Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help please choosing between Indium Grey and Mojave Beige for new Cali

We ordered a Mojave Biege and after nearly 1 month of ownership my views are:

1. Looks great when cleaned.
2. Changes colour slightly depending on the lighting conditions, nice.
3. Seems to show *all* the dirt when rainy or foul weather.

We live in Yorkshire and with all the rain, mud and silt on the roads, our Mojave Cali's not been looking at its best.

I had 2 Silver Amarok's prior to Cali and silver seemed to look acceptable irregardless of the weather conditions and so needed less cleaning. I am not known for cleaning any vehicle regularly, the Amarok *may* have got cleaned once or twice a year, Mojave Cali is going to need more attention.

Would I order Mojave again, not 100% sure at the moment, I may change my mind once this weather clears up and we have a dry, sunny spell.

We ordered a Mojave Biege and after nearly 1 month of ownership my views are:

3. Seems to show *all* the dirt when rainy or foul weather.

We live in Yorkshire and with all the rain, mud and silt on the roads, our Mojave Cali's not been looking at its best.
That's interesting. I would have thought that Mojave Beige would be one of the best colours for looking clean even when dirty. We had an Acapulco Blue one until recently and that was a great colour for camouflaging dirt. Before that we had a Pearlescent Black Cali. In my experience, that and any other dark colour are the worst. Black shows every mark even after it's just been cleaned. Drive it down the average soggy lane in winter and it will look as if it just been competing in a ploughing match.

That's interesting. I would have thought that Mojave Beige would be one of the best colours for looking clean even when dirty. We had an Acapulco Blue one until recently and that was a great colour for camouflaging dirt. Before that we had a Pearlescent Black Cali. In my experience, that and any other dark colour are the worst. Black shows every mark even after it's just been cleaned. Drive it down the average soggy lane in winter and it will look as if it just been competing in a ploughing match.
Yeah I concur with your thoughts re dark colours. Black esp looks like a soggy cat very quickly even in the lightest of showers. Can look exceptional when all polished and gleaming but its the King or Queen at looking dismal after a wee bit of weather.

I was surprised at a white car I once owned. It didnt get as dirty as I expected it to but definitely silver seems to be top dog at appearing shiny at all times. Fortunately the Mojave Beige Cali we hired for a month avoided all nasty weather on our jaunt through Wales and Gloucester in August of this year, so I wasnt able to make mental notes on just how good it is at fighting off the rain.

As a brighter metallic colour Id assume it ought to be up there with silver so like @Borris im surprised to hear thats it isnt.

It is still at the top of my list however. :)

Yeah I concur with your thoughts re dark colours. Black esp looks like a soggy cat very quickly even in the lightest of showers. Can look exceptional when all polished and gleaming but its the King or Queen at looking dismal after a wee bit of weather.

I was surprised at a white car I once owned. It didnt get as dirty as I expected it to but definitely silver seems to be top dog at appearing shiny at all times. Fortunately the Mojave Beige Cali we hired for a month avoided all nasty weather on our jaunt through Wales and Gloucester in August of this year, so I wasnt able to make mental notes on just how good it is at fighting off the rain.

As a brighter metallic colour Id assume it ought to be up there with silver so like @Borris im surprised to hear thats it isnt.

It is still at the top of my list however. :)
I'm with you on White being a good colour at keeping clean. I've had both Candy White VWs and Skodas in the past and they always looked reasonably smart. Our latest Beach is Candy White over Starlight Blue so at least half of the van will look fairly clean.

Last edited:
I'm with on White being a good colour at keeping clean. I've had both Candy White VWs and Skodas in the past and they always looked reasonably smart. Our latest Beach is Candy White over Starlight Blue so at least half of the van will look fairly clean.
Smart combo that :thumb . Yeah I was beginning to wonder if white cars attracting the dirt was an old wives tale because ours did a much better than job than expected.

Mojave beige would have been my first choice if I had been ordering new. It’s the color of my sister’s Golf in Toronto and looks great all year. But, my ex-demo German Beach in Acapulco blue had all the hard to find extras that I wanted, and I love it. Black was an absolute no because I live where there’s a lot of sun. I have to admit I kind of love seeing a really muddy Cali, because surely there was a great adventure to tell there. That said, I clean mine thoroughly inside and out after every trip (it never gets used in the city, about 20,000 km a year in mountain outings).

That's interesting. I would have thought that Mojave Beige would be one of the best colours for looking clean even when dirty.
Actually it is pretty good at that.
I think @Cloud Dodger was making a different point.
A dirty Mojave is one thing.
A wet dirty Mojave is a bit different.

Ours is beige and we love the colour

Ours is Mojave Beige and i really really hate the word beige as it conjures up in my mind an old mans trousers

However the Mojave bit makes all the difference and in reality it is anything but beige

Depends on the light but looks very different in different conditions and is simply a great colour despite the beige name

Ours does have iridium gray roof and mirrors though

I would only ever consider beige when I hit my seventies, the same as I would never consider beige clothes !!

for the coaster we already decided for mojave beige - changing last minute for edition due to packages that made it cheaper we had to change for indium grey metallic as mojave is not available on coast edition. meanwhile happy to have it changed - the darker grey looks kind of more sportiv and massiv. but of course - on each personal preference this might be different.

Think iridium grey was one of most popular resale colours - have to say though I do the mojave beige as a two tone combi :thumb

Here is a photo of our Mojave Beach, just been cleaned and with a bit of a brighter day, it looks fab.

The other photos shows the dirt its picked up. I didn't really notice this on my last 6 silver vehicles, so not sure if dirt stands out more on a Mojave or its just me getting used to a non silver colour.

It is my works van so everyday its out and about, rain, snow or blow. So this time of year it will tend to get pretty dirty. In the brighter and drier spring, summer, autumn days it will probably keep its looks for longer.

IMG_6089.jpg IMG_6090.JPGIMG_6091.JPGIMG_6092.JPG

IMG_6087.jpg

Last edited:
That first photo above is exactly why I started calling it “warm silver”.

And for the other photos, I find that if I don’t have time to clean mine properly, a quick hose down still looks excellent.

Here is a photo of our Mojave Beach, just been cleaned and with a bit of a brighter day, it looks fab.

The other photos shows the dirt its picked up. I didn't really notice this on my last 6 silver vehicles, so not sure if dirt stands out more on a Mojave or its just me getting used to a non silver colour.

It is my works van so everyday its out and about, rain, snow or blow. So this time of year it will tend to get pretty dirty. In the brighter and drier spring, summer, autumn days it will probably keep its looks for longer.

View attachment 53135 View attachment 53136View attachment 53137View attachment 53138

View attachment 53139

Looks just fine even with a splattering of muck. :thumb

Back