Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Here we go again

After Dolina we went to Maribor to have a lunchbreak. We found a great parkingspot next to the Maribor City Park. And there even were two parking slots for overnight parking with your camper. There are more next to the trainstation but I do not know if you could stay there for a night.
5b492bbd0b4d4908240f07f73bdd24b4.jpg
9b5500b03e833742b9863808b93cb3d6.jpg

Maribor itself is a small town with some great spots for outdoor activities: Maribor Pohorje for Downhill biking or the three ponds in the north for a walk.

Last edited:
From Maribor we crossed boarder to Austria and drove to Graz. We wanted to try out odn of the „Premium Stellplätze“.
9440ddf69316f6cb293f55f486c98f7d.jpeg

It is situated outside of Graz next to a swimming pool (entry fee is included) and a small church on a hill is nearby:
8ac602def5388577a5da664d5bff035f.jpg

There are some restaurants (running sushi, McDonalds) and some shops in walking distance (Hofer and Billa).
We enjoyed the swimming pool and tried the running sushi for dinner.
Facilities are okay and capable to serve this „huge“ place.
13d4e958aea708a5b6d259b38450ac95.jpg

IMO it is a great camping to visit Graz and nicer than other city camping i‘ve seen (Munich).

After Graz we wanted to visit Salzburg again and if our son is fed up with driving stay there for a night. We knew it was a „long“ drive so we took off early and arrived at noon in Salzburg.
Parking in the citycenter with a Cali is no problem (as long as you‘re under 2meters).
Parking Linzer Gasse is great (I remember it was with a 2.10m hight restriction): http://bestinparking.at/garage/salzburg/glockengasse/4a
Very close or directly in the city center.
741aa18ec4b2ff53f5a23d433237e3f5.jpg

After coffee and small lunch we decided to leave and drive further and cross boarder to Germany. The route A8 is very popular and we were prepared to have some traffic jam. After Salzburg at the boarder there was some traffic but after all nothing serious.
We arrived after some stopps in Achenkirch and were - let‘s say - unprepared for that amount of people. We were often here in the past but most of the time off season. So first night we spent in the MH park.
9ac0c672c6e9c1ace6a2bf58b3b8120b.jpg

Yesterday we could move and stood on a grass pitch, was okay. We had a lot of space as many didn‘t want to stand next to a van with baby - we totally understood that. We went to the lake, enjoyed the sun.
fd0c64c2e9c826f9d4d40f01a2307405.jpg

During the day the field turn back again in a grass field and suddenly we were standing „alone“ because everybody moved on - we guessed - further south.
0a42ceff8288adf013abca4885fa2578.jpg

And after dinner - cadac safari chief performes perfect - we were back again in a camping place.
42d123dbc23becedbd37d89d4a67a17b.jpg

Last edited:
After Dolina we went to Maribor to have a lunchbreak. We found a great parkingspot next to the Maribor City Park. And there even were two parking slots for overnight parking with your camper. There are more next to the trainstation but I do not know if you could stay there for a night.
5b492bbd0b4d4908240f07f73bdd24b4.jpg
9b5500b03e833742b9863808b93cb3d6.jpg

Maribor itself is a small town with some great spots for outdoor activities: Maribor Pohorje for Downhill biking or the three ponds in the north for a walk.
Shows what good focus countries other than the UK have on campervans. France - Aires, Germany also has good stop areas. Netherlands, Belgium, you name it ... Except for the UK where you have to hunt for a campervan site and then pay for it if you want any service . :(

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

After coffee and small lunch we decided to leave and drive further and cross boarder to Germany. The route A8 is very popular and we were prepared to have some traffic jam. After Salzburg at the boarder there was some traffic but after all nothing serious.
We arrived after some stopps in Achenkirch and were - let‘s say - unprepared for that amount of people. We were often here in the past but most of the time off season. So first night we spent in the MH park.
9ac0c672c6e9c1ace6a2bf58b3b8120b.jpg

