Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help, roof won't go down

Just being reading some posts from the past a guy removed his pump and fitted a new one ,very interesting again uneven lifting issue.looking at the pump it has a number of Allen bolt plugs these are quite often check valves which lock the ports off when the pump stops ie stopping the fluid draining back to the tank locking the fluid into the cylinder ,or they allow the roof cylinders to lift through pilot lines when the pump starts.
the guys issue might have been that debris has become trapped between the check valve so when the pump stops the fluid slowly passes over the check valve which then causes the cylinder to drop.each cylinder will have its own check valve so again if debris was trapped it could also cause a cylinder to drop or lift slow due to the check not lifting enough which would restricts the fluid flow.
the check valves can be removed and cleaned but the debris has come from somewhere probably cylinder seals or the seals on the cartridge check valves.

This probably why the dealer changes the pump, but can’t see why this would be the issue with a new van.
You haven't got a workshop and a load of time on your hands have you? :)

There is an opening for someone fluent with the Cali roof. One member was
charged about 3.5k for VW to replace stuff.

You haven't got a workshop and a load of time on your hands have you? :)

There is an opening for someone fluent with the Cali roof. One member was
charged about 3.5k for VW to replace stuff.
Lol for that kind of money I might start a new business, I do I have some very good contacts in the hydraulic world, a company that would probably repair the cylinders and potentially repair and test the pump.But can’t see them removing the trims of the van.

Lol for that kind of money I might start a new business, I do I have some very good contacts in the hydraulic world, a company that would probably repair the cylinders and potentially repair and test the pump.But can’t see them removing the trims of the van.
Hang on, don't get too excited.

Entry level is probably about 400 quid to diagnose and top up the oil, then when
they return with the same problem, change one of the rams 900 quid, nice.
They come back again, then you hit them with doing the other ram and a new pump
and a new electric loom for the sensors. 2.5k minimum with a bit of good will discount,
a coffee and a chocolate finger.

Hi, anyone any ideas, my roof went up ok and now when you try put it down only one side starts to come down and the other side won't move at all.. tried going up and down again and no luck and now after leaving it an hour the side that is up is starting to sink so the whole roof is lop sided. Ideas of what to do would be most welcome.
Hi all.
This is an old thread but has anyone got a video to get to the screw to release the hydraulics. I got a 1000 fault code come up on my screen that I cleared ( probably a dodgy sensor after cleaning the roof rail!! )so I’m going to practice the manual close. Just in case I need it in the future

Hi all.
This is an old thread but has anyone got a video to get to the screw to release the hydraulics. I got a 1000 fault code come up on my screen that I cleared ( probably a dodgy sensor after cleaning the roof rail!! )so I’m going to practice the manual close. Just in case I need it in the future
On a T4 Hightop?

Sorry. I’ve now moved on to a t5 Cali ocean