Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Have you been to Orkney ?

P

Paul Roe

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Thinking of doing scotland next year for a couple of weeks
And was going to go over to Orkney, has anyone done that ?
and what ferry did you take ?
thanks, in advance

Only ever been in and out via chopper. A truly depressing looking place.

If you are interested in the neolithic and viking stuff it is wonderful in all weather - but better if the sun is shining. May and June are probably the most likely to be good. If you just want scenery and beaches stick to the west coast mainland and save yourself the ferry fare.
We prefer the catamaran from Gills Bay to St Mary's - it's just a short drive then to the large camp site ( Pickaquoy) in Kirkwall which is excellent and not expensive. There are plenty of good places to eat in Kirkwall and Stromness, and a few good shops. The Italian Chapel is worth seeing, and the museum in Kirkwall.

Cheers

They prefer tinned salmon to catching their own!
Tesco is 5 minutes from the camp site.

28BE9F16-D18F-41A4-ABA0-1A5466808BC7.jpeg I've been twice - and I must declare that it was sunny on both occasions. I found it to be a magical place and well worth the effort to get there. The archaeology is amazing (maybe don't go if that's of little interest), there are some amazing bays - with well looked after clean public toilets open 24/7 - for wild camping. We're not very brave when it comes to wild camping but the people on these islands are so friendly we had no problem with going for it. I don't know anyone who's been and regretted it.

I should say our last visit was in 2008, but I doubt that it's changed much.