Yesterday we could move and stood on a grass pitch, was okay. We had a lot of space as many didn‘t want to stand next to a van with baby - we totally understood that. We went to the lake, enjoyed the sun.
fd0c64c2e9c826f9d4d40f01a2307405.jpg

During the day the field turn back again in a grass field and suddenly we were standing „alone“ because everybody moved on - we guessed - further south.
0a42ceff8288adf013abca4885fa2578.jpg

And after dinner - cadac safari chief performes perfect - we were back again in a camping place.
42d123dbc23becedbd37d89d4a67a17b.jpg
Brilliant report. Thank you for sharing and keep it coming :)

Short conclusion after 2 weeks travelling with a 3 Month old (others done this before, so I am sorry to repeat commen knowledge):

1.) We weren‘t extra prepared to travel with a baby and I am happy we didn‘t listen to some of our relatives („too young“, „to far“, „to long“) and just started our holidays.
2.) You can almost buy anything everywhere: Food, nappies, drinks. What to take: Time.
3.) Sleeping in a California top bed means sleeping in a tent. So everybody is hearing your baby cry. I tried not to get stressed about it otherwise offer a coffee from my Nesspresso in the morningSo coffee is important (for us). Buy it or be able to brew it or very often we needed both.
4.) We have a SE and that‘s perfect. If we would have a Beach: Perfect too, because it doesn‘t matter. Focus on time together and I am pretty sure my son doesn‘t care about it.
5.) ... sorry, I have to go, he‘s crying atm

Brilliant report. Thank you for sharing and keep it coming

Thank you. We are heading to Munich for some days. Enjoying some time with my partners sister and kids. We might need the Cali as a extended room to sleep or play (depends on parking situation). So one more stop is coming (Camping Seehaupt next to Starnbergersee).

Our place next to a nice „van“
25ecdeb1540f9c7c6e2d39a711a50eac.jpg

In the background reception and facilities.
20a22b85750687742c5732ff88ba8fe8.jpg
Almost everything is strictly ruled and timed. They close the main washing room from 10.30 till 11.30 for cleaning or you are allowed to do the washing up untill 21.30. All okay for us, just looks pretty hard to control all this rules.
Cabins to rent:
9180b1fad8ee3777b9f9584d801316d9.jpg

However with a direct access to a nice lake: perfect to stay more than one night.
e0a9e5a5fba4a51c290a49b3f9ab425d.jpg

Last edited:
Arrived in Munich and prepare for some family visits (shopping and washing). Still unsure where we‘ll go after Tuesdaynoon as we still got a week to travel back home. One idea is to head to Hopfensee (again) and the Bodensee area or drive after Hopfensee to Austria again and fallow the River Inn to St. Moritz.

Last edited:
Recap: We had 6 days in Munich with family and it all went quite good. We shared our flat with my partners sister and her 3 kids (2, 5 and 8), they slept on our balcony in a tent. For the weekend my futur parents in law arrived and stayed in a near hotel.
What have we done to fullfill different wishes?
1. Went out to eat some thai food here:
- Nam nam: http://www.nam-nam.eu/, good food, kids are welcome.
- We ate in the Biergarten Kastanien, small Biergarten with a small playground and some decent food (German mixed with Croatian)
- Hirschgarten (self serviced „Schenke“ and traditional restaurant), also a nice park with playgrounds, basketball court and during summer sometimes a market/fair.
2. Went shopping here:
- Pep (pep-muenchen.de), shopping center, nothing special
- Auer Dult (https://www.muenchen.de/int/en/), traditional fair&market, great with children. 3 times a year.
3. Swimming here:
- Maria Einsiedel Bad (https://www.swm.de/privatkunden/m-baeder/schwimmen/freibaeder/naturbad-maria-einsiedel.html), nice place for families. 2 pools for kids and a playground. Finding some place in the shade is maybe difficult.
- Michaeli Bad (https://www.swm.de/privatkunden/m-baeder/schwimmen/freibaeder/michaeli-freibad.html) also quite big and enough to play and swim for everyone.

