Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand or not?

Leeky

Leeky

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We’ve owned a Cali for 4 years 180 dsg
It’s not big enough and fed up with setting up awnings and climbing up and down from roof bed as our lab sleeps in boot esp toilet break in the night,
Dilemma
We’ve looked at a couple of 6m motor homes with electric drop down beds Chausson we like the look of, BUT... are we going to regret it? The drive etc, being a 180 dsg, Some dealers say we will, should we get a grand California?

It’s not big enough and fed up with setting up awnings and climbing up and down from roof bed as our lab sleeps in boot esp toilet break in the night,
Dilemma
We’ve looked at a couple of 6m motor homes with electric drop down beds Chausson we like the look of, BUT... are we going to regret it? The drive etc, being a 180 dsg, Some dealers say we will, should we get a grand California?
To my knowledge the grand is an automatic but not DSG.

Hi, we recently changed our T6 150 DSG and purchased a Hymer Grand Canyon S 163 bhp based on a Mercedes Sprinter.
We to were feed up with the faff and lack of space (2 kids and sometimes dog).
Its really difficult and unfair to compare the two, it really depends on personal circumstances and what you want.
What I would say is any 6m van will not give you the driving experience of a 150 T6, let's face it , it's a great drive.
In comparison the the Mercesdes feels like a truck, solid and dependable.
Gives you the feeling you could go anywhere and do anything, at it's own pace.
What it does do fantastically well is give you a great camping experience, size and space give you more options.
We love the Hymer just as we loved the Cali and cant wait to do some extended touring.

Dilemma
We are just approaching 3k and the auto 8 speed box is silky smooth and the engine is loosening up nicely very responsive when needed. Storage is not bad at all particularly under the made up bed and storage cupboards, the space above the cabin is huge as we did not need the grandkids bed option. The shower room is more than adequate. The bed I would suggest would only be suitable for people of 6ft and under. The 680 would then be the option.

IMO a 6m van is not suitable for 4 people no matter how small they are unless you have a drive away attached, but that defeats your objective, plenty for the dog though.

The other consideration as with all California’s is great future residuals.

Happy hunting.

For what it's worth we sold our LWB (5.3m) T5 Bilbo Celex, not a Cali I know but close, which had the largest engine and an auto box last year, and imported from Germany (over lockdown) a new La Strada EB with the new Fiat Ducato 9 speed gearbox and the largest 180hp engine, on the Fiat heavy 4ton chassis. I am pretty sure the underlying van, the Ducato, is not as robust as the VW, which is what I expected. No doubt electrics over time will be more of an issue that the VW which was largely fault free over 10 years and 70km ( except some groaning front suspension problems). But the 2020 Ducato engine and gearbox combo is excellent. Changes are seamless. I've done about 3k miles and I'm getting 28.5 mpg, which I consider reasonable for a vehicle that on the weigh bridge is currently weighing in at 3.45 tons. And the habitation build is excellent, better IMO than Hymer, but it is 6.4m and there is no UK dealer. Fully winterised, heated waste tank, altitude kit for the diesel heater, full leather. Permanent longtudinal single beds that can make up into a huge double. Massive storage in the back. We love it. And although not cheap it is exactly what we wanted.

Dilemma
We have recently part exchanged our Ocean for a GC600 and are very happy with it so far. Simon1 is correct it is not DSG but automatic, however I have not really noticed that it is much different to drive than the DSG in our Ocean. The 2 main advantages are the on board toilet and the bed which is left made up all the time (rock-n-roll bed was a good idea but a pain at times). Disadvantages? So far nothing of note other than size but it is more complicated than the Cali especially the water system. We loved our Cali but we are learning to love our GC in the same way.

We have recently part exchanged our Ocean for a GC600 and are very happy with it so far. Simon1 is correct it is not DSG but automatic, however I have not really noticed that it is much different to drive than the DSG in our Ocean. The 2 main advantages are the on board toilet and the bed which is left made up all the time (rock-n-roll bed was a good idea but a pain at times). Disadvantages? So far nothing of note other than size but it is more complicated than the Cali especially the water system. We loved our Cali but we are learning to love our GC in the same way.
It’s really not so bad re water. The heating takes a bit of getting used to as you have the Truma system and then the main VW control panel but once you understand them you really do not have to fiddle much. Apart from on or off and temperature.

anyway happy days ahead.
Will

I have the TRUMA in the diesel version and it works very well and quickly.
Gives more autonomy but the best thing is that in turn I have more space in the AFT gas cabinet.
Instead of needing one or two 11kg gasbottles I only take a small 5 kg for the pits in the kitchen.
I use the free space for the gasgrill, pots and pans.

Changed our Cali for a Hymer Grand Canyon 163bhp auto on a Mercedes Sprinter.
Has optional pop top and is just under 6m long.
Transverse bed in rear for adults, body extention pods gives extra width.
I'm 6ft and find it very comfortable.
Kids sleep in massive poptop.
Heating runs on diesel or electric when on hook up (truma 6)
Dont regret it for a minute, although we have purchased a second car as 6m van is not really a daily runner.

It’s really not so bad re water. The heating takes a bit of getting used to as you have the Truma system and then the main VW control panel but once you understand them you really do not have to fiddle much. Apart from on or off and temperature.

anyway happy days ahead.
Will
The problem we had was locating all the FW drain down valves. There appear to be 5 in total and the ones in the rear left cupboard are hidden under the cupboard floor, got there in the end. Once you get used to the MFD it is very good though.

