Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hookup cable length ?

L

Laidback

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Is there any advantage in getting a 25m length over a 10m + 15m length ( ignore cost ) ?
thanks.

You wont have the weight and bulk of the extra 2 plugs/sockets needed for 2 shorter lengths joined together.

Yes there is. With 2 cables you get the choice of 3 lengths. 10. 15 and 25m and also if you buy a splitter you can split the power and have 240 in your awning or outside for electric cooking as well as leave the van connected.edit I meant no there isn't.

Last edited:
Yes there is. With 2 cables you get the choice of 3 lengths. 10. 15 and 25m and also if you buy a splitter you can split the power and have 240 in your awning or outside for electric cooking as well as leave the van connected.edit I meant no there isn't.
Yep we gone down that route

Also have the shorter lengths and splitter option.

I carry two 10m lengths.
Rarely need both, but can sometimes come in handy when required.
Both coil up and fit next to the battery in the engine bay.

Reactions: M32
Is there any advantage in getting a 25m length over a 10m + 15m length ( ignore cost ) ?
thanks.
In the U.K. you rarely need more than the 10m cable. On the Continent a different matter all together. I carry both.

We Carry 2 5m & 10m neatly coiled and stored in my engine compartment.

Generally, when staying at sites where we want hookup we just consider the nearest electric point when picking a pitch. No problems at most sites.

It's worth noting that some of the clubs (def CMHC) do not allow the joining of the multiple cables. It may depend in the wardens and if your lucky they'll let it go. We've had a couple that came and told us to disconnect them. Also had one who came to confirm the rules, but then said that once its dark they obviously wouldn't be checking.

Jason

Thanks all, for your input.

It's worth noting that some of the clubs (def CMHC) do not allow the joining of the multiple cables. It may depend in the wardens and if your lucky they'll let it go. We've had a couple that came and told us to disconnect them. Also had one who came to confirm the rules, but then said that once its dark they obviously wouldn't be checking.

I was going to write, ridiculous policy, CE connector are IP44 rated and I assume no-one would be stupid enough to lay it in a puddle... :headbang

But anyway, vans these days have RCDs and the charging bollard they're connected to also should have.

I carry a 25m in my camping bag stored in the boot and a 10m in the rear cupboard with pegs etc for the awning which usually suffices.

I carry a 30m cable stored above the engine battery. No connection to worry laying under the rain, assuming it will be even allowed. If I'm only 10m away from the EHU , I just chuck the rest unrolled under the van , no issue there. Rolling the extracable around my elbow at the end of a holiday it takes me a few seconds longer, which I saved plenty when I don't have to faff to see which cable I need, connecting the two etc. and putting away two cables.
On the plug (which is actually a socket) that connects to the van I have a socket on the back of it, so if I need power in the awning I can connect it there.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgur...vjmAhWoVBUIHbUmDPcQMwhJKAQwBA&iact=mrc&uact=8

I think that the apparent over regulated approach to safety is generated by mans abillity to circumvent any safety device/guidance due to ignorance and/or stupidity.

Thanks everybody for your advice on the cable lengths, and for the various site regs regarding joined cables, will take that onboard, thanks again.

I think that the apparent over regulated approach to safety is generated by mans abillity to circumvent any safety device/guidance due to ignorance and/or stupidity.

I love the Darwin Awards. And just found this Darwin-To-Be:

1578672927835.png

thanks.
I have them and it makes hook a lot easier, if the bollard is close by. Less cable, less weight when rolling it up.