Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thinking of going two tone - wrap vs respray?

Blue juice, possibly going down the wrapped route, could you give me some feed back on the wrap on your van, wear fading, scuffs, scratches etc
I sold my Beach yesterday (picking up a Ocean tomorrow), we were very happy with the wrap and how its held up. No signs at all of edges wearing. Indeed it protected the body work when we received a couple of car park dings. I couple of very minor (have to look at the body work at a certain angle in good lighting!) and you can see a couple of VERY light scratches, probably from branches etc, but again very hard wearing. We ordered our new cali in two tone, if we didn't, I would go for the wrap again.

I sold my Beach yesterday (picking up a Ocean tomorrow), we were very happy with the wrap and how its held up. No signs at all of edges wearing. Indeed it protected the body work when we received a couple of car park dings. I couple of very minor (have to look at the body work at a certain angle in good lighting!) and you can see a couple of VERY light scratches, probably from branches etc, but again very hard wearing. We ordered our new cali in two tone, if we didn't, I would go for the wrap again.

Thanks Blue Juice

Any info on how much a proper bottom half respray costs, i.e. with the front and rear bumper and bits taken off, not just masked out?

I think you would be looking at very least 2 to 3 grand

I would consider a wrap. A friend of mine run a small fleet of Caddy Van for his business and he used to get the wrapped with this company logo on. Once he finished with the vans he removed the wrap and the paint work was like new. So they always got a good resell price on them.

With a wrap I'm worried that as we do alot of very narrow lane driving, we could easily get branch damage that wouldn't polish out.

With a wrap I'm worried that as we do alot of very narrow lane driving, we could easily get branch damage that wouldn't polish out.
The best quality wraps (3M, Avery) quote that they are self repairing in warm weather,
I'm booked in for an Avery colorflow halfwrap on 15th June,
I too tend to go down narrow lanes and will soon find out the durability of having a Wrap

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

My London Taxi has wraps applied every month with adverts on, when I resell once the adhesive is cleaned off with panel wipes, it is like new. Dont worry. Its Fablon really

if I have an all over wrap I have to notify DVLA so the V5 shows multi colour, half body (called supersides) notification not required.

Just worried that a wrap will make me even more precious about using the van as it should be, as a go anywhere vehicle, as I know with paint, the odd branch mark can be polished out.
Had a quote for £1368 inc vat from a spray shop for a proper bottom half respray, Indium Grey over silver top, just like VW sell in Europe. My disdain for VW rises to the surface again. Why are we only offered a two tone colours using a a basic white van?
The spray shop that I have got the quote from, I know and trust to do a good job, having dealt with them for over 40 years. So so if it happens, I think that's the way I shall go.

Hi Martin, thanks for taking the time to post (and include some pics).

Your van looks brilliant and that blue really gives it a camper look.

Definitely boosted my confidence that we're doing the right thing.

The factory two tone colours are a shade or two darker than we wanted. Might have gone for white (or silver) and Acapulco Blue but that wasn't an option.

The Acapulco is still in the mix but to be honest I think we will go VW Neptune Blue. We love the colour, a friend had an old van in Neptune many years ago and I swore I'd have one someday, and it's a 1973 colour (my 45th birthday this week).

Steve
I know this is an old thread but would love to know what you decided to do? Respray/wrap/ nothing? In the same situation and would love to see pictures or hear about what you did? Love the two tone look:)

One advantage of a wrap is that the paintwork underneath is protected from chips etc.
Any ‘wrappers’ recommended?
Protected against "chips" not so sure the film is very thin. Would need paint protection film on top to gaurd against chips. Wrap does protect paint underneath from scuffs and light scratches caused by brushing against hedgerows. Easy done if holidaying in Cornwall or Devon.

Good point. I hadn't realised it's only the exterior that's resprayed until I read the 'show us your two tone thread' yesterday.

Happy that I've found a body shop that will do a good job, going to use Brin Jones in Bristol, they did the respray on Wrinkly Ninjas white/turquoise van which they were really happy with.

Just waiting to finalise quotes on two different colour options (one an old T2 flat colour and one a Cali metallic).

I was a bit worried that some people whose opinions I value wouldn't buy a resprayed van. However, I am confident I can mitigate that risk by making sure the job is done properly, that I can evidence the reason for doing it, and by making the van look special. Plan to keep it for 5 years + should also help.

Thanks to everyone for commenting, I think the majority view was don't do it or go for a wrap...but just going to ignore you all anyway :)

This has made me go through a detailed thought process and consider all the the pros and cons, which is what I wanted.

Might be a little while before it gets done but will post pics to see what everyone thinks of it!!!

Steve
I would recommend Brin Jones in Bristol. He has done a few jobs for me and it is always good.
That said wrapping is worth considering it does protect against minor stone chips and minor scratches. A lot of companies wrap there vans and I know one company that puts there vans into the auctions just after the wrap has been removed and the get a good price because the paintwork is so good.

Back