Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Headlight deflector locations please

B

BristolCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I intend to use black insulating tape as headlight deflectors on my T6 Ocean with H7’s. Please could someone who has purchased a set of deflectors share the diagram that shows where you place them?

Unless anyone has another solution for travelling to France 3-6 times a year and not wanting to faff about with the expense or adhesives of multiple deflectors?

I currently do nothing and feel a little self conscious that I may be dazzling a little even though I don’t get flashed.

Thanks in advance.

I intend to use black insulating tape as headlight deflectors on my T6 Ocean with H7’s. Please could someone who has purchased a set of deflectors share the diagram that shows where you place them?

Unless anyone has another solution for travelling to France 3-6 times a year and not wanting to faff about with the expense or adhesives of multiple deflectors?

I currently do nothing and feel a little self conscious that I may be dazzling a little even though I don’t get flashed.

Thanks in advance.
Screenshot_20221120-072957.png

Hope the below pic helps. It works perfect. Entering Austria, the van was closely checked out by the Austrian police and they were amused at this :thumb

I have a confession to make :eek: we did buy a set of Eurolites for our recent trip to France but carried them in the van ‘ready to fit’ in case a Gendarme asked? Never drove in the dark and never challenged but we felt weirdly OK about:D

Thanks in advance.
Surely that is no longer needed as modern lights switch to driving in the right in the light settings menu.

Surely that is no longer needed as modern lights switch to driving in the right in the light settings menu.

Depends on what lights your van has.

T5 - candles just trim the wick
T5.1 Halogen = stickers required
T6 LED - settings on the computer
T5.1 Xenon - Dealer adjustment required
T6.1 LED - Do nothing
T6.1 Halogen - stickers needed

We use the below, takes a few seconds to fit. (And they have never fallen off!). They have a marking on them that shows you where to put the stickers:

Thanks @Ch1pbutty. I am trying to avoid solving every problem with an accessory at the moment as I found it got out of hand. The shapes of the covers are interesting though and they look similar to the ones fashioned on the red van above.

Thanks in advance.
If it helps,
I decided to make or create a pair out of black 50m pvc tape.
I backed the camper around 6 feet away from internal garage wall. Switched lights on. You will see the offending bit that possibly dazzles oncoming traffic. (It’s the slopey bit that sticks up on left top of beam shown on the wall for each light)
I mounted a piece of tape around 25mm x 40mm on an opened wire coat hanger. i then slid that over the light unit until I saw the offending area of dazzle shown on the wall disappear. Now you have seen how it vanishes you can trim the mask on end of wire so it’s just big enough to do the job.
(I found the final trimmed tape was quite small but did the job)
you now have the shape and precise location of where to put the tape.

hope it helps.

ps, wire coat hangers are getting quite rare now but one of the best tools tools ever invented.

The cheapest insulating tape is best. I still use yellow as a nod to the days of coloured headlights in France.
Park your van about 2m/6ft back from any light-coloured wall or garage door. Modern van lights will be bright enough even in daylight. Using cardboard and sellotape blank off one headlight at a time and using bits of cardboard blank off areas of the other light until you get rid of the kick-up pedestrian spotter. Mark the headlamp with a permanent fine-point marker and mask with tape. Repeat for the other lamp.
As a belt-and-braces: park on a level roadway, turn on lights, don sunglasses and adopt an oncoming left-hand driver position to view the lights. (Twitching net curtain observers will follow your every move.) Cheap insulation tape unpeels very easily after your trip. Residue can be removed with methylated spirit rather than 'thinners' which can dissolve the plastic lamp casing or lens.

Having discussed this at length with our dealer recently he informs me that modern vehicles do not shift the beam to the left when you dip but just lower it. I don't know if anyone can confirm this but I did not get flashed once on a recent visit to France in my 20 reg GC and having studied the beam on my Golf of the same era it would appear to be the case. It would also explain why there seems to be an increased amount of times I am dazzled by other vehicles on dip in this country.

I have a confession to make :eek: we did buy a set of Eurolites for our recent trip to France but carried them in the van ‘ready to fit’ in case a Gendarme asked? Never drove in the dark and never challenged but we felt weirdly OK about:D
Snap - back in the UK, still have them in sealed pack. We did drive in the dark but no one flashed us.

Depends on what lights your van has.

T5 - candles just trim the wick
T5.1 Halogen = stickers required
T6 LED - settings on the computer
T5.1 Xenon - Dealer adjustment required
T6.1 LED - Do nothing
T6.1 Halogen - stickers needed
Wow - so clear. Thanks Andy!

Back