Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

VW Grand California 680

So are you going even bigger now breeze did I read you have a 680 on order?

Morning, yes hopefully due mid/late March.

How you settling in up there, your pictures looked great in the snow. Hopefully doing a few of the islands in May.

Will

I had an email from VW dealer yesterday = mail@volkswagenvansuk.co.uk
Said order is still in progress. Estimated delivery date was the 11th June on order form.
But dealer said he thinks it would be more like early May. Ordered it on 12th January.
I originally thought you could just order one and it arrives in a few weeks. Under the current madness of lockdown, not such a problem. As long as it arrives in May, I will be happy. I wonder how many people are buying these under the current situation? cost a lot of money. Mind you I did get a good deal.

Morning, yes hopefully due mid/late March.

How you settling in up there, your pictures looked great in the snow. Hopefully doing a few of the islands in May.

Will
Hi

I’m getting itchy feet, so can’t wait to get back out on the road again!
I should be getting my new joker in May (fingers crossed), so may end up passing you.

so what made you go to the 680 was it the traverse bed in the 600?

I think looks more sexy, only me and the Wife. More room, and from my research the crafter van is a great van anyway so great choice for a campervan. Was originally going to get a motorhome, but like the idea of parking any where and can also park this on the street. Great double bed, and also bought additional blow up awning for living room in the summer. So exciting, feel like a kid again waiting for xmas. I will also use mine as an office when working + home. Just need to work out how to power my power PC and 22" screen. Could be 700 Watts for PC. Only when not connected to grid. Thinking of buying a honda 10i generator. Only 50db. 2000kw. Also best set up for working. Need to make it like an office really, table location and room for screen etc.

Hi

I’m getting itchy feet, so can’t wait to get back out on the road again!
I should be getting my new joker in May (fingers crossed), so may end up passing you.

so what made you go to the 680 was it the traverse bed in the 600?
Good news for you no your new Joker, I was watching a very recent video of a new one on you tube, very up-to date. beautifully finished. Colour option?

Well we before this pandemic were going to travel around Italy for 3 months. however since we took delivery late July and 3800 miles later have decided there is not enough galley storage space, not that we carry lots of gear but I do like it stowed away neatly.

We managed fairly early on to eliminate rattles except on large pot holes. As we are only 5.7 the transverse bed was really big enough and very comfortable compared to the T6 . A 6 footer would fit but no more.

Also wanted larger solar panel and slightly lower roof line.
The GC is a great campervan really easy to drive great for 2 people as just like any other panel van.

I hope you get yours as expected, did you order yours with all season tyres. I did and hoping they come with Michelin CC.

I'm up there in early May hopefully before the midges if she lets us in. I'm due for my jag next week unfortunately my wife I'm guessing June ish time.

Will

This is what I use eliminate the rattles!

My new joker comes with no wheels or tyres, part of the deal with campersales so I can get what I want (not stuck with standard davenports).

I like the GC interior just not ready for a bigger van as would go 680 for 4x4 and a proper length bed.DE185431-354A-4979-8E55-68C137BEFBD7.jpeg

This is what I use eliminate the rattles!

My new joker comes with no wheels or tyres, part of the deal with campersales so I can get what I want (not stuck with standard davenports).

I like the GC interior just not ready for a bigger van as would go 680 for 4x4 and a proper length bed.View attachment 72597
I tend to use ear muffs or listen to my wife!

No wheel option I like that. any idea what you may go for.

I'm going to use the current ones I have on the 600 for the moment as they are a direct replacement specification for the horrid ones that come on the GC

1611855186653.png

I quite like the Black Rhino wheels but a little concerned about the large difference in offset

1611855144564.png

I think looks more sexy, only me and the Wife. More room, and from my research the crafter van is a great van anyway so great choice for a campervan. Was originally going to get a motorhome, but like the idea of parking any where and can also park this on the street. Great double bed, and also bought additional blow up awning for living room in the summer. So exciting, feel like a kid again waiting for xmas. I will also use mine as an office when working + home. Just need to work out how to power my power PC and 22" screen. Could be 700 Watts for PC. Only when not connected to grid. Thinking of buying a honda 10i generator. Only 50db. 2000kw. Also best set up for working. Need to make it like an office really, table location and room for screen etc.
I know how you feel Paddy, we have just got our 680 and cant wait to get going. I said on another post recently that we plan to spend about 4-5 months away this year starting in Cherbourg in May - assuming we can get away. I do feel that hoidays in your own accomodation that you can keep away from crowds and busy spots is a relatively safe way to travel, but not sure that governments agree!!!

I tend to use ear muffs or listen to my wife!

No wheel option I like that. any idea what you may go for.