9f0dc02209510d557b540b83e19e1df1.jpg

Maria Einsiedel Bad. It is actually a river (side arm of the Isar) and 3 pools (2 for kids, 1 for swimming).

Last edited:
And now we are heading back home. We have almost a week until we’d like to be back.
Yesterday we were packing and cleaning our flat in Munich and then left again in direction of Lindau.

We stopped at Camping Hopfensee (www.camping-hopfensee.de) near Fuessen/Castle Neuschwanstein.
The site is a great site for kids (swimmingpool for the youngest, playgrounds, activities and so on) with a direct path to the lake.
We‘ve been here last year and wanted to try out with our son, booked one night and had the chance to stay another night.
The pitches are decent size with freshwater tap and drain/greywater. We were right next to the facilities however we didn‘t bother because that means we had everything around us: Washing up, indoor swimmingpool, bathrooms abd shower. If you fancy some movies they play some twice a day (4pm for kids and 8pm for adults). In the morning or at noon they offer different activities like pilates or aquagym.
5065624f8627cc46071c9e5207b1cd73.jpg
Next to a Spanish speaking family. Unfortunately didn‘t have the chance to chat about his fancy California Ocean with the special decals.

Last edited:
Only a 10 minutes bus ride to Füssen from the camping (ticket is included in the Füssencard. You get this card from the camping), we took the chance to visit this medival town. It is - of course - very touristic and prices are high(er) than elsewhere. However we enjoyed it

After leaving Camping Hopfensee - again great place for kids (dog owners are also welcome) - we drove about 1.5 hours to Gitzenweiler Hof (http://www.gitzenweiler-hof.de/de/) in Lindau (we took the A7 and B12). Huge place, with pool (outdoor), two restaurants and kids animation programm. Lots of MH, caravans and some vans. After one night: The camping is almost to big for us and we hoped the baby pool is as great as it was in Hopfensee. Unfortunately it wasn‘t (yesterday it looked as everyone walked in with shoes...). The pitches are quite different: Some are great (decent size) and some are small and very close to the pool or with no shade at all. Our place is superb for us! Right next to the Natural playground (you see part of the fence on the right).

57460b71a57e53622254d3ea73b01eef.jpg

Today we took the bus to Lindau. Nice medival town on an island.
Attention: It‘s high season and summersale. So lots of people around. However we enjoyed it, ate some cake at Theater Café (great cakes - not so fast service) and went back by bus (incl. camping fee/tax).
bdbf4518647234b26da0f4a77ecfdf6d.jpg

Last edited:
Just left Camping Eschbach at Wasserburg near Lindau, lovely quiet site near the lake and a great lido next door.

Gitzenweiler Hof is passé. We both aren‘t sure if we return to this spot. There are pros and cons however we would visit this site again in off season for 1 night, just to give them an other chance.
Pros:
- Close to Bodensee, Island Lindau, Munich, Allgäu and Black Forest
- Got everything you need: Restaurants (2), supermarket, pool, kidsfriendly site, activity programm such as yoga (actually we couldn’t find out when exactly) or aqua gym
- Pitch Nr. 128 was great: almost even, next to a playground (said before) and not in the centre of site but close to everything (facilities)
Cons:
(- I know it is high season and I am not complaining about a lot of people. Fact&we knew it.)
- Our impression was that there weren‘t enough staff to keep their standart (cleaning for example) To be fair: Men‘s shower were okay to good.

Here are some more pictures:

Shower
101b01068a1655fb7e7099a48027e100.jpg

Washingroom
994b1b0ad555dc1dd49670c472fc2ba9.jpg

Facilities&Holiday clean
0bcf75858da704e68f289096f4b5996b.jpg