Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hot water in a Cali

Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
Does anyone know if there is any problem putting hot (not boiling) water in the water tank. I have a factory fitted shower and want to use with hot water and also wish to wash dishes etc. Idea would be to heat water in a solar type black bag and pour into tank. If no sun, would use boiling water, cooled down first. Just concerned could affect tank/pump/seals etc. Also, any issues with bacteria etc if using hot water. Thanks.

Can’t answer your question specifically but seems like a lot of faff for little return. For washing dishes why not just heat some water and then use that to wash the dishes. For the shower, you would have to have an empty tank before pouring in the warmed up water otherwise it would cool down the second you added it to the tank. You would also need to heat quite a lot to make it worthwhile . There are other far more efficient shower solutions in the shop :)

Cheekily filled our water tank with hot water from a camp site to shower after standup paddle boarding. We emptied it as soon as we had finished.

Does anyone know if there is any problem putting hot (not boiling) water in the water tank. I have a factory fitted shower and want to use with hot water and also wish to wash dishes etc. Idea would be to heat water in a solar type black bag and pour into tank. If no sun, would use boiling water, cooled down first. Just concerned could affect tank/pump/seals etc. Also, any issues with bacteria etc if using hot water. Thanks.
I was thinking of the same, before my Cali i use to do it with a 16L canister, where i was getting straight hot water from the tap. It was still nice and medium temp by the end of the day.

So I have the same question as yours... Putting hot water from the tap be a bad thing for the Cali water tank?

Not for the shower as mine is a 2009 without shower, but I have fitted a Truma 5L 300W water heater and it's made the van into a whole different and far more usable beast - with porta poti too, no facilities are required. Truma just goes on the bottom of the left cupboard and still leave shelf space, standard-fit Cali tap has a H/C mixer direct replacement with H and C hoses, power for the heater (and the 13A socket too!) without hook up connected is supplied from a 700W inverter in the side of the right cupboard running via switched ignition relay (engine running) from the main battery and alternator, and with hook up connected, socket and heater are auto switched to be powered from the hook up. On the road the heater is on and you can pull up, wash your hands for 20 seconds whilst singing something appropriate, draw hot water into the 500W mains kettle for a minute or two to boil for tea, have an all-over wash at night so no showers needed, etc. It sounds a lot of work to do, but boy is it worth it.

Not for the shower as mine is a 2009 without shower, but I have fitted a Truma 5L 300W water heater and it's made the van into a whole different and far more usable beast - with porta poti too, no facilities are required. Truma just goes on the bottom of the left cupboard and still leave shelf space, standard-fit Cali tap has a H/C mixer direct replacement with H and C hoses, power for the heater (and the 13A socket too!) without hook up connected is supplied from a 700W inverter in the side of the right cupboard running via switched ignition relay (engine running) from the main battery and alternator, and with hook up connected, socket and heater are auto switched to be powered from the hook up. On the road the heater is on and you can pull up, wash your hands for 20 seconds whilst singing something appropriate, draw hot water into the 500W mains kettle for a minute or two to boil for tea, have an all-over wash at night so no showers needed, etc. It sounds a lot of work to do, but boy is it worth it.
Useful info. I have been debating whether adding hot water is worth the effort.
I've found a mixer tap. Comet London hot and cold mixer tap which looks like a good direct replacment.
I've ordered the kit to fit an external shower point from vw.
And am looking at the Elgena 3l or 6l 12v 200w/230v 660w heater.
I love a project but not sure whether to commit?

... I have fitted a Truma 5L 300W water heater and it's made the van into a whole different and far more usable beast...
Sounds great - was it a DIY project or did you have someone do it? I'd love to have hot water in the van but I'm completely incompetent with practical things...

Have you not seen those water heaters off the engine? Apparently is technology from the boats

I’ve never understand why VeeDub don’t offer the Eberspacher water heater as an option. Great little units. Fitted on all BT transits for years for hand washing after digging holes in the road.
I think they integrate into the engine pre-heat unit so the Cali is half way there already.

Have you not seen those water heaters off the engine? Apparently is technology from the boats
Yes, most cabin boats are fitted with a system that uses engine cooling water to heat the domestic calorifier, these systems also have an electrical element that uses shore power when in the marina.
Calorifiers start at about 15 ltrs but as most boats (sail at least) would have at least 150 ltr drinking water tanks, the utility of relying on the Cali's mere 30 tank gives cause for concern, particularly when on hook up.

For me this comes down to two types of shower scenario.

A quick outside rinse off in your swimmers on a hot day.......or a 365 cold weather facilities type shower.

One is easy in terms of additional kit:screens/curtains/awnings/tents etc, the other isn’t.

I couldn’t be bothered with the faf of the latter.

I’ve never understand why VeeDub don’t offer the Eberspacher water heater as an option. Great little units. Fitted on all BT transits for years for hand washing after digging holes in the road.
I think they integrate into the engine pre-heat unit so the Cali is half way there already.
I agree. New Oceans are a King's ransom these days with the list prices of some examples easily topping £70k. I've always thought that for VW to ask that much for a van with no hot water is both lazy and arrogant. I'm sure that like many much cheaper conversions, they could have included an efficient hot water heater years ago but just haven't bothered. Their view appearing to be - People keep buying them so why bother.

Anyone tried this?

Anyone tried this?

Or found am English language site or translation ?

I emailed them a long time ago and got no response.
I now use a 12L plastic water container, combined with a USB rechargeable submersible shower pump.If it’s cold outside I heat a couple of pans of water on the hob and mix this with cold water. If it’s hot outside a cold shower is refreshing.

just use google Translate...I think inside box they use the Elgena Bolier 3L... for space and efficieny I think it is best to install it inside the module like on my post #16.... 2 purposes, hot water in the tab and for the shower. and it also safes so much space

Not in a Cali but a Bodans conversion T5. I fitted an Elgena KB3 purely because of the tiny size (they do a 6L too). On hook up it heats 3L in about 15mins and when mixed gives about 8-10L of nice hot/warm water. They do a 12v/240v version but I stay on site mainly so just got the 240v, although I do suppose I could run it through an inverter. Water stays hot inside for about 18-24hrs, so you can heat up before travel and have warm water as soon as you arrive. Pic is from under the sink, next to a leisure battery and the charger to show the dinky size. For the money it's brilliant when on site.IMG_20200604_152039.jpg

I have been talking with a Camper Mechanic and apparently they can also run hot water via the Termotop from the van... Around 800 euros arrangement (in Spain), expensive but no additional devices to run... It is basically the system warms the coolant from your car... So in cold with 15 of running your engine or less you have hot water.

Like the idea of the Themotop ‘conversion’ meanwhile our Kampa Geyser is a good piece if kit, yep something else to carry but they are effective.
what unit fo tbey fit in the GC or are there options?

I have gone for a cheap and simple solution for hot water which I saw mentioned on another thread, an Addis Thermo Pot (available in either 3.5 or 5 litre sizes) As a 240v only item this needs mains electric hook up. However, the main element only takes 680w, so some inverters would work with it. It is insulated and once up to the required temperature only draws 2w to maintain that level. At £60/£70 from Amazon I thought it was worth trying. I can always find a use for it in the house if it doesn’t help in the Cali.

8DBD0212-800C-48B8-A6CA-D6F14D4D691F.png

Last edited:
Back