I'm going to use the current ones I have on the 600 for the moment as they are a direct replacement specification for the horrid ones that come on the GC

View attachment 72613

I quite like the Black Rhino wheels but a little concerned about the large difference in offset

View attachment 72612
I’m not sure yet, I do like the holeshots. Depends on how much I can get for my van, may just use the wheels off that.
I like them black rhinoBF8B3130-003B-434A-9A55-75D75A7971D6.pngCD62E504-6F65-447E-8DFD-5FBC3BDAE725.png

I like them a lot but limited due to axle weigh there are only 4 options. Any view on offset differential
I like the factory wheels, but if you wanted to go black then just get them powder coated.
I had blue powder coated wheels on a t5 years ago was pretty cheap to get done too.
5A120379-340E-4B19-96A6-01D569B19B0A.png

I like the factory wheels, but if you wanted to go black then just get them powder coated.
I had blue powder coated wheels on a t5 years ago was pretty cheap to get done too.
View attachment 72618
I’ve gone for the colour in your photo Indium grey. And would prefer the more rugged look. May well have my existing wheels powder coated.

The chap on here who’s in turkey with 680 4m had black steel wheels, which look cool87525DEC-9090-440A-8001-079A62BFBB3B.png

I'm pretty sure these are the standard issue European VW steel wheel but I'm struggling to find the VW part no. . I'm not even sure of there size.
Theres quite a lot of VW steel wheels on eBay but need to be careful with the load rating, offset, etc.
Any euro owners have this detail?.

I'm pretty sure these are the standard issue European VW steel wheel but I'm struggling to find the VW part no. . I'm not even sure of there size.
Theres quite a lot of VW steel wheels on eBay but need to be careful with the load rating, offset, etc.
Any euro owners have this detail?.
Hi Bob there is a whole thread on steel wheels and sizes on the German forum but from memory theirs come as standard with 16” steels

I too really did toy with a 680 there very nice,I just wished they had left the standard roof height the fibre glass top was the only downside....
We went for a Westfalia but I would consider a 680 if we ever need more storage space.
Re wheels I bought these ready to fit to our Sven I’m so desperate to get it it’s been a long wait
Check out these beauties

Attachments

• 5D5CA6BB-B5F5-487C-B689-68EFC0EDC635.jpeg
    5D5CA6BB-B5F5-487C-B689-68EFC0EDC635.jpeg
    264.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 9DC234E3-E3F6-4FEA-8604-8252D334B081.jpeg
    9DC234E3-E3F6-4FEA-8604-8252D334B081.jpeg
    254.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 2BE2068F-67B6-4507-8B42-4B70EE86D1B0.jpeg
    2BE2068F-67B6-4507-8B42-4B70EE86D1B0.jpeg
    291 KB · Views: 39
I too really did toy with a 680 there very nice,I just wished they had left the standard roof height the fibre glass top was the only downside....
We went for a Westfalia but I would consider a 680 if we ever need more storage space.
Re wheels I bought these ready to fit to our Sven I’m so desperate to get it it’s been a long wait
Check out these beauties
you saving up for the forth wheel!! :) love them what are they , Load rating and Offset please.

you saving up for the forth wheel!! :) love them what are they , Load rating and Offset please.
Lol
The wheels are really strong way over the load rating of the standard wheels..the struggle with a 680 is tyres these tyres are just over a 1000kg each so although within your rating it’s getting up there
These are black rhino .

Offset 30

Offset 30
Thanks for that, I really would like to fit a set of Black Rhino but a bit concerned about the effects of the large offset differential. Do you know of any negative effects by fitting wheels with a significant difference,
When are you getting yours, Guess you've seen enough of these. its the latest model year few changes.

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I really would like to fit a set of Black Rhino but a bit concerned about the effects of the large offset differential. Do you know of any negative effects by fitting wheels with a significant difference,
When are you getting yours, Guess you've seen enough of these. its the latest model year few changes.
I watched that last night he just uploaded 3 in different colours.love em...
Re the wheels
I have not come across and issues in the past with the change of offset,
As long as it’s flush with the arch it’s all good

I watched that last night he just uploaded 3 in different colours.love em...
Re the wheels
I have not come across and issues in the past with the change of offset,
As long as it’s flush with the arch it’s all good
Ok thanks just wondering about the wheel bearings and perhaps additional stress on the steering, may be I over think things?

What colour, have you a build date, will you still attend meets

Ok thanks just wondering about the wheel bearings and perhaps additional stress on the steering, may be I over think things?

What colour, have you a build date, will you still attend meets
I wouldn’t be too worried
The et on the standard steels are et 51 so it’s 20mm a side difference
Your load bearing is still on the hubs that the wheels are bolted to, it’s just the dish of the wheel that’s wider...
(not like fitting a spacer) putting load on the hub .
Well in my head that makes sense;)
Indium grey

Back