Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Second hand Coast for sale

Im faced with the awful task of making people redundant & timing isnt great having a brand new Cali sat at work! So I may just get a disguise plate! ? Ive had a play on DVLA Direct but not too sure about that either as never been a fan of personal plates!

Difficult - I run building projects & amongst the workforce 99% of which drive a van of some sort, the cali is seen as a nice high spec van & is accepted as not being too flash.

From what Ive seen, people in general seem to think it is just a van & don't associate it with the prices paid. They would equate it more to you turning up in a new Ford Fiesta rather than a 7 Series BMW

It works with clients as well, top end BMW/Porsche etc - you must be ripping them off, Cali = smart van so acceptable.

Difficult - I run building projects & amongst the workforce 99% of which drive a van of some sort, the cali is seen as a nice high spec van & is accepted as not being too flash.

From what Ive seen, people in general seem to think it is just a van & don't associate it with the prices paid. They would equate it more to you turning up in a new Ford Fiesta rather than a 7 Series BMW

It works with clients as well, top end BMW/Porsche etc - you must be ripping them off, Cali = smart van so acceptable.
Yes it does require some thought I feel which is also why I didnt mind too much to have mine delayed to a Build Week 11 although obviously I mind about the possible tax duty!!
Its in the building industry so could get away with the Van comparison - they know Im not flash having driven a Polo for near on 20 years & Im not going for the bling type of look but more the retro!
Just morally doesnt sit too right alongside redundancies!

Im faced with the awful task of making people redundant & timing isnt great having a brand new Cali sat at work! So I may just get a disguise plate! ? Ive had a play on DVLA Direct but not too sure about that either as never been a fan of personal plates!
I've never ever had a new car before but given the asking prices of nearly new (hence this thread) a new one is a no brainer. A new plate feels very show offy which i'm not comfortable with either, I'm also conscious of the economic climate, I've been put at risk of redundancy myself but I've got money aside for the Cali and I'm having it :)

Last edited:
I've never ever had a new car before but given the asking prices of nearly new (hence this thread) a new one is a no brainer. A new plate feels very show offy which i'm not confortable with either, I'm also conscious of the economic climate, I've been put at risk of redundancy myself but I've got money aside for the Cali and I'm having it :)
My sentiments exactly Ladymuck re the no brainer old or new.
If I could find an older automatic I would be tempted but theyre all manual!
Tricky isnt it - Ive never had brand new either & I feel guilty about my choice at this current time - stupid I know but a habit of a lifetime!
Haha you go for it - your kids will have a ball :thumb

I think we are going to have to go for seat covers sooner rather than later the fabric isn't as dark as i hoped (from pics I've seen) with a 4 and 7 year old it may have to take priority over a ridge monkey !
As for reg plates, I'm not keen on having 70 or 71 plate either so might have a look at a cheap personal plate but it's not something I want to spend at lot on
Presume typo - 70 or 71 should be 70 or 21 (coming of age).

Seems a bit harsh to criticise a private seller without mentioning theres a dealer advertising the same spec, same colour, same mileage, same age, same number of owners van, for £7k more. In comparison the private one is a bargain.
I think the original poster was discussing the market, not the individual!

New Cali with a private plate = Look at that new Cali with a private plate, they
must be doing well. :)

New Cali with a private plate = Look at that new Cali with a private plate, they
must be doing well. :)
Not really! The rule is that you can’t put a plate on a car that is “newer” than the car. Nothing preventing an owner putting a meaningless plate from a few years ago on, just to make the car look older.

There are some fun plates still available on the DVLA site. They are still several hundred £ but don’t carry any premium over plainer plates. I got VW04 BED which sets the sort of tone and fun I wanted and won me a small reduction in insurance premium when added to my (at the time) 17 plate Ocean.

There are some fun plates still available on the DVLA site. They are still several hundred £ but don’t carry any premium over plainer plates. I got VW04 BED which sets the sort of tone and fun I wanted and won me a small reduction in insurance premium when added to my (at the time) 17 plate Ocean.
Completely agree

Assuming JH are in your initials, do any of these work? Appreciate that the 70 defeats the object but typically, they are the cheapest at £399!

DA8B4260-EAA3-4320-A02C-4560D5A25457.png

DFA6033F-6D11-4601-B1C3-A14CBAD9B9EE.png

85A5A7B9-2FCB-480F-BD50-D36ADB70D101.png

I think we are going to have to go for seat covers sooner rather than later the fabric isn't as dark as i hoped (from pics I've seen) with a 4 and 7 year old it may have to take priority over a ridge monkey !
As for reg plates, I'm not keen on having 70 or 71 plate either so might have a look at a cheap personal plate but it's not something I want to spend at lot on
Never been into personalised plates, but since the van is probably my last new purchase and my daily runaround I gave in and thought what the hell. Picked a reg from DVLA for £250 contains T6.1DUB.... just need a van now.
Yours is sat there.

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 07.40.14.png

Thats interesting you got a small reduction in premium - why was that?

Thats interesting you got a small reduction in premium - why was that?
I’m not sure why. It was with LV. At the time the Ocean was just less than 12 moths old, already insured with them. I rang expecting an admin fee to change to *private” plate, and instead they sent me a £20 refund for the part year.
My best guess is that it made the van look older, so less likely to be a theft target to amateur thieves.

With the particular van at the start of the thread I guess it's on finance, and the seller needs to get that price in order to clear what's owing on the van. It's not unusual to see this kind of optimistic pricing on used vehicles from private sellers where they want to sell but are in negative equity at the trade or even market price.

However, it's also not unusual to see nearly new vehicles changing hands at list price or even above if there's strong demand from people wanting to jump the waiting list. This is more common with supercars of course, but it's not impossible with a camper too.

Yes it does require some thought I feel which is also why I didnt mind too much to have mine delayed to a Build Week 11 although obviously I mind about the possible tax duty!!
Its in the building industry so could get away with the Van comparison - they know Im not flash having driven a Polo for near on 20 years & Im not going for the bling type of look but more the retro!
Just morally doesnt sit too right alongside redundancies!
Week 11 build? That's March ? When/where did you order ?

Never been into personalised plates, but since the van is probably my last new purchase and my daily runaround I gave in and thought what the hell. Picked a reg from DVLA for £250 contains T6.1DUB.... just need a van now.
Yours is sat there.

View attachment 68508
Cool reg ! Had a quick look this morning and seen some pretty plain ones for £250 even some with Cal in or VW

It was a provisional build slot of week 11 2021 confirmed by VW chat

I know we are well off the original topic here, but continuing the diversion, there are plenty of 51EEP (sleep) plates available, you might get your initials in front, or a double meaning like...
Screenshot_20201030_140710.jpg
VW own VW51 EEP.

I know we are well off the original topic here, but continuing the diversion, there are plenty of 51EEP (sleep) plates available, you might get your initials in front, or a double meaning like...
View attachment 68521
VW own VW51 EEP.
Thats a good one - I think Im definitely going to acquire one once I know for sure about the import duty as Id rather not have a 70 or 21 plate - I dont think I will get my initials either as not a personal plate lover but something like youve posted is appealing thank you :happy