Changed our Cali for a Hymer Grand Canyon 163bhp auto on a Mercedes Sprinter.
Has optional pop top and is just under 6m long.
Transverse bed in rear for adults, body extention pods gives extra width.
I'm 6ft and find it very comfortable.
Kids sleep in massive poptop.
Heating runs on diesel or electric when on hook up (truma 6)
Dont regret it for a minute, although we have purchased a second car as 6m van is not really a daily runner.
I am 6'4" and i have no problem with the the GC600 transverse bed. The 680 bed is fore and aft.

I have the TRUMA in the diesel version and it works very well and quickly.
Gives more autonomy but the best thing is that in turn I have more space in the AFT gas cabinet.
Instead of needing one or two 11kg gasbottles I only take a small 5 kg for the pits in the kitchen.
I use the free space for the gasgrill, pots and pans.
How you getting on with one leisure battery?

If California is to small for your needs I would choose a motor home rather than the Grand Cali

For what it's worth we sold our LWB (5.3m) T5 Bilbo Celex, not a Cali I know but close, which had the largest engine and an auto box last year, and imported from Germany (over lockdown) a new La Strada EB with the new Fiat Ducato 9 speed gearbox and the largest 180hp engine, on the Fiat heavy 4ton chassis. I am pretty sure the underlying van, the Ducato, is not as robust as the VW, which is what I expected. No doubt electrics over time will be more of an issue that the VW which was largely fault free over 10 years and 70km ( except some groaning front suspension problems). But the 2020 Ducato engine and gearbox combo is excellent. Changes are seamless. I've done about 3k miles and I'm getting 28.5 mpg, which I consider reasonable for a vehicle that on the weigh bridge is currently weighing in at 3.45 tons. And the habitation build is excellent, better IMO than Hymer, but it is 6.4m and there is no UK dealer. Fully winterised, heated waste tank, altitude kit for the diesel heater, full leather. Permanent longtudinal single beds that can make up into a huge double. Massive storage in the back. We love it. And although not cheap it is exactly what we wanted.
We had our hearts set on a GC 680, but having joined the GC facebook group we have been put off by the multiple problems they appear to have. Also think VW have been a bit lazy on design. We are also considering a La Strada Nova EB and would be interested where you got yours from and was it easy to import?

Cali is the best. I use it for vacation and short trips, it has its some minuses but more pluses. It's an expensive car and keeping it in the garage all year round doesn't make any sense, I use it every day and that's why I won't buy GrandCalifornia or any other motorhome because it's just inconvenient and would be ridiculous in everyday use.If for someone California is uncomfortable, I suggest a caravan cheaper to buy and maintenance cost

1602840311383.png

We had our hearts set on a GC 680, but having joined the GC facebook group we have been put off by the multiple problems they appear to have. Also think VW have been a bit lazy on design. We are also considering a La Strada Nova EB and would be interested where you got yours from and was it easy to import?
You will probably find that the other vans have a similar level of faults its just that the GC owners are a bit more sociable & you get to hear about them.

We keep looking at the Knaus Boxdrive although for some it is no good as it has sleeping for three. Unfortunately there are none in the country to look at until early next summer.

For those with a GC 600 where do you store pots & pans & plates etc also how do you get on with only 1 leisure battery as I am considering moving from a cali ocean to a grand cali thanks

Has anyone seen a Westfalia Sven Hedin they seem to be a similar quality to the GC and the rear bed is longer due to the pop out. There don't seem to be many dealers though which may well be an issue.

Has anyone seen a Westfalia Sven Hedin they seem to be a similar quality to the GC and the rear bed is longer due to the pop out. There don't seem to be many dealers though which may well be an issue.
I saw one at the NEC a few years back and didn’t like the pop out flap much. The design seemed unsophisticated with a rubber bellow for the sides and on the demo was already damaged with a patch on it. The rest of the van looked ok apart from their awful graphics on the side (IMO).

For those with a GC 600 where do you store pots & pans & plates etc also how do you get on with only 1 leisure battery as I am considering moving from a cali ocean to a grand cali thanks
Had our 680 for 2 weekends now. Have diesel heater and works really well in either mode. Solar panel also makes need for 2 batteries go away. It costs but money well spent for me. Also I have a Honda generator, so this gives more freedom.
In the 680 there are two larger drawers that you can fit pots in (under sink), also there are 2 even larger storage cupboards next to the toilet. Plus two big cupboards under the bed and also the space you save by not needing 2 bottles.

Had our 680 for 2 weekends now. Have diesel heater and works really well in either mode. Solar panel also makes need for 2 batteries go away. It costs but money well spent for me. Also I have a Honda generator, so this gives more freedom.
In the 680 there are two larger drawers that you can fit pots in (under sink), also there are 2 even larger storage cupboards next to the toilet. Plus two big cupboards under the bed and also the space you save by not needing 2 bottles.
Thanks for that I am also considering a 680 now how do you find driving a ,6.8m van

Thanks for that I am also considering a 680 now how do you find driving a ,6.8m van
It takes a bit of getting used to especially in tight spaces and tight turns. The reversing camera helps and I never realised how rubbish car door mirrors are until I got this. They are enormous and make up for the fact that the rear view mirror only shows 1 back window that’s tiny. It cruises really well, about 1700 rpm at 60mph.

Back