Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heating question

O

oliver100

VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Just placed an order for a new GC 600 to replace our much loved t6.1 cali ocean as we need more space. I have researched a fair bit and have a (possibly stupid!) question regarding the heating. We have selected the following heating options:

YHC - Heating system for water and interior powered by mains electricity or diesel.
9M5 - Additional Engine Heater

My question is does the truma diesel heater work with an empty water tank, I appreciate the water heater wont but want to make sure we can still have the heat on in the winter running off the leisure battery when we use it predominantly as a day van like our current ocean but with the water drained down so not to mess around emptying it constantly to avoid frost damage. I appreciate there is the 7VL additional diesel heater option which is the same as our current ocean with a control panel in the roof but it seems daft to have 2 sperate diesel heaters in the van!

Just placed an order for a new GC 600 to replace our much loved t6.1 cali ocean as we need more space. I have researched a fair bit and have a (possibly stupid!) question regarding the heating. We have selected the following heating options:

YHC - Heating system for water and interior powered by mains electricity or diesel.

My question is does the truma diesel heater work with an empty water tank, I appreciate the water heater wont but want to make sure we can still have the heat on in the winter running off the leisure battery when we use it predominantly as a day van like our current ocean but with the water drained down so not to mess around emptying it constantly to avoid frost damage. I appreciate there is the 7VL additional diesel heater option which is the same as our current ocean with a control panel in the roof but it seems daft to have 2 sperate diesel heaters in the van!
Yes it does work without water

Thanks for confirming, im probably one of the rare people who wish VW would have given the option of a GC without the wet room/hot water etc so basically a big version of our current ocean. We want to use it for more than just holidays as my kids race BMX so we travel the country most weekends and it will spend a lot of time on day van duties but I'm sure all these added luxuries will come in useful on longer trips.

If you choose the

"Water auxiliary heater - with programmable parking heater and remote control" which I think is the 7VL option you mention.

It gives you a completely independent diesel powered heater thats nothing to do with the trauma heating/hotwater set up. It works exactly the same way as the T6.1 parking heater & blows air out of the floor level vents between the front seats, & is operated by simple controls mounted in the overhead console.

Given the known problems with the normal heating/control panel set up this gives a completely independent means of heating the van which can only be a good thing. Another thing is that the 7VL system can work whilst the van is being driven, the standard van heater is ok for the front passengers but we found struggled to keep the rear seat area warm when it was freezing outside.

If you choose the

"Water auxiliary heater - with programmable parking heater and remote control" which I think is the 7VL option you mention.

It gives you a completely independent diesel powered heater thats nothing to do with the trauma heating/hotwater set up. It works exactly the same way as the T6.1 parking heater & blows air out of the floor level vents between the front seats, & is operated by simple controls mounted in the overhead console.

Given the known problems with the normal heating/control panel set up this gives a completely independent means of heating the van which can only be a good thing. Another thing is that the 7VL system can work whilst the van is being driven, the standard van heater is ok for the front passengers but we found struggled to keep the rear seat area warm when it was freezing outside.
I had considered the 7vl but wanted to try and keep the costs and weight down as much as possible especially with being restricted to 3.5t due to my licence. I'm living in hope that they have applied some updates to the latest vehicles that will overcome some of the documented shortcomings with the heating cutting out but if not I could always disconnect the truma unit from the gc camping control panel as I'm told that makes it reliable. Laughable really on Vw's part that I'm even considering hacking around the electrics of a vehicle that isn't even built because I'm anticipating they still haven't fixed a problem that been well documented for 3 years!

I had considered the 7vl but wanted to try and keep the costs and weight down as much as possible especially with being restricted to 3.5t due to my licence. I'm living in hope that they have applied some updates to the latest vehicles that will overcome some of the documented shortcomings with the heating cutting out but if not I could always disconnect the truma unit from the gc camping control panel as I'm told that makes it reliable. Laughable really on Vw's part that I'm even considering hacking around the electrics of a vehicle that isn't even built because I'm anticipating they still haven't fixed a problem that been well documented for 3 years!
Having owned a GC600 7VL would actually be one of the first things to specify if I was ordering again.

You are already saving weight by going for the Diesel heating, as you can get away with using a 907 gas cylinder from your T6.1 as it will only be supplying the hob.

i am my 680 have extra heater is control buttons high my head drive area. extra operation small key remote come also when is buy.
Is operation cease 30 minutes only operartion. make warm air comes only front driving glass area and cannot change where is air arrive. Is make steam window go away before drive cold morning.
Is not very good - is better you are buy electric small carry heater put floor if is you main heater not functions. And if is not land power connection wearing good wool cloths is best situation i am disocver.

You can also activate the 7VL heater option by mobile phone VW We Connect app remotely as well as short range key fob and programmable timer on roof console

Back