Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Haggling!?

C

cdjpb

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

I hate haggling when buying a new car at the best of times, but with a vehicle like the California is there any point asking the dealer for a discount? Or do the California's just sell themselves at full price and there's no wiggle room on price at all?

Thanks, Jonathan

Definitely worth haggling,

Although being a shy, sheltering wallflower I prefer to do it by email first, " this is what I want, how much?" ...

Only then do I timidly indulge in eyeball contact with a tentative "bloody rip off! Knock another thousand off and I'll sign now"..... eyes lowered of course ...

Ha, that sounds like me too! That's exactly why I bought my current car via Car Wow as the haggling is done online before you visit the dealer!

Ok, the big deal about buying a Cali is that you don't give a stuff where it comes from, in fact, the further away the better, as it's just a dream t o drive home and if you do it via Istanbul then stopping off at a few interesting places on the way....

So, an email. This is the spec ..... , big mail drop, half of them will not reply anyway, get the competitive best prices and do the rounds. That's what I did although sadly the guy who came up trumps was only 36 miles away so I had to come home via Bristol instead. I saw the vehicle, talked about the offered discount, offered a bit less and 10 minutes later signed the order.

It's the best part of buying a car, you've got to haggle to minimise the loss! If you phone enough dealers, you'll always find a dealer wanting a deal to meet sales targets. Nearer the end of the quarters are normally best. (Sept / Dec / March & Jun)

There are some dealers who will discount - up to 8%, so don't pay book price.
Plenty of other threads on discounts.

"Shy bairns" - if you don't ask you'll never get one.

Everything has a margin :thumb

It's the best part of buying a car, you've got to haggle to minimise the loss! If you phone enough dealers, you'll always find a dealer wanting a deal to meet sales targets. Nearer the end of the quarters are normally best. (Sept / Dec / March & Jun)

agree ,end off quarter tactically the best time

Hi there, i spoke with three different dealers before placing my order with Carrs in Exeter (I'm based near Bournemouth). One of the main reasons for choosing them was because the chap i dealt with (Nick) new his stuff, was really helpful and quick to come back to my queries/alterations, and lastly he offered a great discount before i even asked... He made the process so easy.

I confirmed my order and paid a deposit last week

Yep Nick is really good I dealt with him when buying my T6 Transporter.
I was able to get it much cheaper through a leasing company unfortunately for them.
Would've definitely bought from them otherwise!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Currently considering options. My current vehicle spec is now 61k with a 6% discount. I wasn't sure where the "great" was in the discount offer and sadly the stand-in salesman got a bit of a blunt response once I worked the figures out.

Hi there, i spoke with three different dealers before placing my order with Carrs in Exeter (I'm based near Bournemouth). One of the main reasons for choosing them was because the chap i dealt with (Nick) new his stuff, was really helpful and quick to come back to my queries/alterations, and lastly he offered a great discount before i even asked... He made the process so easy.

I confirmed my order and paid a deposit last week
That's interesting. i contacted Carrs in Exeter and Breeze in Bournemouth and both wouldn't entertain a discount. In fact Breeze told me there was hardly any margin in these vans. I went to SMG in Tonbridge in the end. A fair drive but worth it as Laine there knew his product and am very happy with my purchase from him.

Breeze is my local dealer. Not a good start 3 years ago and not a good start on Tuesday.

Back