Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California kitchen “noice” during driving

B

Bren54

Vehicle
Grand California 680
Hi all, we picked up our GC 680 yesterday . During the long drive we got nuts from all the noice that came from the kitchen when we drove on a bumpy road.
All the drawers, kabinets and the fridge are empty so no clue why it is making so much noice. It is a rattling noice looks like it is coming from the drawer underneath the stove.
Any one else that is having this or had the same problem?

Hi all, we picked up our GC 680 yesterday . During the long drive we got nuts from all the noice that came from the kitchen when we drove on a bumpy road.
All the drawers, kabinets and the fridge are empty so no clue why it is making so much noice. It is a rattling noice looks like it is coming from the drawer underneath the stove.

Might be worth checking the panelling immediately to the right of the window on the sliding door. This also drove us nuts until we figured it out - it sounded exactly like it was coming from the kitchen.

The (temporary) “solve” for us is just a firm press with the palm of your hand on the grey panelling. This sticks together some adhesive taking internal to the door, which is coming loose and allowing the panel to “flap” against the window housing, causing the noise.

The act of shutting the side door, and the force required to do so, often sets it loose, so just firm press again. Eventually, this will stop working, so I need a better look at a proper solution at some point.

74ab6947b2702b790a7e5e9dd513fcd0.jpg

Might be worth checking the panelling immediately to the right of the window on the sliding door. This also drove us nuts until we figured it out - it sounded exactly like it was coming from the kitchen.

The (temporary) “solve” for us is just a firm press with the palm of your hand on the grey panelling. This sticks together some adhesive taking internal to the door, which is coming loose and allowing the panel to “flap” against the window housing, causing the noise.

The act of shutting the side door, and the force required to do so, often sets it loose, so just firm press again. Eventually, this will stop working, so I need a better look at a proper solution at some point.

Will try. Thanks.

The noise we had sounded like it was coming from the area just above the sliding door and sounded a bit like a buggie in a cage constantly chirping. It tended to happen after about 15mins of driving so I think it might be where two panels/units butt up against each other and the movement causes friction and when warm enough start squeaking It’s at the dealership now but don’t have much hope they’ll fix that particular problem. I’ll probably end up taking the van back when it’s making the noise and pick up the mechanic and let him identify what it is whilst I’m driving around.

Will try. Thanks.

The sound I heard came from the kitchen itself. It was also shaking a lot during the trip. Could be the fridge. But will need to check again.

I checked and It is the big drawer and the fridge that are making the noise. Someone told me it is caused by the fact that they are empty. Is this correct?

I read that some people have had to reinforce the drawer runners with extra screws

I found the panel next to sliding door is Velcro on and has a slight squeak. After a few months I’ve had a few more rattles. I’ve silicone sprayed every joint now, runners etc and all is quiet now.

I found the panel next to sliding door is Velcro on and has a slight squeak. After a few months I’ve had a few more rattles. I’ve silicone sprayed every joint now, runners etc and all is quiet now.
Good call re silicon spray, will try that. Talking of Velcro it just reminded me that the bench seat is Velcroed down which surprised me.

We fixed some squeaks coming from the bathroom door etc. with PTFE spray, worked great.

Back