Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California roof bed

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Beatrixkiddo
Forgot to mention that as I'm no longer a Cali owner, I've also joined the Motorhomefun forum £15 per year gives full access and a monthly mag/prevoius back issues which is rather good.
Tend to flit between the two, both are worth keeping an eye on.
Also about to uplate our van to 4000kg from 3500kg, more info on motorhomefun site.

B

BeatrixKiddo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
I checked the pop top insulation and there's no description of the material however on the Hymer brochure it says Polyester. Were the children cold upstairs? One our one night away (downstairs) we were absolutely warm under a good duvet but realised it was a bit chilly when we got up as we didn't have heating on.
What a palaver yesterday. We have an Autowatch Canbus 695 alarm system and it started going off (after I went up to pop top to look at insulation :) Anyway took pop up down and alarm kept going off for hours. We were unable to close the door without switching on alarm and the key within the Merc hob didn't work! At one point Mr K was going to have to sleep inside all night. In the end managed to lock doors and had to leave key nearby (!!) so that alarm wouldn't automatically set. Our dealer is closed today so we will have to contact tomorrow. Sometimes things are just a bit too "smart".
We upgraded to 4000kg when we ordered ours and that was very easy (we didn't have to do anything apart from pay £100+...can't remember how much)

Do you have to be a NT member to stay at one of their sites. Like the look of the one you mentioned. We hope to head north Nov/Dec (getting later and later isn't it)

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi Beatrixkiddo
Just back from a very wet Lake District, NT phoned on route to cancel booking due to flooded site at Boot (no hardstanding) offered an alternative at Great Langdale which turned out to be great.
Only had 8 small hardstanding pitches all booked but plenty of parking that would normally be used for tent parking. This site is mainly geared up for tents and walkers but does have waste disposal. Excellent facilities as you would expect from NT.
Very rural, at the end of the valley, three pubs within walking distance and in normal times would be fantastic.
Didnt stop raining when we were there, sheets of horizontal hail/rain, Wednesday night particularly rough, hail, rain and gusting wind.
Poptop stood up to it well, unbelievably the kids sleeped through the lot.
With regards to your alarm, we have a Autowatch system and also had problems, turned out the alarm was programmed for a normal Sprinter van and not a Sprinter/motorhome programme.
Once reprogrammed all good.
One thing I'm not sure of, does your electric handbrake light on the dash intermittently come on when ignition off.
Not sure if this is normal or not?

B

BeatrixKiddo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
@Wondering Star
Apologies for delay in responding. We haven't been out at all in the van due to the current circumstances - plus Mr BK's contract has been extended. We had to move it this week so checked re the electric handbrake light. It doesn't dash on ours when ignition off.
We tried to fix the insulation to the pop top and can't do it! We need to go back to the garage with it and see what they say.
Autowatch were great...sent someone round to fix the situation for us and we've also ended up getting their Ghost immobiliser fitted. (We have the Merc one but haven't a clue how it works) There has also been a spate of vehicle thefts round here so we thought we should be extra cautious.
I used to be a member of that forum. Very active and lots of interesting and knowledgeable, friendly people however the moderator had an issue with me (too long to go in to but apparently he has "previous" according to some private emails I received). Anyhow he deleted my account and sent me back my £15!

B

BeatrixKiddo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
@Wondering Star, just wondering about our battery situation. Van been stationary for a couple of weeks and today found our battery completely dead. Doing a bit of research seems to indicate that Autowatch alarms certainly USED to drain batteries (!!) Have you had any issues?

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hi
I have had something similar when the dash warning light indicated a low battery, this was confirmed on the campervan control panel.
My solar panel app indicates a drain of 0.10 - 0.30 amps which I suspect is the alarm as it's a fluctuating reading that seems to mimic the alarm flashing light.
Personally I think the flashing strobe light effect is a bit excessive , it's certainly ultra bright and if a could turn it off or change it to a simple blip every 10 seconds I would.
Unfortunately I think this alarm is better suited to a vehicle which is used every day, at this time of year with vehicle standing idle it's going to be a problem.
My solar is keeping the leisure batteries charged but I don't think much is going into the engine battery.
I'm supplementing the solar with a mains charge and a 20 mile run once a month.

B

BeatrixKiddo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Thanks for confirming that. Disappointing. Even more disappointing if the sound system doesn't work as it's quite good quality and we had hoped to take our music with us. That's will use up the battery. :( If I find out anything interesting I'll let you know. We're away for a couple of days from tomorrow hopefully.

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Are you talking about the vehicle sound system quality?
Not sure if your aware but it can be improved by disconnecting the centre dash speaker in the Mercedes.
The dash grille is massive and suggests a quality speaker, in reality a small speaker that manages to bounce it's sound off the windscreen totally over powering the door speakers which are at a lower level.
Not done it yet but it's a common fix to improve stereo sound quality.
How to do videos available on Youtube.
Not sure why speakers are so poor, but I have the feeling that if your really in to music upgrading the speakers is the only answer.

Breeze1

Breeze1

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Are you talking about the vehicle sound system quality?
Not sure if your aware but it can be improved by disconnecting the centre dash speaker in the Mercedes.
The dash grille is massive and suggests a quality speaker, in reality a small speaker that manages to bounce it's sound off the windscreen totally over powering the door speakers which are at a lower level.
Not done it yet but it's a common fix to improve stereo sound quality.
How to do videos available on Youtube.
Not sure why speakers are so poor, but I have the feeling that if your really in to music upgrading the speakers is the only answer.
Sorry to butt in, normally that dash board speaker emphasis the dialog for the phone.

B

BeatrixKiddo

Vehicle
Looking to buy
@Wondering Star

the sound system is going to be run off the starter battery isn't it. That means more pressure on it. Just concerned as our battery has run out within less than 14 days. Just wondering how much wild camping we can do at this time of the year now. Just away to do some research and see if a portable generator would have enough power to jump start vehicle if we needed to.

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
If on a hook up it's not a problem as the main starter battery will receive some charge, also when we wild camp the alarm is not set when in the van.
To be honest your biggest concern will be the leisure battery. On my last trip to the lakes our two 95 amp hr AGM's lasted 2/3 days and that's with 200watt of solar.
In the UK any camping in the winter months will be compromised and you will need hook up.
You could consider upgrading the batteries to lithium but at a cost and possible wiring upgrading, lithium 95 amp hr battery £1200 ish.
If you want to wild camp and not be reliant on hook up a considerable investment is needed.
Check out the new Winnebago EKKO camper to be launched shorty in the State's and you will see how to be self sufficient in power and water.
The majority of European vans are not really suited to all year off grid camping.
I tend to listen to music through my phone and blue tooth mini speaker, generators tend to be noisy even the so called quite ones and some sites may not allow use.
I plan to keep my set up standard for now but for next winter I will fit two lithium batteries but I don't expect much change out of 3k

W

Wondering Star

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I'm not sure about the phone, but when I viewed the fix on YouTube it was suggested to only remove one of the two wires to allow other features to work.
When I get round to doing mine I will test phone operation.
Expensive sound system with appalling sound quality!

VW California Club