Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How come you own one?

We came at Cali ownership via a VW enthusiast / product design route.

My uni years had been spent criss-crossing the country in a bay-window T2, after which my brother & I had all manner of old veedubs, from splits to '57 and '68 bugs, a Karmann Ghia and, finally for me, a 1990 T4 Westy.

The Westy was bought because (a) getting a family of four off this little island by plane is horrifically expensive and (b) my boys were fascinated with campers' Swiss-army-knife type utility. The one potential stopper was whether my better half could live with it, but the residual values meant we could own "Rosie" for a year, and sell her if my wife hated camping, without risking much financially. The fact that we'd also spent nearly two years living in a roof-tented Landy a decade ago did indicate a certain predisposition for living on the hoof... In any case, she warmed to it immediately and we were all smitten.

We may have stayed with Rosie for many more years had my love of product design not got the better of me. As soon as we had Rosie I started looking at the more modern versions. I loved the way the design had evolved, no need for revolution, just continuous improvement of each an every aspect / function. A few weeks on here highlighted that they may not have got every detail right :)eek:), but the overwhelming feeling was of a product well-loved by its designers, well-used by them too, and one that I knew we would just have to bite the bullet and get on and order. :)

A year on with Rosie Too and we couldn't be happier. In the mid-term I can see an overlanding-focussed 4Motion in our future, but for now we're enjoying many great moments with Rosie.

Last edited:
There are some great responses here!!
Nice one mate, you've started a great thread that has brought out some wonderful nostalgia which has been a really good read. Hope I didn't break forum etiquette with my tag.

Is your next memory making road trip coming up anytime soon?

Oh and by the way, do you happen to have a certain little ditty going around and around and around in your head at the moment?

Nice one mate, you've started a great thread that has brought out some wonderful nostalgia which has been a really good read. Hope I didn't break forum etiquette with my tag.

Is your next memory making road trip coming up anytime soon?

Oh and by the way, do you happen to have a certain little ditty going around and around and around in your head at the moment?
It's great to see how people evolve into California owners huh?
No ettiquette broken as far as I can tell @Pete_Hampton I just thought it was funny :D

Not quite sure when out next trip will be. In the school holidays in August we have got something half planned but hope to do a few more spontaneous trips before then.

Not quite sure about the ditty, but I'm blowing all the clouds away if thats what you mean :cool:

Hope you have plenty of outings especially now that spring is finally making an appearance :thumb

I’ve always had a love for Vws, the design technology, reliability and quality have fascinated me for the past 25 years. My first car being a mk2 polo coupe GT and then on in, 6 Mk2’s over time ranging from a tornado red golf driver, various 8v Gti’s, (1 rare with AC :-0) a 16v oak green and a rare dark bergundy pearl LHD Golf G60. I regrettably sold the last one for a sports saloon Audi, enjoyed it for a year, spent a fortune on fuel and insurance then our son arrived.
My fix for VAG vehicles still remained so I needed to combine this addiction with something that fit all of my requirements (except a V8 rumble) and along came the California, or cammervan’ as my 22 month old son calls it.
I haven’t looked back since and touch wood, 4000 miles in all is good.

Im seriously thinking about hiring ours out in Sweden so others can experience the fun, there are so little here and that's what got us hooked after hiring in Brighton multiple times before we bought our first.

In 2015 I started to struggle with simple tasks like walking up a flight of stairs. I'd get out of breath at the slightest task. Of course I went to the quack, but was just dismissed. I pushed and pushed as in my mind I was only 42 but felt like I was on my last legs.

