Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do I fit and remove a Vanorak roof cover

steviej

steviej

VIP Member
Can anyone help with advice on fitting and removing a Vanorak roof cover to my 2010 facelift Cali. I’ve just bought a second-hand Vanarak on ebay. Its in really good condition, but came with no instructions as to how to put it on & off.

I am assuming that the kador strip on the cover is slid into the channel on the nearside of the vehicle and then the straps on the offside are loosely secured to something on the roll out awning??? – and then the roof is raised and the straps tightened. What I am a little puzzled about how is the roof lowered without trapping the Vanorak in the scissors. I’ve only had my Cali for a few months and I am ultra careful (obsessed) about raising and lowering the roof.

Re: How do I fit and remove a Vanarak roof cover

Hi
I have the Vanorak and you are just about right in how to put it on. I did have a paper copy of how to place it on the Cali but I cannot find it at the moment. If I do i will scan it and email you a copy.

My best method is to slide the Vanorak into the grove on the nearside as you say,, raise the roof about 12 inches high (remembering to follow instructions as required in your Cali manual and previous guide on this forum), then flip over the cover on the roof then fit all four corners of the cover onto the roof.

You can then raise the roof to its highest point.

To secure the Vanorak at the rear unhook the 2 black cords and then hook them through the black black brackets and connect. Not sure what to do if you have no bike rack fitted, possibly secure them between the rear door and the frame of the the Cali.

If you have the awning fitted, open it out approx 6 inches lift up the flap and you will see another groove running the full length, unhook the black cords from memory there are about 6 of them, and slide them along the length and match up the each clip on the Vanorak. Tighten the flap on the awning and tighten the cords to fit as required.

As for removing the Vanorak there are no greater problems than already known just reverse the instructions above. In some cases like a windy day it can be a help stopping the bellows catching in the scissors.

Thanks californiaDAN, that's very useful. I slept up in the roof on the Suffolk coast a couple of weekends ago and was a little cold - so looking forward to using the Vanorak.

Always willing to help where I can!

I bought my Cali 2 years ago and my first night spent in Derbyshire where the temperature dropped to -15! My Vanorak was on order at the time. I couldn't get the van off the caravan site due to 3 feet of snow and had to leave it there for a week.

The Vanorak is an absolute godsend in cold or stormy weather.

Just be careful my vanorak before I dumped it was tight and nearly cost me a new roof.
It got caught one side and I didn't notice I put the roof up and buckled the roof slightly
Vw didn't want to know said it was my fault it ripped the vanorak as well. i tried to complain to the supplier they didn't respond.I favour the mutze or calitopper design where it lifts up with the roof So if it gets caught it causes no damage. Wouldn't want it to happen to anybody else

I do have an e-mail with the photos and fitting instructions on it ,so I'll have a hunt for it if needed ...:)
I must admit it is slightly bulky compared to the mutze and topper ,but it does work well and I can put it on by myself having one side in the channel :)

if the vanorak fitting instructions are needed then e-mail me at ....choplee@btinternet.com
;)

Can somebody, anybody or even everybody help me choose the ideal/best insulator for the California pop-up roof? I've been dipping in and out of various forms of this topic and am a little confused as what's what. For a start how many are there? These are the names I've heard mentioned on this forum :help
1. Brandrup Goretex pop-up roof insulation.
2. Iso-top roof insulator.
3. Vanorak.
4. Pucer pop-up roof cover.
5. A Cali Topper.
6. A Mutze.
Are some of the above I've mentioned the same thing or are there six or more to choose from ?
I'd like to get some sort of concensus on a) the full and proper name for these items, b) the current prices, and c) the pros and cons of each one especially those of you who have got or owned more than one of them. :thanks in anticipation.

Hi there Viking I will try and help but please remember this is my opinion only and it will depend on what you want the cover to do.
Brandrup the Brandrup goretex comes in two types 1 you attach inside and can be left in place with the roof down 2 slightly thicker more insulated that can't be left in place
Both in the region of £500
Vanorak a waterproof cover that goes over the whole roof on the outside not sure if you can still buy them
The mutze cover again a waterproof cover that goes over the entire roof good product that folds down small enough to fit in the tailgate with the chairs. Available from Germany. About £430 euro
The Cali topper is a waterproof cover similar to the mutze but made in the uk £250
I have owned a vanorak. And now own a mutze cap I have also seen the calitopper and in my opinion out of the three waterproof covers for the outside the calitopper is by far the best fitting
As it has been developed around the mutze with some very good additions for keeping it tight and stopping it flapping
The pucer screen is an insulated cover that fits to the outside of the canvas it will insulate but
I don't think it is fully waterproof
I hope this helps

Great, informative explanation Calikev! That's exactly what I thought when I was looking at all the different types of roof covers. The Vanarak seemed to have gone bad with no after-sales service and a few bad reports. I am sure it was the best at the time, but things have moved on. The Mutze was my choice...not the one for roof bars which seems very 'bitty' and complicated...and I was just about to get one when I saw the CaliTopper on here! Glad I did as not only is a fantastic fit, a simple and neat solution, and the best looking, it's half the flippin' price just about! :crazy
Made in the UK not Taiwan, and by enthusiasts of the VW California. Can't think of a reason to choose anything else, and I didn't! Topper and sides working a treat in a rather freezing cold Spain!
:cool :cool :cool :cool

Back