Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California Window Blinds.

B

Bobcat01

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I had the misfortune to break a window blind at the weekend. This happened very easily and without force and I suspect will happen to more of us as time progresses. The design is extremely poor and leads to the internal cord rubbing on a plastic edge and chafing.

For info I’ve posted some photos to let you understand where the issue lies and decide if you want to try a self fix. Having had a close look of the mechanism, I would not be keen to totally dismantle the blind as the internals look extremely complicated and unlikely to go back together again. However a temporary fix was possible in my case without a full dismantle.

The blind was on the drivers side and was extremely difficult to remove due to the last two bottom screws being hidden behind the cupboards.

5D55D408-B510-4CC9-AD3B-B3EB6D8224CA.jpeg

FEB5E626-5AF3-453A-ABCC-E9AF589D22EB.jpeg
ps the washer is how VW built it originally!

Last edited:
Really sorry to see, On the other hand My main door fly screen dropped out and guess what, they are on back order just like the Thule step which I have been waiting for since handover late April.

Guess I will await the blind issue,

Add my blind and water cap flap to the back order list as well.

Add my blind and water cap flap to the back order list as well.
Re water cap, they are Fawo. not many around. could try this.

Will

Thanks Will, the first one looks identical to the VW one and exact dimensions.
At a third of the price it’s worth a try.

Thanks Will, the first one looks identical to the VW one and exact dimensions.
At a third of the price it’s worth a try.
Your welcome, I believe they are the supplier to VW, don’t hang around as as you probably know there is a shortage. Should get you out of a problem.

Will

I had the misfortune to break a window blind at the weekend. This happened very easily and without force and I suspect will happen to more of us as time progresses. The design is extremely poor and leads to the internal cord rubbing on a plastic edge and chafing.

For info I’ve posted some photos to let you understand where the issue lies and decide if you want to try a self fix. Having had a close look of the mechanism, I would not be keen to totally dismantle the blind as the internals look extremely complicated and unlikely to go back together again. However a temporary fix was possible in my case without a full dismantle.

The blind was on the drivers side and was extremely difficult to remove due to the last two bottom screws being hidden behind the cupboards.

View attachment 82547

View attachment 82548
ps the washer is how VW built it originally!
Hi Bobcat

My drivers middle window blind has done the same. Could you tell me how you got the blind out? Did you have to remove the wall panels etc or are there hidden screws and wiggle it out?

Thanks
Ben

Hi Bobcat

My drivers middle window blind has done the same. Could you tell me how you got the blind out? Did you have to remove the wall panels etc or are there hidden screws and wiggle it out?

Thanks
Ben
Hi guys any reason not to take it to the dealers under warranty, seems logical. My door flyscreen did exactly the same and replaced under warranty, it’s not like they have been abused.

Will

Hi Ben, The panels are only fixed by strong Velcro and easily fold back revealing the blind fixing screws 8off. Just make sure not to crease the wall panel. The issue you will then find is the two bottom blind screws are hidden behind the top edge of the lower cabinet unit and the only way to get them is to drill two holes in the cabinet edge in order to get them out. Don’t let the dealer remove all the cabinets.
In hindsight I would definitely recommend letting the dealer do it. Personally I didn’t trust them to remove the trim and blind but in the end in order to get it replaced under warranty I had to put it to the dealers to fit the replacement as they wouldn’t just swap the blinds for me to fit. New one is fine if a little stiff but my learning is to always use two hands to open and close that particular blind ( middle drivers side). as it’s larger than the others.

A photo to give you an idea you may just make out the cabinet raised edge in front of the blind the screws are approx 25mm behind there.

0307D7B0-424C-4E65-8240-4B156214D62D.jpeg

Perfect thanks. My mum makes blinds etc so fixing won’t be an issue it was just how to get to it.
Don’t fancy a 500m round trip for a blind fix and to be honest I’ve had to fix plenty of other little bits on the road I might as well do this one.

Back