Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti: a good idea or not?

... but who can say they had memorable moments in their toilet tents, hey?
:embarrased

View attachment 83978
For the 10% of the time i'm cut from civilisation or in emergencies: Luggable-Loo (bio-degradable bags); nonuple use.
The other 90% of the time I can do my daily main business in bars, public buildings, supermarkets,...
Sorry, just can't stand the idea of doing it in the living room and keeping it in the kitchen. Also, it saves me a whole cabinet!
But you have to “Store” the used bags somewhere until you can find the proper place to get rid. That’s a lovely view and a beautiful day. Have you tried it when it’s hammering down and pitch dark? My grandchildren are quite fussy about privacy and wouldn’t carry a bucket into the middle of a field in the rain to do their business especially when there is a possibility of someone seeing them.Thats one of the reasons we have a porta potti in our camper.

But you have to “Store” the used bags somewhere until you can find the proper place to get rid. That’s a lovely view and a beautiful day. Have you tried it when it’s hammering down and pitch dark? My grandchildren are quite fussy about privacy and wouldn’t carry a bucket into the middle of a field in the rain to do their business especially when there is a possibility of someone seeing them.Thats one of the reasons we have a porta potti in our camper.
As I said, for this 10%, when cut from civilization (so no living soul around), or in emergencies (e.g. rain). And usually I can wait long enough till it stops raining.
But even with a toilet tent I find the bucket more versatile than the Potti (even if I have a brand new one stored in my garage).

Last edited:
As I said, for this 10%, when cut from civilization (so no living soul around), or in emergencies (e.g. rain). And usually I can wait long enough till it stops raining. The bags I keep out of the van; a knot prevents them from smelling. Till now never had any issue with the system.
But even with a toilet tent I find the bucket more versatile than the Potti (even if I have a brand new one stored in my garage).
When a 5 year old needs to go.....they need to go..

... but who can say they had memorable moments in their toilet tents, hey?
:embarrased

View attachment 83978
For the 10% of the time i'm cut from civilisation or in emergencies: Luggable-Loo (bio-degradable bags); nonuple use.
The other 90% of the time I can do my daily main business in bars, public buildings, supermarkets,...
Sorry, just can't stand the idea of doing it in the living room and keeping it in the kitchen. Also, it saves me a whole cabinet!
"The other 90% of the time I can do my daily main business in bars, public buildings, supermarkets,..."

This is a staff announcement. Could the store cleaner go to aisle nine.

I’ve seen some really lovely public toilets in France. If you like squatting in 2 footprints and aiming for a hole in the ground. We decided early on that the way to go was with a porta potti. Getting up at 3 in the morning in the pouring rain to go to the loo on a campsite was not for us. And even worse if you stay on an Aire as there’s nowhere to go. Taking a spade with you, digging a hole and doing the burying trick when someone else has had the same idea as you...No. give us a Porta potti any day.
Aye we tend to use public toilets or campsite toilets before the porta potty. Use bottles for No1’s, less faff, chemicals etc
The potty is 2nd on the option list for no2’s only.

Aye we tend to use public toilets or campsite toilets before the porta potty. Use bottles for No1’s, less faff, chemicals etc
The potty is 2nd on the option list for no2’s only.
Bottles for No 1s?? . Ok next time my wife says she’s desperate for a pee. I will hand her a bottle.. I can assure you it won’t be glass because I know I will get it Round my head.

Bottles for No 1s?? . Ok next time my wife says she’s desperate for a pee. I will hand her a bottle.. I can assure you it won’t be glass because I know I will get it Round my head.
He meant to say .... "Bottle with the relevant attachment "

A shee wee is a game changer for females, especially in tick and Adder season in the outdoors.

He meant to say .... "Bottle with the relevant attachment "
You mean a bottle with a funnel? This gets even better ....It all sounds a little messy to me.. Me thinks a change of underwear will also be needed.

You mean a bottle with a funnel? This gets even better ....It all sounds a little messy to me.. Me thinks a change of underwear will also be needed.
They are a funnel with a shaped part. I am told works well

The people who invented the porta potti had all this in mind. But decided to make the funnel big enough to sit on. And less chance of peeing on your carpet and upholstery....

