Heat pump and Solar at home anyone?

We have just had a new 5 kW heat pump and all new radiators installed at home...... lovin it, lovin it, lovin it!

Also a mahoosive 7.5 kW solar array on the roof ......... lovin that too!

Now we can keep warm for tuppence and sell all the excess leccy to the grid :thumb

Anyone else gone down the green energy route? :)
Ya! I have solar (Renogy fixed and flexi panels, self installed) and a lithium (LiFePO4) solar generator plus extra battery bank, plus a Tesla with an Ohme home 7 kWh charger on an Octopus Energy intelligent tariff.

This means I get the 11pm - 5am nightly cost of just 7.5p per kWh, (under 2ppm to run the Tesla Model Y!) plus I can charge the battery bank overnight in the winter months when we use more than the solar produces. I have a heat pump too - in the Tesla haha, and love being able to heat the interior and even seats and steering wheel before getting in! Amazing bits of kit.

The next step is to have one for the home to replace the current Ideal Combi 30 gas boiler, however we spend only around £75 per month on gas in winter, including the standing charge, so it's hard to justify the outlay. Pleased you're enjoying it.

So then..... Solar is an easy thing to understand and in the grand scheme of things probably the most 'bangs per buck'. In our case we opted for an array twice the 'standard' size to maximise output in the leaner winter months and provide an excess in the summer. We just had our export approved last weekend and since then have exported 88 kW (£13.20) and imported 28 kW £6.16) so even allowing for standing charge at 66p/day we are still £2.20 up :thumb

When the spring/summer comes we anticipate exporting up to 800 kW/month.

Now as for Heat pumps, yes this is a different ball game altogether ...... in our case we recently bought a bungalow with dodgy old oil boiler and radiators. We had all new plumbing and radiators fitted to suit the low flow temperature of 40c at outside temperature of -3c. Since commissioning, the heating circuit has been on 24/7 and the average radiator temperature has been around 26c (!) and the room temperature around 20c. OK it has been mild recently but we have had chilly nights. The property has been super comfy and we have plenty of hot water...... all for an average of 3.5 kW per day. Actually the heat pump has used 64 kW electricity over 18 days and output 326 kW of heat :thumb

At the moment we have held back on batteries because the cost/performance/return is not good enough. I will review the situation after 12 months but expect to have either very low or zero energy costs.

For anyone who is inclined towards nerd/geek level interest in heat pumps you can have a look at this website and see what people are achieving (including me)

How old is your house?

We may be moving from a 2016 new build property to a 1940's house considering a solar, a battery storage. Not sold on the heat pump yet.
Late 70's detached bungalow

Solar panels and battery fitted, best thung since sliced bread. End ofNovember through to early February is a bit dull but with the battery buy in chaep between hours 02:00 and 04:00 during these months. Otherwise self sufficient on electric with surplus going to grid.

At the moment we have held back on batteries because the cost/performance/return is not good enough. I will review the situation after 12 months but expect to have either very low or zero energy costs.

This is the benefit of batteries - solar that I would normally export now goes back into the batteries ..... Data extract is from Mid Sept 2022 to now.

Grid to Home is mostly the car charging

Screenshot 2024-10-19 212546.png

Back