Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Sweden

cruiser

cruiser

Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hi all,
I just joined! I live in Sweden but I am originally from Italy.
Currently owning a T5 (ex-Caravelle) converted by an Italian company, equipped with furniture and elevating roof. Not exactly a Cali, but quite similar in size and purpose.
In terms of heating capabilities, the van has an LPG-operated Trumatic E2400 air heater, plus a diesel-operated Webasto Thermo Top 5000 water heater (aftermarket) for pre-heating the engine and the cabin. The Thermo Top is fully controllable and programmable, and extremely powerful.
Since I often camp in the middle of nowhere even in winter, and Scandinavia is definitely cold, I need reliable and efficient heating. So far I have been coping with the following two issues:
  • The Trumatic heater needs very little current, but the LPG autonomy is low due to the small size of the cylinder;
  • With the Thermo Top I don't have to worry about the fuel autonomy, but it absorbs so much current that it is hard to keep it running all the night without draining completely the leisure battery.

To solve both problems, I purchased a Webasto Air Top 2000 kit specific for VW T5, and will try to install it by myself. The power consumption of the Air Top, according to the datasheet, is much lower than the Thermo Top.
Hopefully, I will soon let you know how it goes...

Back