Then in 2016 out the blue I was diagnosed with Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy HOCM for short, a common heart condition also known as sudden cardiac death syndrome (chearful I know lol). I have a son aged 6 who loved to camp and we have previously tented. But with the symptoms I struggled to put up the tent so opted for a Cali. I can't really afford the Cali, but you can't put a price on childhood memories! However the Cali is great therapy as when it's stressful at work, I just depart in the bus with the family. So for me the reason I ended up in a Cali was a journey

Interestingly, I had recent thoughts should I keep my van. A winter of little camper or day van use, occasionally using to commute 100miles to reduce mileage on the car, a summer calendar full of non-camping activities taking up the weekends, 3 abroad holidays not using it and a potential to release funds in preparation for daughter's venture into university education stacked in favour of getting rid and changing for a people carrier / SUV.
Then, during the Easter holidays the weather broke for 2 days, that was it, my son and I were off surfing. I felt the love again, and its staying for sure...

To continue the thread, here is a pic of my Dad's FG.
..FG.jpg

Clare was in hospital between week 26 and week 32 of her pregnancy with Jack. On week 32 he was born 6/7 weeks early and spent several days in the neonatal ward.

We decided then that we would both take a year out and travel around the EU with our two boys before it became too late and school would come in the way.

We bought Amarillo for its chameleon-like ability to transform itself from 5 berth sleeping accommodation to 7 seat MPV to van. We expect to still be driving Amarillo in 2027 when Ben will be 13 and Jack 12.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

Interestingly, I had recent thoughts should I keep my van. A winter of little camper or day van use, occasionally using to commute 100miles to reduce mileage on the car, a summer calendar full of non-camping activities taking up the weekends, 3 abroad holidays not using it and a potential to release funds in preparation for daughter's venture into university education stacked in favour of getting rid and changing for a people carrier / SUV.
Then, during the Easter holidays the weather broke for 2 days, that was it, my son and I were off surfing. I felt the love again, and its staying for sure...

To continue the thread, here is a pic of my Dad's FG.
..View attachment 32270
Love it. Thrup’ny bit cab

Ever since 1975 when I owned one whilst living in Germany, I yearned to have one again. In April 2015, that wish was granted and I couldn't be more pleased! Every trip is a delight and should the XXL ever become a reality, when we get too old to climb into the "loft" I know what my next wish will be.

I asked myself a few questions recently to understand how on earth I ended up with a California Ocean…

What do I need to commute?
Cycling the 22 miles each way daily in all seasons is a bit much to ask for most people I’d guess including me. But not wishing to be on a motorbike either maybe a BMW I3 would be ideal.

How often do I take a break camping or renting a cottage etc?
Pretty much once a year to a destination we’ve flown to and I find insulation far too satisfying to holiday in tents. I love the idea of camping but don’t much like the practicality.

How much am I comfortable with spending on my transport?
A fair bit less than a brand new California ocean costs.

So far then, what the blazers am I doing owning one?

A whole load of bits an pieces have pulled me in I suppose.
I am always drawn to things with a cult status for a start. Don’t get me wrong they don’t burn so hard that I adopt them all but I love to see a scooter craze, I love to see a Harley ride out and yes the many genres of VW in mass at club meets. But that alone would not make me fork out a fortune to own a Camper van.

The older I get the more I realise that I haven’t appreciated the sights around the British Isles or European destination anywhere near enough and I’m pretty rubbish at planning too far ahead so a touch of last minute possibility coming to fruition is an inspiration.

My Daughter is 11 years old and I also figure that the more getaways we can have together before she decides to do things her way the better and genuinely, having a vehicle with the ability to get away parked on the drive means we will take the opportunity far more often.

Although I love a bit of luxury like space, the California is luxury. But it’s luxury as far as the idea of camping goes with it’s fridge, hob, heater, beds, blinds, lights, chairs and tables and all the fact that goes where ever we do makes it 5 star luxury….and there are 2 adults, 1 child and a smallish Cockerpoo so not too bad on space.
On that note, regardless of a BMW I3 being a good fit I can still commute in this with no issues, I can park in plenty of places where I could in a car and its running costs don't worry me either.

On top of that lot ,we added a dog to the family about 18 months ago and it became clear pretty quickly that jetting off abroad was going to be stressful for him and then in turn us as a family by leaving him behind. But hang on…what about those european destinations I ‘d like to explore? well he can come too! That holidays sorted including visists to family far a field.
Suddenly the usage we are planning to get out of this slice of luxury offsets the cost to a degree that makes it a far more comfortable purchase.
I’d hate to tow anything and pitch it in one place and pretty much everything about the california's size on the move rules it in and a motorhome out.
I know a fair few people with some cacophony of van and I never heard any real grumbles about the weather and space spoiling the trip they just had and nobody I know that bought one ever got bored or found the idea being better than the reality.
On top of all this it seemed a long time since I was this interested in an idea. But over the last 3 years it’s something that wouldn’t go away. I never pushed the idea but it just kept finding a way back into the forefront of my mind. The versatility of the van for my running and cycling hobbies etc while out and about. Seeing hoards of them in places where I wanted to be but didn’t want to stop to try to find somewhere to eat or grab a cuppa kept bringing back the idea.
So we hired one just to get the idea out of my head. proving that this vehicle would not take my gear, would not offer enough space and would be no better than camping.
The hired T6 was an instant hit before we even slept in it which turned out to be just as successful.
So when we got home and looked at the figures, I felt we couldn’t lose even if I woke up one day without the passion for all I have just mentioned.
Roughly 4 months in with only 1 spring day in all that time and day trips, commutes and a long week end away have all been brilliant. It is a pleasure and for me it is a luxury.
No looking back.
I asked myself a few questions recently to understand how on earth I ended up with a California Ocean…

Cycling the 22 miles each way daily in all seasons is a bit much to ask for most people I’d guess including me. But not wishing to be on a motorbike either maybe a BMW I3 would be ideal.

Pretty much once a year to a destination we’ve flown to and I find insulation far too satisfying to holiday in tents. I love the idea of camping but don’t much like the practicality.

I am always drawn to things with a cult status for a start. Don’t get me wrong they don’t burn so hard that I adopt them all but I love to see a scooter craze, I love to see a Harley ride out and yes the many genres of VW in mass at club meets. But that alone would not make me fork out a fortune to own a Camper van.

The older I get the more I realise that I haven’t appreciated the sights around the British Isles or European destination anywhere near enough and I’m pretty rubbish at planning too far ahead so a touch of last minute possibility coming to fruition is an inspiration.

My Daughter is 11 years old and I also figure that the more getaways we can have together before she decides to do things her way the better and genuinely, having a vehicle with the ability to get away parked on the drive means we will take the opportunity far more often.

Although I love a bit of luxury like space, the California is luxury. But it’s luxury as far as the idea of camping goes with it’s fridge, hob, heater, beds, blinds, lights, chairs and tables and all the fact that goes where ever we do makes it 5 star luxury….and there are 2 adults, 1 child and a smallish Cockerpoo so not too bad on space.
On that note, regardless of a BMW I3 being a good fit I can still commute in this with no issues, I can park in plenty of places where I could in a car and its running costs don't worry me either.

On top of that lot ,we added a dog to the family about 18 months ago and it became clear pretty quickly that jetting off abroad was going to be stressful for him and then in turn us as a family by leaving him behind. But hang on…what about those european destinations I ‘d like to explore? well he can come too! That holidays sorted including visists to family far a field.
Suddenly the usage we are planning to get out of this slice of luxury offsets the cost to a degree that makes it a far more comfortable purchase.
I’d hate to tow anything and pitch it in one place and pretty much everything about the california's size on the move rules it in and a motorhome out.
I know a fair few people with some cacophony of van and I never heard any real grumbles about the weather and space spoiling the trip they just had and nobody I know that bought one ever got bored or found the idea being better than the reality.
On top of all this it seemed a long time since I was this interested in an idea. But over the last 3 years it’s something that wouldn’t go away. I never pushed the idea but it just kept finding a way back into the forefront of my mind. The versatility of the van for my running and cycling hobbies etc while out and about. Seeing hoards of them in places where I wanted to be but didn’t want to stop to try to find somewhere to eat or grab a cuppa kept bringing back the idea.
So we hired one just to get the idea out of my head. proving that this vehicle would not take my gear, would not offer enough space and would be no better than camping.
The hired T6 was an instant hit before we even slept in it which turned out to be just as successful.
So when we got home and looked at the figures, I felt we couldn’t lose even if I woke up one day without the passion for all I have just mentioned.
Roughly 4 months in with only 1 spring day in all that time and day trips, commutes and a long week end away have all been brilliant. It is a pleasure and for me it is a luxury.
No looking back.
Fantastic read and this echo,s how Denise and I feel about this brill vehicle

