Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Parking heater and 230V socket ?!

Can water heating work nonstop if I am connected to a 230V power outlet?

Can water heating work nonstop if I am connected to a 230V power outlet?
If you are talking about the Webasto Coolant Heater, then the answer is No.

It takes more electrical power from the engine battery than the Mains Battery Charger can supply, so you will just end up with a flat battery.
The Mains Charger only trickle charges the Engine Battery.

I wonder, why VW offers water heating and requires us additional pay a lot for it despite that water heating is standard equipment and does not have any additional functions? I am looking for an alternative to air heating because I do not think I would use it often.

I wonder, why VW offers water heating and requires us additional pay a lot for it despite that water heating is standard equipment and does not have any additional functions? I am looking for an alternative to air heating because I do not think I would use it often.
The Webasto heats the engine coolant ONLY. Diesel engines warm up very, very slowly in cold weather and the longer they take to warm up the more wear they can suffer and the more emissions they produce.

It is nothing to do with heating Water for the kitchen etc:, just the engine.

The Webasto heats the engine coolant ONLY. Diesel engines warm up very, very slowly in cold weather and the longer they take to warm up the more wear they can suffer and the more emissions they produce.

It is nothing to do with heating Water for the kitchen etc:, just the engine.

You are correct but Tuco may be alluding to whether the engine heater could have been purposed to also serve as a space heater for the habitation area. It would be rare that both heaters are required simultaneously.

This will mean the saving of an expensive item and all that goes with it. Just a thought :(

You are correct but Tuco may be alluding to whether the engine heater could have been purposed to also serve as a space heater for the habitation area. It would be rare that both heaters are required simultaneously.

This will mean the saving of an expensive item and all that goes with it. Just a thought :(

Interesting thought...

If stopping for a winter picnic in the Cali, we press the "rest" button and this keeps the cabin warm for ~30 minutes using the coolant (I think). Could an adaption be to heat the coolant from hookup to heat the cabin using the "rest" function?

Probably a hopelessly inefficient way to heat the cabin.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Interesting thought...

If stopping for a winter picnic in the Cali, we press the "rest" button and this keeps the cabin warm for ~30 minutes using the coolant (I think). Could an adaption be to heat the coolant from hookup to heat the cabin using the "rest" function?

Probably a hopelessly inefficient way to heat the cabin.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

In theory it should be a case of diverting the water to a water/air heat exchanger and of course 'suitable' controls!

^ In the Land Rovers (RR/RRS/Discovery4 - with the option) that's what it does in later models to ensure the cabin is heated at the same time as the engine....

When you open the doors after 20 minutes following a remote blip the interior is nice and toastie even when its -5.

There was another reply in another thread I think, pointing out this can be done but only for a short period, some 30 minutes, because the Webasto is power hungry as it is also running a water pump as well to circulate the coolant. He also asked the question if it could be run for longer if the vehicle was plugged into the mains. My reading is that the Mains Charger only trickle charges the Engine Battery and unlikely to keep up with the power demands of the Webasto for a prolonged period of time.

Of course you do not NEED the Parking Heater if you restrict yourself to Summer Camping or if you plan on All Seasons use restrict yourself to Campsites with Mains Hookup and purchase a suitable Fan Heater or Oil filled Radiator to run off the Mains 230v socket.

In winter, I do not plan to spend the night in the car, but in Poland it is also cold in the summer;)
VW service claims that when the engine does not work, the water heating only heats the interior. A special valve closes the circuit in the engine and the air only blows through the ventilators in the cabin. Maybe it works for 120 minutes. They do not know if charging from a 230V socket is enough to ensure non-stop work ?!

Mój angielski nie jest najlepszy, ale próbuję ... przepraszam ;)

In winter, I do not plan to spend the night in the car, but in Poland it is also cold in the summer;)
VW service claims that when the engine does not work, the water heating only heats the interior. A special valve closes the circuit in the engine and the air only blows through the ventilators in the cabin. Maybe it works for 120 minutes. They do not know if charging from a 230V socket is enough to ensure non-stop work ?!
Well thats interesting. Hope it works as they say. Let us know how you get on.

I just sent the order to the seller ..., in three months I will write how it works ;)

Back