Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How you wash your Roof?

SteveM

SteveM

VIP Member
Some advice required.... everytime I look down on my Cali I see ever more dirt building up in the indents on the main roof section. I would like to give it a bit of a spruce up before winter and get this sorted. Dealers just seem to give it a quick jet wash as do most valet companies and this does nothing to clean it properly. How do folks clean the roof paintwork? any tools or techniques ideas greatful recieved .....

Steve.

I've got the same. I usually wash the roof after it has been wet/is raining so the crud is a little soft! I am very, very careful with the brush so it doesn't get grit, dust, dirt in etc.

Thanks guys - I have been trying it on steps but had a few too many big wobbles reaching to get to the centre!.... I was thinking of opening the roof up once done to allow as much water out of the indents as possible and then leathering them at the back to avoid the dirt marks.... not quite sure how wax is going to get on mind! :D

Steve.

This is why I live in a bungalow. Never see the top of the van...

The answer is not to park it under a window, then you can imagine it is spotless. You should try cleaning mine! 2.7m all the way along.

Washed the van about 4 times since I have had it.

Once I have got the step ladder out like Kev and washed the roof with a sponge.

Every other time I need to get a plastic box out to reach the top of the windscreen so whilst I am up there I give the roof a squirt with the power wash to get the worst off.

I figure that is a good ratio :)

Step ladder with proper lambs wool mit to wash. Plus waxing every few months. Requires agility balance and long arms. Clearly worth paying some keen youngster to do it if you struggle.

I have a lovely little step up that you can get from any diy or online ...a lot less grief than a set of small steps and less chance of scratching the cali ... :shocked ...
i also have a telescopic brush like martin is showing ...takes a few mins ... :thumb
job done ;) :bananadance

Not sure I'd be happy using a brush on my paintwork.
Brushes in my experience end up dulling paintwork over time as they essentially end up scratching the surface. I carefully use a lambs wool mit using only the top few inches of the bucket of water. I am rather OCD regarding cleaning my van.
But it's up to you as to how OCD you are.
I envy those who are more relaxed about it.

actually, having seen someone's post recently with all the suds, and full wax job going on, it made me realise what a dunce I am about cleaning my car...has anyone come across a best practice guide to cleaning your car (without being TOO OCD about it) or have some good tips on what they do...I don't really have the time to do it super-often, and the kids are too young yet to do a decent job of it ;)

Two buckets, stool and a telescopic brush.

First I do the wheels, depending on how bad this might be an alloy wheel cleaner, then an all over power washer to remove any big bits of dirt. A prewash using cheap car shampoo in the power washers low setting ( it has a little nozzle to draw and squirt the shampoo) and leave a little time. Rinse. Wash with microfibre hand mit and shampoo, a bit better quality than the per-wash, then final rinse. Dry immediately with microfibre towel. Wax, not polish, only every few months. It sounds long winded but with even a cheap power washer it's not too bad and microfibre is a wonder textile compared to the sponge and chamois of old.

Andy

Sent from an iPad using Tapatalk

Get yourself a 4 way ladder, one of the ones that converts to a raised platform......great for deportations and v stable for washing the van.

I used to wash the roof every time i did the van, but the novelty wore off!
I rarely bother nowadays but with our pyrenees expedition due in a week i might give it a once over if i get time.

Hi Steve,
I've just been browsing the forum and found this thread about cleaning your California roof.
I paint cars for a living and have done since 1995 so I feel that I could offer you some experience based advice.
Don't use a brush on your paintwork if you care about your California. Even "soft" brushes will leave tiny scratches on your paintwork that if done often enough,will leave the clear coat looking dull. The only way to restore that lack-lustre damage will be to machine polish the affected area's. This process takes a very small amount of lacquer off the surface but is perfectly fine.
I use steps,a soapy sponge and long arms to clean my roof but I see your point about the roof collecting debris. I was amazed at how much rubbish had collected up there so I've ordered a fitted cover for when it's stood outside.

Cheers,
Mike.

I use steps and wash-mit.

I got into the habit of only doing the roof every 3 or 4th wash but noticed that the water carried on beading up on the rest of the van but wetted on the roof.

So now I have cleaned and re-waxed the roof and wash it every time using steps.

Goodness, surely not a problem?

I just gave the butler a sponge and a pair of steps :?

Seriously, on my A Class I just used a telescopic brush and a set of plastic steps. Planning to do the same again when Albert arrives.

I perch on the wheels and pressure wash it - it's so powerful and the balance points so precarious, I often blast myself off the wheel and fall off. Anything like nasty bird muck is a stepladder and wash mitt job.

My approach is one heavy duty step ladders (less inclined to wobble than light weight ones),a bucket of reasonable hot water with a few drips of fairy liquid,just enough to lubricate the water,that way I don't smear the windows with this and the solution is not strong enough to strip off the wax that's been previously applied.
The vehicle is parked up on full lock so I can use the wheels as a platform to reach across the windscreen easily and get a good start on the roof.
With a good quality large cellulose sponge I get to work washing (I avoid using the cheap sponges that after dipping in water wants to roll out all the way down your arm when raised up) using plenty of water and turning the sponge frequently making sure sponge doesn't get gritted.
Wheels left till last for obvious reasons.
If the vehicle is a bit caked up with mud I loosely clean first then change water and start again.
Dry sponge and leather off in sections.....and walla one gleaming Cali :D
I never use a power wash except for maybe the wheels (call me old fashion ) I just think it forces water into areas that could encourage corrosion

Regards
Alan

Alan said:
My approach is one heavy duty step ladders (less inclined to wobble than light weight ones),a bucket of reasonable hot water with a few drips of fairy liquid,just enough to lubricate the water,that way I don't smear the windows with this and the solution is not strong enough to strip off the wax that's been previously applied.
The vehicle is parked up on full lock so I can use the wheels as a platform to reach across the windscreen easily and get a good start on the roof.
With a good quality large cellulose sponge I get to work washing (I avoid using the cheap sponges that after dipping in water wants to roll out all the way down your arm when raised up) using plenty of water and turning the sponge frequently making sure sponge doesn't get gritted.
Wheels left till last for obvious reasons.
If the vehicle is a bit caked up with mud I loosely clean first then change water and start again.
Dry sponge and leather off in sections.....and walla one gleaming Cali :D
I never use a power wash except for maybe the wheels (call me old fashion ) I just think it forces water into areas that could encourage corrosion

Regards
Alan

You use….

A SPONGE?!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek:

shock-corridor.jpg

Attachments

• shock-corridor.jpg
    shock-corridor.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 3
This is what I use :thumb using a large step ladder :thumb

image.jpg

Calikev said:
This is what I use :thumb using a large step ladder :thumb

Same here, & two buckets of water. One with soap in it & other to rinse mitt.