Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

High milers

we are 160,000 miles/257,000 KM in on a 2008 plate

The unknown is that I have no service history so don't know what has been changed and when although it does have main dealer stamps in the logbook all the way from new. Local mechanic thinks that regular oil change and leave it be, reacting to anything that crops up is the best tactic.

But VW Assist does not come with extended warranty, even the factory one (according to VW Assist.)
The Warranty extension is really a paid for Option, so I didn’t consider that in my answer as not every takes it.
I’m not sure about the 4 yr warranty that came with the ? T6.1, whether that includes 4 yr VW Assistance as that is not a paid for Option as such.

The Warranty extension is really a paid for Option, so I didn’t consider that in my answer as not every takes it.
I’m not sure about the 4 yr warranty that came with the ? T6.1, whether that includes 4 yr VW Assistance as that is not a paid for Option as such.
My forthcoming Ocean comes with a 4 year warranty, 4 year roadside assistance and the first two services. I think that was a ‘special offer in July/August though.

FWIW, These warranty periods vary in different countries. In New Zealand all new VW come with a 5 year/150,000km warranty. That includes the California.

we are 160,000 miles/257,000 KM in on a 2008 plate

The unknown is that I have no service history so don't know what has been changed and when although it does have main dealer stamps in the logbook all the way from new. Local mechanic thinks that regular oil change and leave it be, reacting to anything that crops up is the best tactic.

Contact the dealers shown on the stamps, they might be able to tell you what work was carried out.

Beginner with 2005 Calif 2.5. About 17500 miles/280t km. It somehow sounds reassuring to read your posts, I would speculate the clutch could be the first engine part or maybe the crank rod. I hold my thumbs until.
Thank you all for sharing.

just seen a T5.1 for sale with 440,000 miles on it. o_O

Just seen a nice looking 2012 Berghaus 5.1 for sale with 1 owner, full history 204,000 miles.
Asking £23950.

If looked after (oil change, not excessive load when cold and preferably few short journeys), diesel engines can run on for ages. Bits will wear of course, but modern engines in moderate states of tune don't require regular rebuilding like engines of old did. Just look at the odometers of the scruffier minicabs and you'll see over 300k regularly. Where I do, I often quiz the owner on what work has been needed and often it's surprisingly little.

Most modern vehicles that haven't been written off due to accidents go to the grave due to corrosion or other components wearing out (e.g. lots of expensive suspension bits), the engines (in diesels in particular) are often fine.