Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How often do you clean out your roof drains?

pchmlk

pchmlk

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
I’m finding my right front roof drain needs syringing out every week or so to keep it flowing freely. I’m sure people aren’t doing this every week and have read a few folk who’ve not lifted their roof all winter.

So, how often do you do yours and is there anything else I should be doing to help it?

I’m finding my right front roof drain needs syringing out every week or so to keep it flowing freely. I’m sure people aren’t doing this every week and have read a few folk who’ve not lifted their roof all winter.

So, how often do you do yours and is there anything else I should be doing to help it?
The drain is only used when the poptop is open. When closed, the water flows forward or back via the side channels.

What is the trigger for you doing this weekly? Is water pooling somewhere?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Can you provide a bit more info ?

The front roof drains vents into the scuttle, either side.
The water will exit the roof drain via a rubber grommet.

Is the grommet clear of obstruction?
there can be a massive amount of detritus build up in the scuttle. I clear mine out yearly And I’m always amazed at the amount of detritus collected in there

To access the scuttle area you will need to remove the wiper arms Then the panel.
However you should be able to see in and located the rubber grommet either side, in line with the A pillars. Lift the bonnet and look through the plastic vent.

hmmm. So I’ve noticed a small wet patch on the front right ‘ceiling’ once the roof is raised. This seems to correlate with the F-R roof drain not draining.

I’m not sure about the assertion that the drains are only for when the roof is raised…unless I have ingress to that area with the roof down, which shouldn’t be happening.

Could some seals be faulty around the roof?

The roof Drain Is in use with the roof down , the roof seal is not water tight, so will allow some water to pass under.

there are several threads on roof drains, route, blocking, clearance and reattaching the tube, so don’t want to repeat.

use the search function and ask if you can’t find the relevant threads

Thanks for the link, I’ve read most/all already as it happens.

So if blowing through the tube fortnightly is too often, maybe I need to look at accessing the drainage tube and replacing it.

Thanks for the link, I’ve read most/all already as it happens.

So if blowing through the tube fortnightly is too often, maybe I need to look at accessing the drainage tube and replacing it.
If the drain is functioning and you still have water coming in then it could be a failure of the sealant around the drain tube or the wiring loom above it.
If in doubt the gently insert a straw or something in the drain opening to keep it clear and reapply more sealant.

If the drain is functioning and you still have water coming in then it could be a failure of the sealant around the drain tube or the wiring loom above it.
If in doubt the gently insert a straw or something in the drain opening to keep it clear and reapply more sealant.
It’s more that the drain seems to block regularly. Any time I’ve noticed ingress, it’s been blocked but blowing it through every couple of weeks doesn’t feel right.

It’s more that the drain seems to block regularly. Any time I’ve noticed ingress, it’s been blocked but blowing it through every couple of weeks doesn’t feel right.
Mine hasn't blocked in 10yrs.

We have owned a Cali since 2012 {t5 then current t6} never cleaned. We do park on a nose-down drive and has a go flow out put of flow.

Ah, for some reason your picture didn’t load while I was out and about yesterday.

I’m being a bit dim. I thought there was a pipe that lead from the gutter to the wheel arch, clearly not - it just drains into the scuttle. However, I can’t see the picture clearly but does that bung have a hole in it? If not…what am I missing?! Thanks for bearing with me here.

Ah, for some reason your picture didn’t load while I was out and about yesterday.

I’m being a bit dim. I thought there was a pipe that lead from the gutter to the wheel arch, clearly not - it just drains into the scuttle. However, I can’t see the picture clearly but does that bung have a hole in it? If not…what am I missing?! Thanks for bearing with me here.
Yes. It's like a flap valve and can stick shut. I suggest you look a that first . If water will flow through it then soak it in silicon spray to stop it sticking.

Fabulous. Thanks very much, will take a look this morning and update. :)

So after removing wiper arms and the scuttle panel I found this hellhole! The valve was a bit gunged up. IMG_7555.jpeg
Very satisfying to clean this all out and throw a couple of buckets of soapy water through there.
IMG_7558.jpeg

Then blew the drain through again with a syringe.

The passenger side drains beautifully but was just as mucky so cleaned it all out.
Now both sides appear to drain equally well with a proper little spout of water coming out of the flap valve rather than just a dribble which was how it was initially.

Fingers crossed it’s all sorted now. Thanks for the all advice chaps, really appreciated and nice to give the confidence to take things apart and get it sorted.

Also, the wiper arms are ++tricky to remove. I was just about to order a removal tool when I saw this video and it worked liked magic So want to share it.
Apply some copper grease to the spline before refitting the arms

So after removing wiper arms and the scuttle panel I found this hellhole! The valve was a bit gunged up. View attachment 123953
Very satisfying to clean this all out and throw a couple of buckets of soapy water through there.
View attachment 123954

Then blew the drain through again with a syringe.

The passenger side drains beautifully but was just as mucky so cleaned it all out.
Now both sides appear to drain equally well with a proper little spout of water coming out of the flap valve rather than just a dribble which was how it was initially.

Fingers crossed it’s all sorted now. Thanks for the all advice chaps, really appreciated and nice to give the confidence to take things apart and get it sorted.
Rule of thumb, read the posts in your own thread.;)

had you covered at post #3 :bananadance2

glad you got it sorted, the amount of detritus that collects in the scuttle is quite amazing, if at any time the roof vents don’t drain properly, that valve is your first port of call

Rule of thumb, read the posts in your own thread.;)

had you covered at post #3 :bananadance2

glad you got it sorted, the amount of detritus that collects in the scuttle is quite amazing, if at any time the roof vents don’t drain properly, that valve is your first port of call
You called it early!

Cut open the end of the gromet of the outlets under the windscreen.
The closed lips make sure water will stop flowing at one point.
I cut mine open and never had any issues with it again.

The drain is only used when the poptop is open. When closed, the water flows forward or back via the side channels.

What is the trigger for you doing this weekly? Is water pooling somewhere?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
@TripleBee - on the roof of my Cali, driving through pouring rain in France, the front roof seal is so nicely placed that not a drop of water enters from there. UK rain does not stand a chance then :) Hence my comment. A good alignment and a regular treatment of Gummi-Pfledge may also contribute to this.

Back