Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hook up cable

T

Terry Ibrahim

VIP Member
Just had a delivery of my new cali. Do i need 10m or 25meter Electric cable? any opinion welcome

Hi
we started with a 10m cable but found a couple of times we were limited which way we could park the van on a pitch so this year we changed to a 25m cable.
Also the hook ups abroad often are not always on your pitch so the cables run behind another pitch just to plug in.

Dave and lisa :thumb

just a 20-25m will be fine ....i use a 10m while on my drive to hook-up ,but never take it with me :D

inthemidnighthour said:
Hi
we started with a 10m cable but found a couple of times we were limited which way we could park the van on a pitch so this year we changed to a 25m cable.
Also the hook ups abroad often are not always on your pitch so the cables run behind another pitch just to plug in.

Dave and lisa :thumb

Thank you Dave, Lisa and Lee for your advice. 25 m it is. We are both so exited, looking forward to putting faces on names.

Top tip. Do yourself a favour and find one with blue cable, not orange.

The blue cable is Arctic cable and has insulation that remains much more pliable when cold.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1dot5ART3B.html

Those orange cable are a nightmare to coil up.

If you can't find one, pop into your local elec wholeseller and buy a lenth and plug/socket for each end. All in, it'll cost a bit less than a nasty orange one.

S. ;)

sidepod said:
Top tip. Do yourself a favour and find one with blue cable, not orange.

The blue cable is Arctic cable and has insulation that remains much more pliable when cold.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CA1dot5ART3B.html

Those orange cable are a nightmare to coil up.

If you can't find one, pop into your local elec wholeseller and buy a lenth and plug/socket for each end. All in, it'll cost a bit less than a nasty orange one.

S. ;)

That is something to keep in mined, Thanks for that.

Good tip, Arctic is also available in yellow if you want the lead to be more visible. Personally would go for the 2.5mm2 option, especially on longer lengths.

It is the yellow plugs that denote 115v . For hookup cable (technically its flex not cable as stranded construction) the I'd will be 3183Y , then for arctic grade an AG suffix , then another identifier for colour (varies by manufacturer). 3183y are rated 500v (core to core). Both the blue and yellow arctic will have identical cores and the same grade of PVC insulation. Only difference is the pigment used.
As you may have guessed I work for a cable maker! Annoying the 3183 arctic range is not manufactured in any of the UK plants so I have to get it the same as everyone else .

owen_h said:
Good tip, Arctic is also available in yellow if you want the lead to be more visible. Personally would go for the 2.5mm2 option, especially on longer lengths.

Why? Ok the wiring regs BS7671 calls for a minimum of 2.5 for a 16A hook up.
Most older hooks ups are 10A or 6A. 1.5 mmsq will handle 16A unless you're somewhere extremely hot. In both cases the capacity of the cable is equal to or greater than that of the protective device.
In the Cali you're unlikely to plug anything in that will pull more than a few amps. Even if you did manage it you still have a 13A fuse in the plug.
Volt drop over 25m is unlikely to be more than a couple of percent give the minimal loads we are talking about.
I'm happy with 1.5mmsq, its just easier to coil up and stow.

S.

sidepod said:
owen_h said:

Why? Ok the wiring regs BS7671 calls for a minimum of 2.5 for a 16A hook up.
Most older hooks ups are 10A or 6A. 1.5 mmsq will handle 16A unless you're somewhere extremely hot. In both cases the capacity of the cable is equal to or greater than that of the protective device.
In the Cali you're unlikely to plug anything in that will pull more than a few amps. Even if you did manage it you still have a 13A fuse in the plug.
Volt drop over 25m is unlikely to be more than a couple of percent give the minimal loads we are talking about.
I'm happy with 1.5mmsq, its just easier to coil up and stow.

S.

Mixture of reasons I suppose, I want the protection device to be easily the lowest capacity part of the system. The thicker insulation also gives more mechanical protection on a trailing lead. Agree voltage drop is unlikely to be an issue with 240V and the distances involved. The ratings are based on an uncoiled and open lead to dissipate heat build up.
The main reason is that I asked what size one of our design engineers used (on his caravan).
As the Beach doesn't have a heater as std I also use a small fan heater which prob has more load than a full Cali would use.

Hi
did exactly that went to local electrical wholesalers bought 25m of artic (blue) flex and socket and plug and made it myself
much cheaper than bought lead and not horrible orange !!
dave and lisa :thumb

Oops, we've hijacked the original post and turned it into an electrical engineering debate.

Small fan heater, 10A? Derated cable for coiled scenario?
Probably still a bit of redundancy in there.
Mechanical protection ? The hook up will have an RCD so we should be covered there.

That said, you're probably better off with 2.5 given that BS7671 calls for that size. It is referring to caravans though, which generally take more load ( they like the heating on full blast when they're watching "Strictly").
You know how picky insurance companies can be.

Maybe I'll make up another cable with reversed polarity, just for those European trips :lol:

S.