Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 680 Mattress

Hi Ian,
Tom the operator of the German VW California forum designed the mattress and I think he also manufacture them and sell them in his shop. Over the years members of this forum had some very good and useful ideas for VW California he implemented some ideas , improved , tested and sell them in his shop. On the moment he develops a pull out storage unit for the GC. I have one for our T5.2.

regards Bart

I am not related with him and have no financial interest;)
Thank you, Bart!

Hi Ian,

I live in Germany and bought products from this shop (=calicap.de).
Due to the new custom regulations is it difficult for small companies to ship to the U.K.
So most small EU companies stopped shipping to the u.k.

As far as I know there is no supplier for these products in the U.K.
And unfortunately I have no solution for you on the moment.

Regards
Bart
Hi Bart I have emailed you on the German forum.

Will

I have already done that Darryl, took it to a joinery firm and had it cut down and rebanded. now much easier access to the front seats. If you go that route do not move the leg.
Why not move the leg?

Yep lots of things I would add/change. First time we slept on the bed I could feel the 'gap' sleeping on the right and moaned all night hence bought a topper to pull it all together. Topper loses the 'cut away' section which I am not sure what it is for? We have bought a small step to climb on to the bed which folds away when not needed. Also I like water by my bed at night and would like a larger slot to stand drinks bottle so it doesn't fall over and spill. Agree with Soton Campers the table is far too big and difficult to get round - need a smaller one as well depending on how many you need to seat (should be standard)? Also a very small fold down cup/drinks shelf or two would be welcome around the seating area when you haven't got the table out. Guess I expect too much! Otherwise we are very very happy with our 680 for two!
The 'cut away" section is to help you to get onto the bed without a step. The idea is to stand in the cut away space with your back to the bed, place your hands on the bed left and right of you and push up.
Fortunately my mattresses are fine. No gap! We have slept very comfortably, using a wool filled mattress topper though, since I'm not a big fan of foam.
I agree on the table being too big. I'm also making a smaller one.

Why not move the leg?
Hi,

if you move the leg any further to the left, when sitting on the bench seat it restricts leg/feet access when trying to sit down.

The 'cut away" section is to help you to get onto the bed without a step. The idea is to stand in the cut away space with your back to the bed, place your hands on the bed left and right of you and push up.
Fortunately my mattresses are fine. No gap! We have slept very comfortably, using a wool filled mattress topper though, since I'm not a big fan of foam.
I agree on the table being too big. I'm also making a smaller one.
Hi I believe the cut away section is to aid easy access to the low level cabinets each side. I have now added shelves which increases storage. It also helps getting to the high level cabinets.

The centre mattress is cut to narrowly and you fall into the gap, currently in dialog with VW UK as its not fit for purpose.

Hi All

I solved the mattress problems in my 680 (gaps, comfort, etc) with a custom topper from Duvalay , take a look at their website, https://www.duvalay.co.uk, they do custom bedding, mattresses and toppers for all sorts of vehicles, boats etc. It took a little back and forth to get the dimension drawing correct but I now have a topper and 2 sets of fitted bedding which are great, the bed is more comfortable than the one in the house! It wasn't cheap but it was cheaper than getting a new mattress from Germany as mentioned above.

Hi All

I solved the mattress problems in my 680 (gaps, comfort, etc) with a custom topper from Duvalay , take a look at their website, https://www.duvalay.co.uk, they do custom bedding, mattresses and toppers for all sorts of vehicles, boats etc. It took a little back and forth to get the dimension drawing correct but I now have a topper and 2 sets of fitted bedding which are great, the bed is more comfortable than the one in the house! It wasn't cheap but it was cheaper than getting a new mattress from Germany as mentioned above.
Thanks for posting, if not to inconvenient would love to see your photos of your topper and. In situ.

Thanks

Well I spoke to VW Customer Care today and registered it as unfit for purpose so let’s see how it goes, the mattresses itself is comfortable but can’t put up with falling between the opening. I feel the outer mattresses are fine it’s the centre one that’s the issue.
Hi Will,
I have e-mailed VW Customer Services to complain about the gap in the mattress on my 680 and there response was that I should take it into my VW Van Centre and get them to look at it. I have spoken to my Van Centre who were told by VW that if their showroom 680 was the same (which it was) then that is what they are all like and there's nothing they can do. It really is not good enough. I am sure that if VW get enough complaints then they will change the dimensions of the mattress from the supplier (its a simply matter that they have made the middle mattress too narrow).
See attached two photos showing the problem with my 680 mattress.

A465F1DC-95A8-4E1B-8B0E-0AF3D4EF2A2A.jpeg

3AFC892F-6DBF-4977-9243-4D92B69C7736.jpeg

Hi Topsy

Was hoping to PM you but unfortunately you are not a VIP member as would like to talk to you off line.
Can you join?
Will

Thanks for posting, if not to inconvenient would love to see your photos of your topper and. In situ.

Thanks
IMG_0526.jpgIMG_0524.jpgIMG_0523.jpgIMG_0525.jpgIMG_0527.jpg
Hi
sorry for the delay, just not had time to post these. the bed is now amazing to sleep in and you don`t feel the splits especially once the fitted sheets are on. Duval would make a mattress too.

View attachment 82841View attachment 82840View attachment 82843View attachment 82845View attachment 82847
Hi
sorry for the delay, just not had time to post these. the bed is now amazing to sleep in and you don`t feel the splits especially once the fitted sheets are on. Duval would make a mattress too.
That looks excellent. I decided to try a bog standard topper first and got one off Amazon £63.99. Fits pretty much perfectly in the super king size and just a flat sheet of the top. You can still step into the cutaway fairly easily, it just moves in. Now I’ve only slept in the bed one night and was comparing it to the roof of a T5 conversion. However, it felt great and compared to some of the options it’s pretty cheap.

C4E7968B-A239-4C21-8B72-D8547CB88503.png

Back