Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help!...I've got a leak.

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
253FDCBC-DAE0-46B7-A17A-25DEED5FABA2_1_105_c.jpeg
The slit that you're lighting is the drain hole - mine does not have what looks like two holes each side... but that, and there's one more at the rear (left) are the usual culprits...
I'd recommend a visit to the dealer for a replacement trim or try and seal around the drain hole - don't seal the drain itself!
If the drains are blocked, it may be causing the water to flow into the void below, so check that the drains are clear... you may get away with that, and clean the window seals...

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
This doesn't quite answer why you're getting water there after you've taped up the windows, unless the water's been there all along... Just make sure the water hasn't got there from the grey plastic areas...

edit - The drains require to empty below the window outside, which you've now taped up - could this be backing up?

edit 2 - looking closely at your picture, there seems to be a lot of water over the black trim, and over the grey plastic trim - if your windows are taped up successfully, that's a lot of water...

Last edited:
fraser500

fraser500

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
I've just been out to have a look at mine. There's a small gap between the glass worktop and the plastic trim, found by shining my phone torch down, which corresponds with the supporting member where your water is. Have you checked the rear of the worktop? There looks like a 'gutter' at each end where the blind slides down which links up with this 'slot' and could take water from the roof area, (B & C pillar areas)...
I think you've got it.

I'm sadly back to square one.

I thought I had it earlier with the slit in the sliding window but after being out there while it's been raining the area you've circled in red continues to fill with water and like you say capillary action seems to take it along and down. (although that slit does not seem right)

So if it's coming from the B&C pillar areas where do you think it could be coming in from, could there be any drain tubes running down them or could it be the rubber around the pop top not seating properly.

If it is the roof it's covered for 6 years by VW I believe so hopefully down to them to sort.

Thanks again for your suggestions, very helpful indeed.

fraser500

fraser500

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
For those that have a leak through the rubber gasket seal, they can be cleaned with water and a soft cloth, one dry treat with Gummi Pledge, basically a silicone emulsion, which you apply to the clean rubber seal, allow it to dry, reapply as necessary to restores the properties of the rubber.
Prevents the rubber from sticking to the mating / sealing surface which causes the rubber to deteriorate over time / use.
Another everyday solution is the shoe shine sponges, which have silicone oil Inptegnated, the silicone oil restores rubber and penetrates allowing the rubber seal to be revitalised.
I used this method on a previous VW sliding window, with two leaking windows, after two applications is sorted both leaking seals totally.

Use on your door and roof seals to keep in top condition and prevent leaks and squeaks.

Helps stop creaks and spurious noises from doors etc

And no I don’t have shares in the product haha, it just works
Many thanks for your reply, I will be getting busy with the Gummi Pledge as soon as it stops raining.

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
First ensure your drain slits are clear and remove the tape from the bottom of the window outside only. Dry up all the plastic trim inside and wait for the next rain or hose some water on it and monitor where it gets wet inside. If the drains are blocked, the water may be simply overflowing the black and down the grey... or is the water coming in from the sides...

fraser500

fraser500

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
First ensure your drain slits are clear and remove the tape from the bottom of the window outside only. Dry up all the plastic trim inside and wait for the next rain or hose some water on it and monitor where it gets wet inside. If the drains are blocked, the water may be simply overflowing the black and down the grey... or is the water coming in from the sides...
It’s coming from the sides I think, been out there as it’s raining and taken all the tape off.
with the whole black area covered water is still appearing in the crack between the trim and dripping down. So must be coming above and dripping down the side then running into that crack.
Maybe a new seal around the whole pop top but would have thought it should all be sealed up there.
Many thanks again for all your help.

fraser500

fraser500

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
After reading through another thread it may be the grommets that are located under the hydraulic pistons on the roof.

Time will tell I suppose.

rod_vw

rod_vw

Vehicle
Motorhome
It's an undisclosed special feature of most VW T5s & T6s that the drain system from the runners of sliding windows are not correctly manufactured. VW have know about this since the birth of the T5 in 2003 but as yet have not managed to fix it!

You will find that the two parts that make up the drain below the runner are not properly joined thus allowing water to pass inside the vehicle instead of outside.

