Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help. RCD tripping..

Birty

Birty

Vehicle
Cali now sold
Only trips when I plug something into the socket.. Everything that is, so that rules out the device i plug in... It even trips when I plug in my tester... I disconnected the fridge and still trips out when I use the socket... Any common faults before I start pulling things apart? ( I could not find an isolation switch for the fridge which is surprising!!)

I think the fridge only works on 12vdc, but i may be wrong.
Take socket apart as it could be a loose connection or burnt connection within socket. Don't know how to take socket apart as my cali has a european socket

i think the fridge is like john says 12v when you are plugged into the mains the leisure batteries charge and keep the fridge working and the lights and the heating.

Deffo a loose connection. Check the hook up cable first.

Its now working so poss a loose connection. Looks a pain to get to the rear of rcd to check! Also I assume socket is removed from the front panel/clip off type? ( the hook up and supply is all brand new, but will check)

Only trips when I plug something into the socket.. Everything that is, so that rules out the device i plug in... It even trips when I plug in my tester... I disconnected the fridge and still trips out when I use the socket... Any common faults before I start pulling things apart? ( I could not find an isolation switch for the fridge which is surprising!!)
Mains Circuit.

http://www.oemepc.com/vw/part_singl...937/subcategory/937090/part_id/3707145/lang/e

The Fridge is 12v only.
What you can see is the Mains Charger, which I believe is located under the Fridge on your vehicle.
So points to check are, Mains Charger, 230 v Socket on end of Kitchen, RCD circuit breaker and earth connection.
885C66C5-52FB-4D7D-AF96-FC3F29A31BD4.png

Its now working so poss a loose connection. Looks a pain to get to the rear of rcd to check! Also I assume socket is removed from the front panel/clip off type? ( the hook up and supply is all brand new, but will check)
It’s prob unlikely to be hook up cable as it’s effectively upwind of the RCD but good to rule it out.

There are only two things down wind of the RCD, the socket on the side of the fridge and the battery charger so it should be an easy one.

Thanks.. the diagram will deffo be a help! Just gotta wait for rain to stop b4 pulling afew things apart! Trouble is its fine at the mo! ( Before you ask no its not rain related cos its been in my garage for a week and triped before coming out!) I susspect loose connection or faulty RCD.. it tests fine though with trip button and my meter/rcd tester.. I love intermittent faults . I am an ex sparks by trade, so know how to test etc its just that i needed to know common faults and what the 230v actually does before starting to look..

I do like an RCD fault. Spent half a day once ramp testing an RCD slowly adding circuits till I found the increased leakage.

Thankfully you only have two.

I do like an RCD fault. Spent half a day once ramp testing an RCD slowly adding circuits till I found the increased leakage.

Thankfully you only have two.
Wonder why vw use 10mA? The regs say 30mA I recall, not as sensitive as 10 mA.. I can only assume that its to allow for discrepancies and ensure that it trips before the site supply RCD goes...

Wonder why vw use 10mA? The regs say 30mA I recall, not as sensitive as 10 mA.. I can only assume that its to allow for discrepancies and ensure that it trips before the site supply RCD goes...
I would count on any discrimination. I’ve had both site and van go together.
Not sure why it’s 10mA.

It’s been discussed here before. I’ve tried to find a double pole 30mA unit but failed.
At least any live stock sharing your van will be safe. :thumb

I'd start with the socket. Presumably works fine with battery charging etc, only happens when socket used?