Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Solar cable run - access?

I get that people are baffled by my plan! For me putting cables through the boot door seal is a bit like putting the garden hose on the kitchen tap through a window. I may end up doing that but I think this picture is a far more elegant solution and looks more OEM.View attachment 128618
it doesn't go through the boot door seal. anyway good luck with the install.looks good

Hi - think the best route is to make a tiny hole (with grommet) at the top of the pop top fabric, the entry hole is protected by a slight overhang of the roof. Then follow the same route as the LED cable - then through the grommet. Threading through to the wardrobe area is not so easy but possible, there are no hidden barriers. This, i think, makes the neatest installation. No drilling holes in the roof, just a tiny hole in the fabric.
I suppose if you used a heated bit to puncture the fabric, you would get a neat hole, and self seal so it wouldn’t unravel any further.

Disadvantage is, no go if your van is under warranty and potentially develops leaky bellows.

Wouldn’t the cable get trapped under the roof though when down? And could this distort the aluminium?

I may not be envisaging your idea correctly.

Last edited:
I've nothing against drilling a small protected hole in the roof to get an OEM looking solution. I will use a marine grommet which is very discrete.

Does anyone know how to access inside this part of the rear trim?

View attachment 128605
When i did mine i didnt touch that panel. i followed the same path as you through the roof and down the folding point and ythen drilled a hole above the wordrobe and fitted a grommet, and then staight down into the wardrobe. All good and its been fine for about three years now.

When i did mine i didnt touch that panel. i followed the same path as you through the roof and down the folding point and ythen drilled a hole above the wordrobe and fitted a grommet, and then staight down into the wardrobe. All good and its been fine for about three years now.
Interesting. Do you mean at the foot of the upstairs bed? Where in this pic?
thx
b
Screenshot 2024-09-08 at 18.19.26.png

I suppose if you used a heated bit to puncture the fabric, you would get a neat hole, and self seal so it wouldn’t unravel any further.

Disadvantage is, no go if your van is under warranty and potentially develops leaky bellows.

Wouldn’t the cable get trapped under the roof though when down? And could this distort the aluminium?

I may not be envisaging your idea correctly.
The hole is at the top of the fabric and is protected by the overhang of the ‘eaves’. The thin cable doesn't snag as the roof isn’t a complete seal anyway….

The hole is at the top of the fabric and is protected by the overhang of the ‘eaves’. The thin cable doesn't snag as the roof isn’t a complete seal anyway….
Thanks, I get where you’re intending now

IMG_20220512_092522.jpg
As per some of the others the MPPT is mounted by the top shelf them the cable runs down the left of the shelfs and along behind the wardrobe and down to the leisure battery. And a monitor panel on the right side of the wardrobe door facing forward.

IMG_20220512_133034.jpg

IMG_20220512_133310.jpg

It's a bosswerk neptun 130wh panel, on a vagabunde plate.
In between is black channeled plastic.
Both glued with a product similar to sikaflex.
No connector needed, panel came with a long cable, 2 or 2.5 meters.
Victron in the upper cabinet.
Cable invisible inside
Scanstrut cable mount, high Quality.
All diy, around 420 euro Total.
Used 4mm2 solar cable to battery.
Inline fuses 15A