The feature should be listed in the vehicle specification:veryfunny

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
It's an undisclosed special feature of most VW T5s & T6s that the drain system from the runners of sliding windows are not correctly manufactured. VW have know about this since the birth of the T5 in 2003 but as yet have not managed to fix it!

You will find that the two parts that make up the drain below the runner are not properly joined thus allowing water to pass inside the vehicle instead of outside.

The feature should be listed in the vehicle specification:veryfunny
I’m almost tempted to see if I could get hold of a second hand window and have a play at working out a fix.

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Found a pic on the web.I've added my scribbles to show how the dodgy drains are connected.
I suspect the bonding of the plastic drain to the glass could be the culprit as far as water getting in.
window drainflow.jpg

AlisonF

AlisonF

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Found a pic on the web.I've added my scribbles to show how the dodgy drains are connected.
I suspect the bonding of the plastic drain to the glass could be the culprit as far as water getting in.
View attachment 54301
That’s extremely helpful. As I’m being a bit Of a numpty (sorry) can you also indicate which arrows show where the drain SHOULD go and where it is leaking.
It’s probably all there already... I just want to know for sure before (if you’re on with that) sharing with my dealer when the van goes in.
Thanks in advance.

EddieEagle

EddieEagle

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
View attachment 54301
Thought as much, so its basically down to the care of the original fitment as to whether the water which goes into the drain channel doesn't go back into the van.....

ArunAlec

ArunAlec

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
That’s extremely helpful. As I’m being a bit Of a numpty (sorry) can you also indicate which arrows show where the drain SHOULD go and where it is leaking.
It’s probably all there already... I just want to know for sure before (if you’re on with that) sharing with my dealer when the van goes in.
Thanks in advance.
The plastic assembly marked in red should direct water from the 2 drains straight outside (dotted yellow). (The one in the photo is damaged where the window was removed). Any water escaping from the assembly "above" the sealant will be running down the inside of the body panel.
window drain3.jpg

Attachments

fraser500

fraser500

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ok so it's been into VW and it's the side window seal that's leaking or so theyt say...

So it's going to have to have a whole new side window fitted/bonded.

The VW Van Centre have spoken to VW Customer care and there is no goodwill offer from them to help cover the cost.

Which is a bit of a disgrace bearing in mind it's a 2016 vehicle.

Is it worth me calling VW Customer Care UK myself to push this as it's seems ridiculus to me for them to not pay anything towards it?

But at least it's going to be fixed, next week as it cant be done any sooner.

Lets just hope they connect up the drainage bits correctly.

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I thought your taping of all the joints would have discounted the seals....

You mentioned you've only had it a few weeks, no warranty with the purchase?

Worth a call to VWCC to say you've only just bought it, with no indication of water issues prior to sale, but I wouldn't hold much hope but worth a try...

AlisonF

AlisonF

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Ok so it's been into VW and it's the side window seal that's leaking or so theyt say...

So it's going to have to have a whole new side window fitted/bonded.

The VW Van Centre have spoken to VW Customer care and there is no goodwill offer from them to help cover the cost.

Which is a bit of a disgrace bearing in mind it's a 2016 vehicle.

Is it worth me calling VW Customer Care UK myself to push this as it's seems ridiculus to me for them to not pay anything towards it?

But at least it's going to be fixed, next week as it cant be done any sooner.

Lets just hope they connect up the drainage bits correctly.
I’ve received a notification for the test for my window, at the end it says...
“As always please make the customer aware that the ingress has to be quite severe to get authorised by VW, and if new windows are authorised, they will likely leak to some extent, depending on the volume of rain and the angle it hits the window at.”
Which does make me hesitate going through the hassle of tests or new windows (requiring kitchen dismantling) if the new ones are not guarantees to not leak...

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
That's a very vague statement Alison that you've received, with "quite severe", "likely leak to some extent" and "volume and angle"! What's acceptable? No leaks are acceptable to me... I would not want any intrusive work done either which may make it worse with no guarantee.

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Totally unacceptable response by the dealer. The California is for habitation use and no leak is the default. I would advise them of their responsibilty - but knowing the dealers up here don't hold your breath. This is sad and seems you have been treated badly. Keep fighting and don't give up.