Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you get flies out of the van?

Barbara

Barbara

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 Beach
While traveling last month though Spain I had at least 2 flies that would not leave the van, they had a 1000km or so trip with me. Flying around inside as they wished. Sometimes they had friends. I tried opening windows and they would just head to the floor, hide and refuse to leave. If I opened a window when parked or a door to get out one may leave but others came in.

I have considered fly spray but all the aerosols are big. Does anyone know of a small one? Also not sure it is a good idea in a closed space that I am driving in.

Also thought of plugging something in when parked but would that cause the alarm to go off. I was not camping so only left van in car parks.

Not possible to put up nets just for getting in and out, they even get in in while stopping for coffee or just opening the window a bit of air while parked.

Spain has lots of flying insects. Mainly looking to join me or dyeing on the windscreen.

All suggestions welcome.

Outdoor Revolution do a insectocutor / rechargeable light combo - very small. Guess you’d need it on when dark in the van. We’ve had one for about a year, but not observed any direct hits on flies.

PS not while driving

Bug-a-salt, it’s the only way

BC484E09-8B74-4852-BB88-8771882F1EF4.jpeg

Cordless vacuum cleaner

Bug-a-salt, it’s the only way

View attachment 102969

This gets my vote! @Barbara , you know you need this for Christmas! ;) :thumb

I use a small electric racket from Bloq Insects. Fun to zap the bastards if they dare enter.
c28c09ab547a3f38af24bad007dd3928.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone that gives we food for thought for my next trip.

I use such a device. Virtually essential in some areas, such as near Lake Myvtan in Iceland.
View attachment 102968
Have used many similar to this for years, living in Greece, but use the ones with flat tablets. No mess or risk of spillage and help keep the van fly-free.

Have used many similar to this for years, living in Greece, but use the ones with flat tablets. No mess or risk of spillage and help keep the van fly-free.

I have one for use in my apartment and I had it with me in case it was needed in a hotel but unfortunately on use in van as I need something that does not need mains power. I was staying in hotels so no power to van. Does anyone know if you can get one that runs on USB? I think it may need more power to heat the tablet. I think I will be spaying the van with fly killer as I park up.

No inverter in my van too old (T5)

I have one for use in my apartment and I had it with me in case it was needed in a hotel but unfortunately on use in van as I need something that does not need mains power. I was staying in hotels so no power to van. Does anyone know if you can get one that runs on USB? I think it may need more power to heat the tablet. I think I will be spaying the van with fly killer as I park up.

No inverter in my van too old (T5)

USB , rechargeable.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09QFWS8R8/?tag=eliteelect-21

Where is everyones humanity?

All this talk of chemical, electrical, power assisted killing methods:shocked

I talk to them, ask them nicely to leave.

After that, if they have not gone, I discuss travel plans, ask if they have any relatives in the places I am travelling to, would they not feel lonely turning up somewhere miles from home not knowing anyone?

If still there then I advise them of any spiders that I may have no board, or more menacingly, what I might attract on our shared travels.

If still there I swat the buggers!!! Best use for the caravan club magazine, always have an edition to hand!

Back