• Total voters
Andy

Andy

Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
LowMan said:
We wondered if anyone might be able to answer an additional query on this topic.

We used our Cali for the first time last weekend to try everything out. we stayed overnight in Baslow at the Chatsworth Caravan Park, just a stones throw from 'The House' itself. It was a great evening. The only downside was the firmness of the downstairs bed. we realised that, if we were going to have a longer spell away, we'd have to address it.

We have the Zonesleep that we lay directly onto the seats (we don't have the VW Comfort Mattress).

We were thinking of buying one of the Raskelf memory foam toppers to lay underneath it. We appreciate that it raises the spend on the bed option, but to be honest, we see it as the most essential part of the van :D.

We've seen one on the Camper VanTastic website, shaped for the Cali.

Are the Raskelf toppers and Duvalay toppers one and the same thing? It's just we couldn't find a Duvalay shaped for the Cali anywhere.

Any hints/tips would be welcome.

Thanks

Raskelf duvalay & topper are different. Duvalay has foam base & has a duvet cover built in to it fixed down one side.
Raskelf do a topper that is tailored for the bottom bed, has cutout for the wheel arch.
Camper VanTastic are raskelf resellers.

LowMan

LowMan

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thanks Andy. Think we understand now. I think it is the Raskelf that we're considering.

viking

viking

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Just to clarify for us newbies awaiting delivery of our Cali, can we have a quick survey of peoples topper choice and whether they use it on top of the VW comfort mattress or not. Is the Zonesleep topper or Comfortz topper comfy enough on their own?
Thanks
Poll Now Live[/QUOTE]
We bought two single Raskelf Duvulay mattress and sleeping bag combined (what they were marketed as then) nearly 6 years ago before the Dragon's Den promotion. I'm up top with mine and my wife sleeps below with hers. Nearest thing to a twin bed hotel room. Both roll up and fit in big zip-up bags that fit behind bed/seat when travelling with pillows stuffed between and on top and with a Decathlon pop-up tent in a bag on top and I can still see out a full rear view window. That's with both the winter and summer duvets inside the bags as well

C

Catje

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Maybe not the best place to ask... but we are seeking for a little comfort improvement in the top.... Now only using the standard matras (not the VW comfort). Was looking at the Zonesleep, but was wondering if you can leave it on when closing the roof. Are there any other toppers you can leave on top?

larrylamb

larrylamb

Califandango
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Maybe not the best place to ask... but we are seeking for a little comfort improvement in the top.... Now only using the standard matras (not the VW comfort). Was looking at the Zonesleep, but was wondering if you can leave it on when closing the roof. Are there any other toppers you can leave on top?
Not recommended as there is not enough space, you don't want to buckle your roof.

Martin

Martin

Administrator
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The only way you can keep the zonesleep upstairs in situ is with the Comfortz upstairs mattress (reduced depth)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

C

Catje

Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Thank you for your swift response... I guess we just have to accept to lose some storage room to gain some comfort..

GrannyJen

GrannyJen

goody goody 2shoes
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
The poll is flawed

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
We have the VW mattress
I am only 5foot 7, and find it really comfortable.
It might be different for a taller person.
I have to sleep with my head at the rear, and right up to the door,
The top part of my body is then on the thick sponge bit, and it is great, really comfortable.

I did try a zone sleep on top of it, and it didn't make any difference to my comfort, so sent it back.
I also used one of the Comfortz one on a hired van, with no VW mattress, and that was comfortable to, but the VW on packs away more neatly and quickly

Like a lot of things you can only really know if you try it out, we are all so different

Victor

Victor

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
We have the Zonesleep double layer and find it a vast improvement, also I think the best thing about the Zonesleep is it can be washed. Ours is hanging in the conservatory as we speak

Andyclockwise

Andyclockwise

VIP Member
+1 for Zonesleep, we use ours both upstairs and downstairs picked our up second hand on here

Speleo62

Speleo62

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Re: Mattress Toppers Poll

We have a Comfortz mattress in the roof which as it's in two parts is easy to take out and use downstairs on the odd occasion we sleep downstairs.
Really comfy up and down.
Do you still have the original VW mattress insitu with your comfortz or is it just comfortz up there. If both can you close pop up with both in situ.
Thanks

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Hoping this is still the best place for a mattress layering/ toppering question....all relating to a three seater beach but suspect the principles are the same regardless of variant.

Downstairs
We have the VW Comfort and find it ok. Not incredible but more bed then camp bed in terms of sleep quality. The problem is simply the amount of space above the multiflex that is used up - i.e. 2/3rds of it. So reading this got us wondering id there is a better way - is a Zonesleep on the raw seat better than the VW Comfort? Do they make one that is ideal for the 3 seat beach?

Upstairs

Again, our cali came with a VW mattress up there. Comfort 7/10. Is there a topper that happily coexists with it and can be left in situ without roof problems and if so, what size?

Getting sleeping / space sorted is a real priority right now - nearly 1 year into owning our first cali.

calikev

calikev

Administrator
Staff member
Admin/Founder
Vehicle
T5 Beach
1)You have 2 choices for improvement upstairs
Either a comfortz replacement memory foam mattress complete that comes in 2 halves
(Can be left in place with the roof down)
2) comfortz thinner roof mattress one piece
With an upstairs zonesleep topper.
Some people use the upstairs zonesleep on the downstairs comfort mattress if it is to windy to sleep upstairs

Broch Hunter

Broch Hunter

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 199 4 motion
We use a zonesleep topper with the standard upstairs mattress. The topper takes up little space in the boot and can also be used downstairs if needed. We bought the VW comfort mattress, but it is still in its wrapper as we have never used it.

California Dreamin

California Dreamin

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks Calikev. So no additional room up top if keeping vw mattress then.

Any thoughts on space vs comfort for lower bed?

Amarillo

Amarillo

Tom
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Thanks Calikev. So no additional room up top if keeping vw mattress then.

Any thoughts on space vs comfort for lower bed?
We use an Ikea king size mattress topper, at £75 it is a budget option, and it fits the standard 3 seat bench Beach bed with a 20cm overhang, this overhang is hidden with a sheet tucked under the front of the seat cushion, it also needs a little squishing at the sides towards the boot end. It stows on the multiflex with a 10cm thick triple zig-zag fold.

My reasoning was that the seat is already sprung and comfortable, but that a topper was required to hide the lumps and bumps of things like seat belts, and to smooth out little crevices such as that between the seat cushion and back cushion. I am satisfied that we made the right choice, and all I need now is a bag to keep it clean while stowed.

Ikea also do 140x200cm and 135x190cm versions which may or may not be a better fit.

T

Teejay

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
We use Vango self inflating mats works a charm whether up or down, both pack into the wardrobe. Set up takes 10 mins, take down the same. Advantage over all others is that you adjust for each individual. Had these a few years now and do need a couple of puffs of air to complete.

Cost less than £40 for two.

..me..

T6 CFO

T6 CFO

Mike
Top Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
1)You have 2 choices for improvement upstairs
Either a comfortz replacement memory foam mattress complete that comes in 2 halves
2) comfortz thinner roof mattress one piece
With an upstairs zonesleep topper.
Some people use the upstairs zonesleep on the downstairs comfort mattress if it is to windy to sleep upstairs
First use this week of option number 2 and very comfy it was.

Mike

Richardmk

Richardmk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
An Aldi king size memory foam mattress topper. £35, very comfortable and can be left upstairs with the roof down. Picked up a second on Saturday for the downstairs bed in my Beach - fits perfectly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk