Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grand California 680 - Build DELAY!

Hello Mike,
Just found out my GC is onboard the ship heading for Port Sheerness.
I've just ordered the last few accessories.
Hi Zephyr
What accessories are worth ordering. I have already bought a vango awning in January. Has not arrived yet. Do you also know your build week was?

Hello, Alan.
I am so sorry about the delay in replying: we had given up on our delivery and we’re prolonging the decision on whether to cancel it.
The good news though: having thrown caution to the wind , we decided to wait and have just been told that our 680 is waiting dockside in Germany.
It looks like we’ll be taking delivery mid-June, spec as originally ordered.

View attachment 77510
Hello Ian,
Nice to hear from you again. It's been a frustrating time since ordering on 1st December.
The good news is that we stuck to our original specification and have just heard from the dealer that it is in the UK. It should be ready for collection within the next couple of weeks. Apparently it takes longer to get from Sheerness to the dealer than it does to get from Emden to Sheerness (less than 24 hours). Once it's on the ship, if you are really keen to find out, my wife discovered you can track the vessel on www.vesselfinder.com.
It's been a long wait but I'm really glad we stuck with the original spec. Just looking forward to getting on the road.
I am sure that yours will soon be here. Possibly sooner than you think!
Let me know how things work out for you.
Alan

Hello Ian,
Nice to hear from you again. It's been a frustrating time since ordering on 1st December.
The good news is that we stuck to our original specification and have just heard from the dealer that it is in the UK. It should be ready for collection within the next couple of weeks. Apparently it takes longer to get from Sheerness to the dealer than it does to get from Emden to Sheerness (less than 24 hours). Once it's on the ship, if you are really keen to find out, my wife discovered you can track the vessel on www.vesselfinder.com.
It's been a long wait but I'm really glad we stuck with the original spec. Just looking forward to getting on the road.
I am sure that yours will soon be here. Possibly sooner than you think!
Let me know how things work out for you.
Alan
Yes, we are also glad we decided to stay with the original order. Thank you for the ship tracker and we'll let you know!
Ian

That's great news. I would have a check list ready to inspect your van when you collect it. I am sure it should all be good, but just worth checking all the items. eg open close all the doors, gaps between bed mattresses , shower holder is in place etc.
Bendwg, do you know what week they started your build?
Morning Paddy, always good to have a checklist. There is no shower holder though. The gap in the main mattresses seems to be standard as I’ve checked other vans and they also have the same issues. As also Linda reported earlier.

However I will soon be emailing VW CC showing my disappointment as in my opinion it’s not fit for purpose.

Morning Paddy, always good to have a checklist. There is no shower holder though. The gap in the main mattresses seems to be standard as I’ve checked other vans and they also have the same issues. As also Linda reported earlier.

However I will soon be emailing VW CC showing my disappointment as in my opinion it’s not fit for purpose.
Keep us posted Jester, as I would refuse to accept the vehicle if it was not fit for purpose. Please supply details & photos when you get the time. Would be appreciated by all.

Well, having been told to expect a delayed delivery date of SEP21 (original order 01DEC20) we discovered today that our 680 has arrived at Sheerness much, MUCH earlier than we had expected and is waiting for a transporter to whisk her round to Crawley.
Having been caught off-guard, we're fairly confident we will have most of the finance in place (by REALLY digging down the back of those sofa cushions and eating only dust) but by 25JUN at earliest.
The order and build process has been a real eye-opener: I've never before experienced these alternating, brief bursts of adrenaline-filled, against the clock enthusiasm, followed suddenly by a seemingly long refractory-period of silence and disappointment (except when on intercontinental long-haul flights...) but I think a "VW delivery board-game", similar to Snakes&Ladders, could well be a hit in a few stockings this Christmas.
Nevertheless, how excited are we? Like I said before: very.
Very, VERY excited.
:cool::cool:

Well, having been told to expect a delayed delivery date of SEP21 (original order 01DEC20) we discovered today that our 680 has arrived at Sheerness much, MUCH earlier than we had expected and is waiting for a transporter to whisk her round to Crawley.
Having been caught off-guard, we're fairly confident we will have most of the finance in place (by REALLY digging down the back of those sofa cushions and eating only dust) but by 25JUN at earliest.
The order and build process has been a real eye-opener: I've never before experienced these alternating, brief bursts of adrenaline-filled, against the clock enthusiasm, followed suddenly by a seemingly long refractory-period of silence and disappointment (except when on intercontinental long-haul flights...) but I think a "VW delivery board-game", similar to Snakes&Ladders, could well be a hit in a few stockings this Christmas.
Nevertheless, how excited are we? Like I said before: very.
Very, VERY excited.
:cool::cool:
Happy days Ian, you had better start planning.

Been through the same experience. Ordered my 680 from Crawley 14th Jan. Got update, build starts 24th May. Might get it before Xmas. Please keep us posted on progress please. Also any issues. Good luck. Also going to see one in flesh today. Big buy without seeing one , crazy really.

Ok, just on our way back from seeing a 680. Happy with my order. 2 eletric folding bikes fit fine side by side. Front seats decline so fine for relaxing and watching TV at night. Table a little large, but need that when on my computer's working. Had a sit on the toilet and lots of room. No shower holder, but probably best as you can buy a sucker holder and place anywhere to suit.
Lots of storage, and I am sure lots of ideas on internet for fixing TV in bedroom and living area. Plastic sink a little naff, but does the job and easy to remove and clean. Would also have like to upgrade the seat material, but they do the job. Very functional campervan and easy to kerp clean. Extra leisure battery would have been beneficial, but I am going to get a large battery generator. Getting better & cheaper each month. Just put into outside mains socket and full power to all sockets when off grid. Hope mine arrives in 5 to 6 weeks as advised yesterday by VW.

Ok, just on our way back from seeing a 680. Happy with my order. 2 eletric folding bikes fit fine side by side. Front seats decline so fine for relaxing and watching TV at night. Table a little large, but need that when on my computer's working. Had a sit on the toilet and lots of room. No shower holder, but probably best as you can buy a sucker holder and place anywhere to suit.
Lots of storage, and I am sure lots of ideas on internet for fixing TV in bedroom and living area. Plastic sink a little naff, but does the job and easy to remove and clean. Would also have like to upgrade the seat material, but they do the job. Very functional campervan and easy to kerp clean. Extra leisure battery would have been beneficial, but I am going to get a large battery generator. Getting better & cheaper each month. Just put into outside mains socket and full power to all sockets when off grid. Hope mine arrives in 5 to 6 weeks as advised yesterday by VW.
Great news paddy, can’t remember if your getting the WiFi but have to say it’s on fire. 130Mbps really works so well and also at range.

Great News Ben! I hope you are delighted with your GC. Let us know how you get on with her. Any snags, tips or delights would great to hear about.
Alan

View attachment 77964
Picked mine up today. 250m trip home all was smooth and quiet. Will be out camping at the weekend.
Congrats Ben, I’m currently in the isle of Mull and all good, nice and quite smooth and no crashing fully loaded.

Have fun.

Will

Discovered. That VW have omitted the anti tow button. Located on The B pillar, as you would activate whilst on a ferry. Was on my 600. So the alarm was activated all the way across to Arran.

Anyone else have one on the recent GC?.

Discovered. That VW have omitted the anti tow button. Located on The B pillar, as you would activate whilst on a ferry. Was on my 600. So the alarm was activated all the way across to Arran.

Anyone else have one on the recent GC?.
Have you checked the Control Panel?
Said button on the T6. 1 also removed, now activated via the Control Panel.

Have you checked the Control Panel?
Said button on the T6. 1 also removed, now activated via the Control Panel.

On T6.1 a double press of the fob when locking has same effect as the old door pillar button & the Control Panel Activation.

On T6.1 a double press of the fob when locking has same effect as the old door pillar button & the Control Panel Activation.
Hasn't it always been like that. On my T5. 1, double press, No Safe lock, No Internal Alarm.

