Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Porta Potti: a good idea or not?

I just had a look at the website, it does look quite good (apart from the price) however I have a few questions you might be able to answer as a confirmed user please.

1. Does the poo lid need replacing/removing each time?
2. Same for the pee lid?
2. Will it fit inside my Dunelm loo ottoman?
3. I assume that regardless of answer to Q1/2 it will need the lids on whilst driving.
4. Regarding smells I thought composting toilets need time for anerobic action to occur.... but is this not simply a pile of poo in a bag?

Direct question I know, but this is a toilet thread :)

Edit: just had another look, it seems like the 'Lite' version would suit, and I have read the bit about the litter so assume Q4 above no longer relevant

1. No
2. No
3. Replaces porta potti under kitchen sink in my cali, dimensions available on website
4. No smells, you dispose as soon you come near a bin
One disadvantage: no level indicator on liquid container, do not forget to empty.

We bought our Van in Covid times and therefore many places once opened would only accept you if you had your own facilites.

This led me into buying these items and it would allow us to be completely self contained (as long as there was somewhere to empty the toilet and fill water).

Thetford 335 (comes with a good sealable bag to store it in and fits under rear parcel shelf)

Further - we used to use that stinky horrible Aqua Chem Blue/Red liquid for our toilet - but it is horrible smelling and not good for the environment.

I subsequently found this - Elsan Organic Toilet Fluid - it smells (well nice - but it's toilet liquid) but more importantly it's organic (can go down normal toilets) and it works the same as the nasty stuff. And yes it has been tested fully by ourselves... and yes it does break down everything.

Paper / wipes go in disposable sealable bags (so not in the toilet) like these

Then I bought these items for showering:

Ridge monkey 15L water carrier

USB Shower (we chose this one and it's great but it's gone way up in price) - one pot of hot water per fill up in the Ridge Monkey and we had nice warm showers.

And it's all setup in this amazing pop up tent...

Ozark Trail 2 Room Shower tent - you can find this on eBay with international shipping but it's a lot more expensive. Honestly though it's perfect, its really compact too when bagged up. It unfolds in seconds and importantly fits lengthways in the boot against the cupboards into the ski part of the bench seat.

PXL_20210825_122910124.jpg

Scotland 2021

Last edited:
Chemical toilets are the past, composting toilets better alternativ. No liquids, no chemicals, easier to dispose, less maintenance. We replaced porta potti with trobolo wandago, much more comfortable.
Out of interest @Roger Boeken , how and where do you dispose of the contents?

We bought our Van in Covid times and therefore many places once opened would only accept you if you had your own facilites.

This led me into buying these items and it would allow us to be completely self contained (as long as there was somewhere to empty the toilet and fill water).

Thetford 335 (comes with a good sealable bag to store it in and fits under rear parcel shelf)

Further - we used to use that stinky horrible Aqua Chem Blue/Red liquid for our toilet - but it is horrible smelling and not good for the environment.

I subsequently found this - Elsan Organic Toilet Fluid - it smells (well nice - but it's toilet liquid) but more importantly it's organic (can go down normal toilets) and it works the same as the nasty stuff. And yes it has been tested fully by ourselves... and yes it does break down everything.

Paper / wipes go in disposable sealable bags (so not in the toilet) like these

Then I bought these items for showering:

Ridge monkey 15L water carrier

USB Shower (we chose this one and it's great but it's gone way up in price) - one pot of hot water per fill up in the Ridge Monkey and we had nice warm showers.

And it's all setup in this amazing pop up tent...

Ozark Trail 2 Room Shower tent - you can find this on eBay with international shipping but it's a lot more expensive. Honestly though it's perfect, its really compact too when bagged up. It unfolds in seconds and importantly fits lengthways in the boot against the cupboards into the ski part of the bench seat.

View attachment 107320

Scotland 2021
But why not put the paper in the loo? It’s only pulped wood and does no harm to either the loo or the environment. Tbh I think placing used loo paper in a separate bag would be quite off putting :Depressed

A truly emergency loo, Bog in a Bag. Easily stored, easily erected, easily disposed of.
Screenshot_20230416_101020_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Out of interest @Roger Boeken , how and where do you dispose of the contents?
Any public bin can be used for nr2. Any bin for compostable material can also be used. Nr1 in public toilet or sewer or nature (if diluted with water it serves as a fertilizer).It all depends on the situation .. But much more possibilities than a chemical toilet. We tried the 1+2 in 1 bag solution also, but you need chemicals to solidify the liquid and bags get heavy and big and you also need to get rid of them in an larger bin.

But why not put the paper in the loo? It’s only pulped wood and does no harm to either the loo or the environment. Tbh I think placing used loo paper in a separate bag would be quite off putting :Depressed
No problem for us, but also found it makes emptying it quicker and easier, as it is just liquid and you don't get any paper stuck in the toilet when you empty it. Great for a quick empty in a public toilet with no need to rinse it out or pull out anything.

Anyway I'm sure everyone has their own ideas but that is what works for us!

No problem for us, but also found it makes emptying it quicker and easier, as it is just liquid and you don't get any paper stuck in the toilet when you empty it. Great for a quick empty in a public toilet with no need to rinse it out or pull out anything.

Anyway I'm sure everyone has their own ideas but that is what works for us!
OK :) as a matter of interest we have found that (cheap) loo paper breaks down to nothing when using the non bio pods…… just a slurry of liquid….. if that is any new info for you. Certainly never had an issue in the last 10 years (well tell a lie, we did when we used that green Elsan stuff :rolleyes: ) Any way….happy pooing:D

We've been considering the 'loo' options and off the back of this thread, ordered a 335 from leisureshopdirect, £99.99, received it the next day. Would have preferred to stay loyal and purchase from CampervanBits, £114.99, lost the will to live trying to find the discount code and saved approx a tenner (not to be sniffed at or poo pooed!)

We've been considering the 'loo' options and off the back of this thread, ordered a 335 from leisureshopdirect, £99.99, received it the next day. Would have preferred to stay loyal and purchase from CampervanBits, £114.99, lost the will to live trying to find the discount code and saved approx a tenner (not to be sniffed at or poo pooed!)
My understanding is the discount code on the club shop is only 5%, so even with the saving would still have been more than the other one.

All codes are always here.

My understanding is the discount code on the club shop is only 5%, so even with the saving would still have been more than the other one.

All codes are always here.

Correct re the 5% discount. I did mail CampervanBits in the prescribed manner to enquire whether they could price match but did not receive a reply so went with leisureshopdirect which offer comprehensive stock and very efficient delivery. May well give them a chance for any other purchases.

Gone up in price, like most things! Paid £85 last September for mine from club shop.

I was looking yesterday & they were £91.99 on Amazon yesterday. Had one in my basket but decided to hold off as I'm not sure whether to get something else. Funnily enough today at Amazon they are £98.69.

I was looking yesterday & they were £91.99 on Amazon yesterday. Had one in my basket but decided to hold off as I'm not sure whether to get something else. Funnily enough today at Amazon they are £98.69.
Sun has come out, bank holiday / holiday season has started…so demand pricing has kicked in. Try checking the price very late at night or clearing the cache / cookies on your internet browser.