Ian

Hi Ian,
Tom the operator of the German VW California forum designed the mattress and I think he also manufacture them and sell them in his shop. Over the years members of this forum had some very good and useful ideas for VW California he implemented some ideas , improved , tested and sell them in his shop. On the moment he develops a pull out storage unit for the GC. I have one for our T5.2.

regards Bart

I am not related with him and have no financial interest;)

Back