I don't know what yours does but my T5.1 using the door pillar button just turned off the sensors but still deadlocked the van, whereas double press was not deadlocked & sensors off.
So double press hasn't changed, but function of door pillar button has.

I don't know what yours does but my T5.1 using the door pillar button just turned off the sensors but still deadlocked the van, whereas double press was not deadlocked & sensors off.
So double press hasn't changed, but function of door pillar button has.
Hi,
I picked up my 680 a couple of weeks ago and thought the same but they have put it into the Infotainment System (radio, SatNav etc screen) in the centre console. VW have not updated the Owners Manual.

To all you new 680 owners. I'm hoping to collect my 680 next week and just wanted to clarify what to expect. Is there an attachment on the wall of the wet room for holding the shower head? Did you check all the gas, water and electrics, diesel heater, auxiliary heater, toilet during handover? Any tips on what to check out?

To all you new 680 owners. I'm hoping to collect my 680 next week and just wanted to clarify what to expect. Is there an attachment on the wall of the wet room for holding the shower head? Did you check all the gas, water and electrics, diesel heater, auxiliary heater, toilet during handover? Any tips on what to check out?
Hi Zephyr,

Not the answer you were looking for, hopefully an existing owner can add some clarity.

I should be collecting my 600 next week too. My understanding is the 680 does not have a factory fitted shower head attachment on the wall like the 600 due to it being smaller in height. I will be checking as much as I can and taking a small gas bottle with me however I have not heard any reports of VW not fixing anything afterwards anyway, so even if something is broken I doubt I’ll be refusing the order and waiting another 6 months.

Morning Zephr,

The 680 has no attachment in the shower room due to height as Mike says, can be ordered via amazon ie suction type.

There is no gas bottles installed at the time of collection. Take one with you.

A would ask for a demonstration on starting up the Truma heating, not sure if your gas or diesel.

Thetford loo is very easy should have no issue there just insure you have enough water in your tank.

Ask them to rearrange (45%) the top socket in the galley as you are unable to plug in two items together.
The Thule step under the sliding door is temperamental and does not always retract, bad batch as others have had the same problem.
Tyres if you ordered with all season they possibly will not be on there As for some season stopped that option. Mine arrived without however my dealer got Some in and changed them.

I’m sure. This has really improved the ride and comfort as I think the. Supplied Continentals are much to firm and harsh.

happy days

Will

Hi Zephyr,

Not the answer you were looking for, hopefully an existing owner can add some clarity.

I should be collecting my 600 next week too. My understanding is the 680 does not have a factory fitted shower head attachment on the wall like the 600 due to it being smaller in height. I will be checking as much as I can and taking a small gas bottle with me however I have not heard any reports of VW not fixing anything afterwards anyway, so even if something is broken I doubt I’ll be refusing the order and waiting another 6 months.
Hello Mike
Thanks for the information. I hope all goes well for you when collecting your 600.
Alan

Morning Zephr,

The 680 has no attachment in the shower room due to height as Mike says, can be ordered via amazon ie suction type.

There is no gas bottles installed at the time of collection. Take one with you.

A would ask for a demonstration on starting up the Truma heating, not sure if your gas or diesel.

Thetford loo is very easy should have no issue there just insure you have enough water in your tank.

Ask them to rearrange (45%) the top socket in the galley as you are unable to plug in two items together.
The Thule step under the sliding door is temperamental and does not always retract, bad batch as others have had the same problem.
Tyres if you ordered with all season they possibly will not be on there As for some season stopped that option. Mine arrived without however my dealer got Some in and changed them.

I’m sure. This has really improved the ride and comfort as I think the. Supplied Continentals are much to firm and harsh.

happy days

Will
Hi Will,
I have bought a suction shower head attachment for my 680 but when I tried it on the white plastic above the mirror it kept falling off. The suction attachment came with a plastic bit that can be stuck to the wall. Should I stick this to the shower wall and then fix the suction attachment to that? I was initially hoping it would suck to the wall without sticking anything to the wall.
What have you done?
Hope you are enjoying the Scottish Highland & Islands.
Andrew

Back