The people who invented the porta potti had all this in mind. But decided to make the funnel big enough to sit on. And less chance of peeing on your carpet and upholstery....
Aye well we use it a lot without issue and saves us on chemicals and hassle.
Each to his own.

Aye well we use it a lot without issue and saves us on chemicals and hassle.
Each to his own.
This is nothing to do with chemicals or saving the planet. For a man to have a pee it’s easy, 99% will go anywhere convenient. For a woman and that certainly includes my wife she would in no way squat down in the middle of a field (Even behind a hay Bale). She likes some privacy. And for No 2s Aisle Nine is definitely out of the question. I don’t care where you go as long as you get rid of all collected bags of the stuff you have accumulated over your travels sensibly and responsibility.

This is nothing to do with chemicals or saving the planet. For a man to have a pee it’s easy, 99% will go anywhere convenient. For a woman and that certainly includes my wife she would in no way squat down in the middle of a field (Even behind a hay Bale). She likes some privacy. And for No 2s Aisle Nine is definitely out of the question. I don’t care where you go as long as you get rid of all collected bags of the stuff you have accumulated over your travels sensibly and responsibility.
Working in the outdoors, leave no trace is a given. The No1 solution we use is not for everyone, its what ever works for you and yours.

Working in the outdoors, leave no trace is a given. The No1 solution we use is not for everyone, its what ever works for you and yours.
Every piece of land Is owned by someone..So the moral is unless you have permission to leave your waste (No 2s) on their land take it home with you and flush it down your own toilet. Oh and don’t forget to wear your marigolds.....

Every piece of land Is owned by someone..So the moral is unless you have permission to leave your waste (No 2s) on their land take it home with you and flush it down your own toilet. Oh and don’t forget to wear your marigolds.....
Nit an issue for us we already follow “leave no trace “ which means
!https://lnt.org/why/7-principles/
Too many people people come up here to to popular places and dont even attempt to bury their poo, in places like Glen Etive its like a jobby assault course on any path just off the road leading up the hill as we found recently !! Its not a laughing matter !

Nit an issue for us we already follow “leave no trace “ which means
!https://lnt.org/why/7-principles/
Too many people people come up here to to popular places and dont even attempt to bury their poo, in places like Glen Etive its like a jobby assault course on any path just off the road leading up the hill as we found recently !! Its not a laughing matter !
There is a place in Aragón we pass on the way south and from the road it looks stunning. But when you stop the smell is excruciating. There’s crap everywhere and completely littered with tissue. Needless to say it’s not on our top ten list of picnic areas to stop in Spain. I can understand that if you are desperate you have to go but right next to a picnic area..come on....

There is a place in Aragón we pass on the way south and from the road it looks stunning. But when you stop the smell is excruciating. There’s crap everywhere and completely littered with tissue. Needless to say it’s not on our top ten list of picnic areas to stop in Spain. I can understand that if you are desperate you have to go but right next to a picnic area..come on....
Indeed why places get banned, locals get fed up and rightly so. The forestry carpark on loch Linnhe before Fort William was closed because of human waste issues, now no one can use it, locked up.

A shee wee is a game changer for females, especially in tick and Adder season in the outdoors.
Shewees are only good if you don’t have high volume wees and you don’t wee too fast.

Last edited:
You are now going into territory I know absolutely nothing about...Lol.
Pete, imagine yourself on the ale all night and having to pee through a drinking straw! (The actual shewee isn’t as narrow as a drinking straw, but the analogy will help you see what I mean). ;)

Little Granddaughters at a festival last weekend wouldn’t use the portaloos and both needed a poo so put some loo roll to line the bowl of the Thetford 335 and green chemical in the tank. Flushed well and the bowl was clean. All emptied easily into the Elsan tank next morning, no problem.

Luckily the loo was in a loo/shower tent as the littlest princess smells like a farmyard when she goes. we heard the people in the tent next door laughing their heads off when she shouted at the top of her voice, “I’VE FINISHED! I NEED A GROWN UP!”

Pete, imagine yourself on the ale all night and having to pee through a drinking straw! (The actual shewee isn’t as narrow as a drinking straw, but the analogy will help you see what I mean). ;)
The next worst thing is pee bottle capacity anxiety, we have 5 litres in 3 bottles available for those nights when its midge Armageddon outside :thumb