No looking back.
Great post. I particularly attune to the notion of freely exploring more of the British Isles and mainland Europe. Just on the cusp of semi retirement and looking forward to the freedom and synergy of time and a California.

No looking back.

I've always had itchy feet, maybe because we lived in a number of different places when I was young and my dad was in the RN and was posted here and there.
When he retired we moved to Worcestershire for his new job and he was able to indulge his passion for cars - always on the cheap, always needing his input to keep them going. And if you have a car you love, you travel! Older siblings had left home or away at school, mum wasn't so keen, but I loved going places with my dad in a car that got looked at.
Yes I'm getting there......

Life became static once I had children and no money, but when the kids grew up I though 'what shall I do now?' - and bought a motorcycle. That led me to travel round large parts of Britain visiting beautiful, strange, small and large 'landmarks', some you'd never discover except by accident or by doing what I was doing, the 'Round Britain Rally'. I combined this with camping at bike rallies, all slotted in perfectly togather. But anno domini stepped in, with arthritis which made camping progressively more difficult and eventually impossible, and finally stopped me riding altogether.

At about the same time, an elderly relative died and I inherited a share in his house, which we turned into cash in the bank. No plans for a campervan at the time, but one day I was looking at a picture of a friend's old style VW camper and my other half looked over my shoulder and said "If we were younger, we could have one of those'. Well I knew what he meant, but I though - why do we have to be younger? So I started hunting for the right van.

Looked at lots of different makes and conversions, did some research, and decided it had to be VW. Had to be automatic as I have a gammy leg, and I wanted high-top for the standing room and LWB for the extra storage space knowing I'd have a mobility scooter sooner rather than later. Oh and it had to be a used one for the money I wanted to spend.

Started going through adverts, asking advice etc etc, but I found that whenever I became interested in a van it had sold before I got there - irritating but a good recommendation! Then there was this T5, auto, hightop, LWB - but it was beige. Oh well, maybe I could live with that if the rest was ok, so I phoned the dealer who said they would bring it over to their local place nearer to me. When I had a look it was all in excellent condition, had everything I wanted, but the upholstery was 70s looking with circles and squares in horrible shades of yellow and mustard, and prickly to sit on like old-fashioned railway carriages!

So I politely told the salesman I wasn't interested and he said, well we do have this one... SWB, pop top, black (didn't want black) but I thought I might as well have a look... it was a 2007 California SE.

That was it. I got in, had a look round, and just fell totally and completely in lust! Had a test drive and bought it on the spot, and I'm still in love with Sexy Rexy! Yes I have the mobility scooter now, I just bought a scooter to fit the van rather than the other way round.

IF you're still reading, and if you're thinking about getting a California - don't think, Just do it!

No looking back.
Vanessa and I got together in January. She took three months to come, but that's ok. I'm a fit 69 and have always wanted one. Thanks to VW finance she's now mine, and it is the last vehicle I'll ever buy. Apart from the seat fabric that shows every mark, no complaints. Also my car, very easy to drive and fits a parking bay. Escape via sliding door à few times. So glad I took the plunge.

Back